Sertaline for anxiety, having hard time need support!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Dear all,

After I have spent last 2 weeks reading this forum, today I have decided to sign in and ask for support and help. I am in my 3rd week on Sertraline and I simply don't feel great. First week on 25mg was horrific, I had every single side effect possible. Then last two weeks on 50mg. First week was ok. I could function and do little things. However, last days I simply feel bad. My anxiety is again all over the place forcing me to live inside my house. Thank god for my wonderful husband who takes care of everything without single complain. I am slowly loosing hopes to be back to an "old me". If someone told me a year ago I will be suffering from anxiety and taking medicines for it , I would not believe them. But after my worse anxiety attack ended up in the hospital, I know you can not take your mental health for granted. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a great day.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you talked to your doctor? Sertraline sometimes just doesnt work for people. Your doctor could try you on a different type of anti depressant. I was only able to stick it for a few days before my doctor advised stopping it because the side effects were just so extreme & I like you had every side effect imaginable.

• Posted

I have been on sertraline for 6 weeks and it has been a rough journey with ups and downs. At first, it was pretty rough, I had every single side effect in the books, but I kept going and 3 weeks ago I increased from 25 mg to 50 mg. The first few days on the increased dose were pretty rough again (high anxiety, intrusive thoughts, low appetite, lost few lbs), but afterwards I started feeling better. Not 100% myself but better. Due to some stress in my professional life, I started having sleepless nights that elevated my anxiety, so I took melatonin few nights in a row, it improved my sleep but my anxiety is a little higher that I'd like it to be, so my doctor advised me to go up to 100 mg (especially because this is the therapeutic dose for OCD). I am a little anxious about increasing the dose due to the potential side effects but also willing to if that would give me some relief. I had been on sertraline before, on the 50 mg dose, and although my anxiety and intrusive thoughts got better at the time, it had never gotten rid of them. So I guess I am willing to go the extra mile now (increase to 100 mg). I have also found some stress (l-theanine&gaba) and energy (B12&Coenzyme Q10) supplements that I started yesterday, so my hope I'll go back to where I was few months ago, when I felt much better. Let me know if I could support you in any way.

• Posted

Hi I know exactly how you feel I've was started on 50mg 9 days ago and it has wiped me off my feet I physically can't do anything I've got chronic indigestion nausea everyday all day no appetite so can't eat I'm just so down. I to have a great partner whose doing everything to help me but it doesn't stop you feeling helpless. I can't believe I'm on these but like you say when you need help you have to try. please keep in touch with how you are getting on like you say looks a long road ahead πŸ™„

• Posted

Thank you all,

Today I woke up with a horrible headache. I really don't want to pity myself but this is hard. I am thinking of my life just few months ago and still can not accept where am I now. I am happy and grateful for all the help I get from my family but can not stop worrying. The other day I was thinking that I miss traveling but then the idea of flying is just too much for now. One day at the time. I am seeing my doctor this week, lets see what she will say. Probably that I need to be patient and everything is as expected. How is everyone else doing today?

• Edited

Magdalena,

I also woke up with a headache, more like a sinus headache, and took 2 ibuprofen and drank a coffee afterwards. Feeling better now. i went for a 4.5 miles run and could say my day is going ok so far but its only morning where I live. i have had some intrusive thoughts but i chose to ignore them, which works for now.

Two days ago I started taking some supplements and seem to have boosted my energy levels. Nit sure it's working or it is more of a placebo effect.

I really hate wasting time obsessing over different thoughts or images that pop up in my mind and, just like you, miss my life from few months ago. I guess that's why I have been willing to keep going with the sertraline regardless of the side effects. It'd be nice to stay in touch and check on each other often, I guess i it'll make our lives easier 😊

• Posted

I was wondering. Do you all manage to work? I have very demanding job but at the moment decided to take 6 weeks leave. Lucky I can do it. However I am worried how will I go back to my normal professional life if I do not improve?

• Posted

Work keeps my mind busy and basically anything that keeps me focused on something helps me staying grounded. Exercising also helps with my anxiety. And talking to other people going through similar experience makes me feel better as iI reckon I am not the only one going through this and get ideas on how to overcome it.

• Posted

Today I slept the whole day. Took my pill at 7am managed a small walk and went back to bed. Slept for 3h and still tired.

• Posted

hi

can anyone tell me if they suffer with indigestion as I've been on 50mg sertraline for 12 days now still having awful side effects I can't barely eat when will this end😣

• Posted

Hello christine08220, that is me. I basically can only eat on evenings. Lost interest in food completely.

• Posted

Hi magdelena how long have you been on the sertraline for and what do you do for the indigestion as I'm struggling quite alot. My appetite is zero I force myself to eat as need food but can barely eat at all. I just hope this side effect goes soon as it's terrible

• Posted

Hi christine. Tomorrow I will finish my 3rd week on the sertraline, 50mg. I remember the first days, just after my worse anxiety attack and hospitalization, I haven't eaten for 2 days. On the 3rd day I was eating some watermelon. After that it got tinny better. I am not hungry during the day, at all, and can only eat on evenings (still very small portions). What I do is to drink a lot. I found some drinking yogurts which I can tolerate and some smoothies. It's still "forced" and not a lot but better than nothing. I have a doctor visit on Wednesday, lets see what she says. Hugs to you.

• Posted

Hi magdalena

you are having same symptoms I have but surely this has to get easier. I mean I have the most awful indigestion which puts me off even trying to eat. I drink quite alot of water cordial but nothing seems to work. I actually feel Hungary but just have no appetite. Please let me know how you get on with your doctor and I'm sending you a big hug back. like you I have a great hubby whose is brilliant I'm just gutted I've had to take time off work but my health has to come first take care x

• Posted

An update. My doctor thinks I am doing fine, as expected. She suggested to increase my dose to 75mg in one week time. I will do it. Feeling very tired and unmotivated. It all just takes awfully long time. Big hugs to everyone.

• Posted

I am also supposed to increase my dose to 100 mg, but I will go up to 75 mg for the first few days, and then to 100. I am a little anxious about the potential side effects, and just like you, I feel kind of tired of going through this but I'll do it if it helps me feel better. I am definitely better than how I was when I started 8 weeks ago, but not the way I was before all this started. Keep us posted and lost of hugs.

• Posted

Hi Both, just been reading your post and wondered how you are getting on after increasing your medication?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.