Sertaline Positive stories please x

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I've been on this forum for about a month now and it's really helped me and spoke to some lovely people. I just needed some help and advise from someone who's been there and had success with sertaline to give me abit of hope and to share their stories.

I've never done this before.

Abit about me... I have used sertaline a few years ago for anxiety and panic attacks and at the time I didn't think it would work it actually did. I felt great and so much better, I then came off them cold turkey (not recommended) and I was fine no side effects and was happy. Although I don't remember getting that much side effects to start with but I may have blocked that out! Anyway I went through abit of a 'wobble' August time when a guy give me attention (I'm married) and it made me smile, nothing happened! But I then questioned myself, am I happy? Am I a bad person for liking someone else? These thoughts were going on and on through my head and it triggered my anxiety back. I spoke to my husband and told him I felt in abit of a rut and he was ok, supportive. I tried to cope with it and get through the days. I would wake every morning anxious, I started losing weight, palpitations etc I researched supplements I could take, which I did, magnesium, vitamin d but nothing really worked so the doctor told me I needed to go on sertaline again. I was so scared to take it this time tho and I put it off for ages but depression started to sneak its way in. My husband said he would support me and help me with the children (have 2) if I experienced any side effects so on Boxing Day I took my first tablet but only 25mg I split it in half as I was scared to take the 50mg, I took that for 6days then upped to 50mg. I got some not so nice side effects, heightened anxiety being the worse and to top it all off my husband left me on New Year's Eve. He told me that he started to question if he was happy and he wasn't, he felt miserable and that my illness wasn't helping so he went. (He works away) so I sat there crying and alone. I was off work for 2weeks luckily so me and the kids just chilled out and I tried to muddle through it. Weve texted a few times but we decided to have a trial separation but he's been quite cold too so I don't think we will end up back together. I went back to the doctor and after 19days on 50mg she wanted me to up it to 100mg again I was scared so I split tablet and took the 75mg for 6days then upped it to a 100mg 6days ago. When I was on the 75mg I felt ok had a couple of ok days but since upping to 100mg I feel down and still have anxious thoughts. I'm very tired too. Is this normal?? My husband is coming back this weekend to see the children, haven't seen him since he left so that's making me feel anxious too so don't know if it's a combination of both? I just wanted to know if the meds will help me and when they will start to kick in on the 100mg? Is it another few weeks after upping dose that you will feel the benefit?

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to get a picture of my story and what I'm going through. Thank you to any replies in advance xxx

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I went through a similar thing and to be honest sertraline helped me the first time and the 2nd but as soon as I came off it both times I suffered really bad side effects. But only cause I did it cold turkey. Its a really hard drug to come off cold turkey as t works so well when You are on it. I was on 50mg and that worked fine but I'm only 24. They say if you are tired on it you are overdosing so I'd speak to your doctor again as 100 may be too much for you. Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi Nicole, thanks for replying. I'm glad it's worked for you and you have had success on them. Can you remember how long it took to start taking effect? I'm not sure if it's not helping yet as I'm dealing with my relationship breakdown too. I see my doctor a week tomorrow so I will ask her about the dose, thanks for letting me know xxx

• Posted

It took me about a month to feel an effect. But obviously your break up wont help your mood but you should see a difference in your mood compared to how you felt before you started taking them. Yeah speak to your dr as you are probably on a too high dose which may not be working for you xx
    • Posted

Yeah it's definitely having an impact on me getting better. I did have a couple of ok days around week 2/3. Just feel tired and sad and abit anxious too. Will speak to my doctor next week. Thanks for your help xxx

• Posted

My dr prescribed me propanalol aswell for my anxiety 40mg I hardly use them but as I'm now cold turkey with sertraline Ive had to take the propanalol to be able to leave the house x x

• Posted

My dr give me then too but only took 2 that was at the beginning. How long have you been off them for? How come you come off them? Xxx
    • Posted

Only been off them three weeks and I am suffering such bad withdrawal from them. I came off them as I felt better and I wanted to get off them before I got too reliant on them. I didn't wanna go back on them as I had bad withdrawal from them before bu I had to go back on them to get stable again. It sucks. Propanalol does help the anxiety a lot though x x

• Posted

Oh no you poor thing, side effects are the worse. Hopefully once they subside you'll be ok again. How long did the side effects take to go last time you came off them? Xx

• Posted

Only a few weeks, hence why im surprised at how rough i feel this time around. Its got to the point where the brain zaps have made me so dizzy that ive been throwing up every time ive been outside for more than half hour as walking around makes me really dizzy x
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I feel for you. Several things. I really appreciate your honesty. Unlike you I actually cheated on my boyfriend who was like my husband at the time (second year in college); in his mind, he considered himself my husband at the time since he didn’t believe in marriage. And this was after I went thru my first major attack with him. Yeah, I wasn’t always God’s Servant, you see. It’s taken me decades to publicly confess this. So I commend you for being faithful and honest to your husband. In any event, we later got married but he never got over my infidelity and we got divorced after about 15 years together and at least 5-6 attacks. I am 43 yrs now, so these events all happened ages ago, including my divorce in 2009. But enough about me. The point is, it’s okay to have crushes and I feel you and I know how hard it is and I admire how you were able to tell your husband and controlled yourself. I was young and stupid and my infidelity happened in 1997 and I think I’m still working on forgiving myself. BTW, it wasn’t the Zoloft or sertraline that caused my infidelity – it was my poor judgement.

My second point is, YES! This illness makes relationships, ALL relationships, more difficult. But with work and open honesty I believe you can still have deep meaningful relationships. It was ultimately me who gave up on my first marriage because I couldn’t deal with the guilt and wanted to set him free (I was his first gf and we were both virgins when we met and he would never cheat on me, even with my permission – yeah, I was so messed up; as if his cheating on me could make up for my infidelity first). I have been married to my second husband for 1.5 years now and he recently went thru with me my first attack and we are still together although for a while he suggested separation because he couldn’t deal with it. My attack freaked him out and reminded him of his one and only depressive episode after his mom passed away about a decade ago.

Sorry to hear about your husband leaving you on NY’s eve. Sure it wasn’t an opportune time, but I think he’s just angry about your honesty in telling him about your crush and needs some time. We humans are interesting – we always want honesty but sometimes can’t handle the honesty revealed to us. So, on one hand, I don’t want to give you false hope because I don’t know your husband and the relationship you have, but I hope once you are well again and return to yourself, he too will return to his self. And then it’ll be your turn to forgive him for what he did on NYE.

So once I started recovering my husband no longer wants separation. I even offered to free him from me and illness but he doesn’t want to. We are also both Christians and marriage is sacred to me now. What else, yeah, give it 2-3 more weeks with the med and you WILL be better.  I am most confident because this has worked on your before. Same with me. Finally, IF your husband does NOT want to get back with you, ultimately, there is nothing you can do. In that case, I believe someone will come along that is right for you. I know the end of ANY relationship is hard, but I believe you are strong. When God closes a window, he opens a door. No matter what, take care of yourself first and your kids.

Xx

• Posted

Thank you very much for sharing your story with me. Such kind words too, it really means a lot and I appreciate it. It's such a awful illness and when someone hasn't been through it before they have no idea what we are going through. It's so difficult to explain. I'm glad you have support from your husband that probably helps a lot. I need to be more positive and get better for me and my children I know that and I will. Thanks again xxx

• Posted

Get better for yourself first, before your kids or your husband. Because if you are not well, you will not be able to take care of yourself, let alone anyone else. It's taken me decades to get to this understanding because I tend to put the needs of my loved ones above my own needs. But I am learning now. If I am not well, I will be a burden on someone else and I don't want to be. 

Big hugs. I know it's a very difficult time but stay strong and the med will kick in. You've pulled thru this once before and you will again. This is me working now when I was consumed 24/7 and wanted a God to take me home in my sleep because I couldn't hang myself from hotel curtains a little over a month or so ago. My attack began Nov, got back on 100mg of Zoloft on Nov 19, and   I started feeling back to the land of living sometime in Jan 2017. So hang in there. We are here so you can write to us anytime. My Bible and writing in my journal was what kept me alive at my worst. And baths and sleep, whenever I could. 

• Posted

What dosage were you on the first time? I was on it years ago at 100 (ramped up slowly from 25) and it worked great. This time, I need to go to 175 to feel any relief. One thing to realize is that you're going through a very traumatic personal experience and you shouldn't expect to feel OK. However, there is a difference between feeling sad and wanting to sleep and not go outside and feeling that physical reaction in your chest that makes it hard to breathe. 

That beind said, the theraputic dosage for Sertraline is 100-200, so you're just on the lower level at 100 and may need to go up. Increased anxiety and/or depression is a know side effect but shouldn't last more than a few days at a proper dosage. 

• Posted

Hi MJAlps, I was on 100mg last time which was a few years ago now. I know it takes time to get into system though. I've just been feeling more anxious and having negative thoughts since upping the dose to 100mg 9days ago where as I had some ok days on 75mg and was only on that 6days. Is it helping you again? Did it take longer to get into your system? I see my doctor again on Wednesday xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.