sertaline heart attack

Posted , 4 users are following.

Side effect is a heart attack cos of this im scared to take..advice pls i dnt want have panic attacks all time

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Donna, please don't be scared to take them, u will not have a heart attack on them but your heart rate might increase due to heightened anxiety. Did your doc prescribe any beta blockers as I take propranolol with my sertraline which calms the heart rate down, maybe worth asking your doc about them if u have a fast heart rate. I have now been on sertraline 50mg for 20 days and I am def feeling a positive difference but I still get anxious now and then but all other side effects have gone, I'm still taking propranolol as it's still early days, I take mine just before bed so I slept through most of the effects, I have 5 yr old son and was so worried about taking these meds that it took me 3 wks to pluck the courage up but I'm do glad I did as I was soooo bad with anxiety, intrusive thoughts and depression, good luck whatever u decide, stay strong and take each day at a time and think positive.
    • Posted

Hi ty gettin in touch.i had been given betablockers but read them side effects and they too said heart attack or death if u stop...im fed up its like im just sittin here waiting for a panic attack i wud take sertaline but cant get tge heart attack side effect out my head! Xx
  • Posted

Me again haha, I also took rescue remedy on my bad days with sertraline and propranolol and it really helped get me through. Before starting sert I had tried all the herbal stuff ie, kalms, 5htp etc but they didn't work for me which I was gutted about as wanted to try herbal , but they have worked for a lot of other people x
  • Posted

I was just like u and was soooooooooo scared to take propranolol at first but I could not cope with the way I was feeling so I bit the bullet and took it, I'm on 40mg 3x a day which is quite high and was on it for 6 weeks but the anxiety was still there in my head so I started the sertraline aswell as the propranolol and I'm still taking both now. The propranolol really does help the physical part of anxiety and the sertraline is really helping with the mind side, I am on day 20 of sertraline and 10 weeks of the propranolol. Please do not be scared to take them, they will help very much!! Have u got anxiety and depression? 
    • Posted

I got no depression just have panic attacks or get panicky when im out or about for no reason and feel like want run out shops it so stupid bit my body goin weird i got hot all over dry mouth..im scared take also as had citapram and day 2 had alergic reaction
  • Posted

That's exactly what I got like, with the going hot all over and wanting to run and get out of wherever I was, it's so horrible having anxiety and panic. I stayed in my house for 2 months and just literally sat on the sofa shaking, no appetite, hot, all these nervous thoughts going around in my brain, if I heard a noise I would get so panicky, I didn't want to be around anyone with how I was feeling even my partner and son, I didn't know what the hell was happening to me, I thought I was loosing my mind, but since the last week or so I have felt abit normal from the sertraline. I found knitting really helped me, I'm 34 and knit every night now as it really takes my mind off things, maybe u could get a hobby like crafts or something. Do u work and have u got kids? Also gave u taken the sertraline yet? X
    • Posted

I take propanalol since 7 weeks and I find they work for palps. The doc gave me Fluoxetine but I've not taken them as there are so many side effects like the low moods got a couple of weeks before the high
  • Posted

Also the propranolol r for your your heart  and high blood pressure so they will not cause a heart attack, they r very safe and most often used for nerves with public speaking and performance on stage. My doc said most celebs use them aswell, I have found them very helpful for my panic and andrenalin.
    • Posted

Hi hun no dnt work i have a 7 week old baby ..ive had loads of cbt but doe help bit not lot though.havent taken yet im in two minds i keep thinling wat if im the rare one to have a heart attack i dnt want leave my son...im 32 not much in age between us then..yes was gonna knit as i use to years ago n make outfits for trolls loool sad eh but i dint bloody even no wat a panic attack was then
  • Posted

Hey Donna, congrats on the birth of your baby, I would just like to add to ease your mind abit that u can actually take sertraline through pregnancy and breast feeding, that's what swayed my decision to take them as they r safe. I am so paranoid about taking anything and only in the last few yrs have actually taken paracetamol as I know it's safe to take while pregnant haha. If u decide to take them then I suggest to take them just as your getting in bed so u sleep through the harsh side effects, u might feel abit tired in the day but I suppose u r anyway with a newborn. What dose did doc give u as I was gonna cut my 50mg in half to lesson the side effects but then I thought that would only prolong the side effects when I raise it to the dose I was prescribed, but I have seen on forums some people have halved theirs and they r still on the half dose and it's working for them. Please be strong and make the step to take them as u were just like me when I got given them, it took me 3 weeks to pluck the courage up and I really am glad I did and the propranolol and rescue remedy got me through it. Read up on the reviews of sertraline, just type in sertraline reviews and it will give u a list of what u were prescribed it for ie, anxiety, depression, gad, bipolar, panic disorder etc and read the reviews of what people have said. It really helped me so I'm sure it will u. Take care and keep in touch to let me know how your doing. Big hugs to u smile x
    • Posted

Everytime talk u it startin make me want take i think tmrw i may .dr told me take 25mg first week n second week 50mg n stay on that dose x if i take night will i feel benefits of the tablet hun...
  • Posted

Hey Donna yes u will still see the benefits if taken at night, just that u will sleep through the harsh side effects, but it can cause sleep disturbances, but I have had no problem with my sleep. Let me know how u get on and if u take the plunge tonight, I'm here to talk whenever u want x
  • Posted

Hey Donna, me again, I would go straight on the 50mg as if u do take the 25mg for a week then start taking the 50mg u might get another bout of start up side effects, but everyone is different so it might be beneficial to u to ease in slowly, if u do start the 25mg I would stay on them for at least 10-14 days then up the dose as u might find that 25mg is all u need as everyone Is different. I was going to start at 25mg and ease in slowly but I didn't want to prolong the side effects, I wanted them over and done with and fortunately they were over in 7-10 days, keep me posted how u r doing Hun and your lil one is doing good and u to x
    • Posted

Ye im thinking just do 25mg n if im ok stay wid it.think tmrw b day i start.i been ok today thats thing sum days im fine others not lifes a b#### lol
  • Posted

Glad to hear your feeling ok today, that's the thing with anxiety, u have to take everyday as it comes. R u gonna start in the morn or eve as whatever u decide u have to stick to the same times. Whatever u choose good luck, this is the start of your recovery to being u again, if u need me for a chat or advice or reassurance then message me Hun x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.