Seriously addicted to codeine - please help

Posted , 13 users are following.

I need help, this is the first time I've ever written this out.

I am addicted to codeine. My secret, the one I've kept for nearly ten years. I've had a repeat prescription of co-codamol 224 which I get every 3 weeks and then I buy the otc codeine if and when I run out.

On Wednesday I went to my doctors and for the first time he asked me about my prescription and why was I taking it (initially for my arm a long long time ago) he said that I should go on tramadol instead and I insisted that I had to stay on co-codamol. He didn't push it even tho inside I wanted him to push it

.. When is it going to end? I've even tried cutting it down by purchasing those weekly pill tubs and putting them in there so I can see how many I have left. Without them I am anxious and stressed and I can't fuction in my life. But they are the evil in my life and I don't know how to go about stopping it.

What is easiest? Going cold Turkey? Cutting them down? I really need advice.

I know people will say go back to the doctors but I really don't want too, I'm too ashamed I just want to sort this out on my own. Thank you for anyone who reads this

2 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hopefirst and whoever may be considering some kind of replacement therapy for opiates, I want to encourage caution.  Worst withdrawal by far methadone and the longest acting.  Where I detoxed the first time they did not do subutex or any kind of opiate substitution.  I was on an IV for 6 days (usually they do three days at most)  I must admit the amount of methadone I was taking daily it will be hard to believe im still breathing (in the hospital they told me i had some brain damage most likely from respritory depression) so i probobly stoped breathing more then once.  I guess someone wanted me to stick around.  I was taking up to 800mg of methadone daily as well as taking benzodiazapines and sometimes drinking alcohol.  I can barely beleive this when i look back but it is absolutely true.  Over the corse of 1.5 years I had gone from rarely using other then when it priscribed for sugery or medical reasons to a completely legit RX for 200mg methadone per day.  Somewhere in that year and a half a switch flipped in my brain and i went from being physically dependent to a full blown no limits addict.  If you speak to people who have tried methadone to get off of other opiates most will say they hate it.  Where i am from clinics will actually adjust doses upwards to atempt to regulate physical and psychological well being.  The problem is that no matter what if your an opiate addict your body will adjust and soon you will need to up your dose.  Note, these people arent getting high, it is just what it takes to make them feel normal or level.  People i have spken with absolutely hate their situation.  They tried to get off one drug only to become dependent on another drug that has withdrawals like no other.  You can hear and feel the dusgust they have for the situation, even though they are not in active addiction much of there life is still controlled or impacted by a drug.  And if they try to stop they will get very very sick.  MY ADVISE-tear the bandade off fast-detox either medically if you can or monitored by a physician and support staff.  An inpatient medically managed detox I think can offer the fastest turn around to where you may start feeling like yourself again.  It sucks most always but you WILL NOT DIE you may feel like it or even wish it.  Some places treat withdrawal symptoms witch can make that really horrable time at least a little less horrable.  Im sorry for the novel I just wrote.  I just think of people i know who have done subutex or methadone and a year later they are still on it and feel traped.  I AM RJ by the way, thank you for your time.  P.S. my opinion--- tear the bandaid off fast!  It may hurt like hell for a little while, but  You will start healing faster and feeling better. 
    • Posted

FYI Clonidine and Lofexidine are not substitutes and only deal with withdrawal symptoms not mental addiction. Worth noting - they are a safer option if you are scared of getting hooked on something else. For me Lofexidine was just magic, withdrawal with no hateful withdrawal symptoms.
    • Posted

I agree those are pretty safe and effective.  It is possible to detox without going through hellish withdrawel.  Where I have been treated they usually use a mixture of meds.  They seam to use antihistamines and intidepressant with clonidine which i think helps regulate your heart rate.  For anyone really fearing withdrawl I would definately recomend some kind of inpatient facility.  I have found that having the emotional support of others going through the same thing as well as professional counsiling can be very helpfull.  I struggled many times trying to kick on my own and found it near impossible.  Physically and emotionally it can be very difficult.  I like to try to remember and really think about how many things your body suddenly has to adjust to.  It is rough but getting those "voices" (I say voices I mean impulses and wants not like I hear actual voices.  I am crazy but not quite that crazy>>....yet anyway) out or your head is worth it.  To be ok with yourself again-----priceless.
    • Posted

I appreciate your reply, I've only just read it as there is so many conversations going on in this thread that are not directed to my situation.. Oh dear well the doctor from the local drug team has given me methadone today for my codeine addiction.

I had a choice from that to subutex but he said the high amount I am taking I will have severe side effects if I Consider something else.

I understand what you're saying but again you were taking meth at a high level along with another substances so can you give an accurate account?

I've tried to "rip the band aid off fast" but unfortunately it just doesn't work that way

• Posted

I don't think I was clear I'm sorry.  I made it sound like methadone would be the worst choice you could make, I'm sorry about that.  And my situation was unique so definitely not universally true.  I think what your doing is great.  I know people who have succeeded with similar treatment.  I tend to be an all or nothing person (one of my character flaws)  so getting as far away from the drug as fast as possible is what works for me.  It sounds like you are getting good care and advice from the Dr and that's awesome.  You are on top of this I'd put money on you succeeding.  I hope the best for you and admire and respect what you are doing.
  • Posted

Hi everyone I've now been increased to 40mg methadone and I'm feeling really good. Still using codeine but they have said by next week I will feel less needy when ive increased to maximum dose. I feel tired in the evening but apart from that I've felt really good

The doctor at the drugs centre has asked whether I have GAD generalised anxiety disorder?? I had never heard of it before. But I'm just taking one hour by hour as it goes x

• Posted

Keep up the good work, stick with the plan :-) .... I found it really helpful when my dependency became someone else's responsibility!
  • Posted

well done - great job - just stick with the program and you will be amazed how good it will get -best of luck
  • Posted

Thanks to this forum and the replies I did what I never thought possible, I rang my local drugs centre and met an amazing doctor a who explained the difference between methadone and subutex in the initial detox and so 10 days ago I went from 30 x 30mg codeine a day to lowering it day by day and yesterday I had NONE! NO CODEINE!! I still cant believe it. The side effects are feeling really sleepy after taking it and an itchy face but nothing I can't cope with.

I'm on my way to a better life. I hope so, anyway x

• Posted

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. That's a huge leap forward in no time and I'm so pleased you found three right people to help.

I'm now on week 4 (or is it 5?) of no Morphine. I just get a little better every day, last night was my first proper natural 9 hours sleep - wow, that feels good!

Keep looking after yourself and it will all seem like a distant hideous memory soon.

• Posted

well done - you should be very proud of yourself -
  • Posted

Hey, as a person that works for the NHS I know how you feel! I would suggest taper your dose! If you have someone you really trust give them your pills and ask them to give you so many a day!
  • Posted

Hi Hopefirst

Just wanted to say howdy and see how you are doing?

I hope your doing great

• Posted

Hi there i was takin cocodamol for 3 year, up to 30 tablets a day as long as it was 30mg of codeine init i took it. I have a problem with my pancreas so thats why it started. Bt im

16 days off it the way i done it was ifnur on 10 a day take 5 for 2 days en 3 for a dau then 2 for 2 days then 1 then none the next day and then keep a diary either get diazepam off doctor or buy them off the street ifnu reeli want off codeine. It was pretty easy considering the amount i was taking daily. Still have a sore body n stuff bt it wasnt even half as bad as i thought i craved it a couple times bt just went and done soemthing to get my mind off it. And im currently doing fine other than the pains its more the fear you get its all in the mind aswell 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.