Sertraline 10 weeks still depressed

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on Sertraline for 9 weeks and 4 days exactly for awful postnatal anxiety and depression. 25mg for 10days, 50mg for about 3 weeks and then 100mg for almost 5 weeks now. The first 8 weeks have been awful (worst time of my existence) although my anxiety and depression were horrific too so I’ve had no choice but to remain on Sertraline in hope. In the past few days I haven’t felt as awful although I wouldn’t say I’m great or back to normal. It’s just so frustrating as I really thought that it would work in 6-8 weeks as commonly claimed but 10 weeks in, I feel like I’m still hanging on and losing hope if I’m honest. 

I guess I’m looking for some type of reassurance/ positive story that it’s possible for the medication to still work even after all this time? 

I have had probably 2 days in the whole period where I have felt somewhat back to myself but then I find that shortly after the experience, I am back to feeling the worst depression ever. 

This is my first time on an antidepressant and I am so scared I will never recover and feel what I know I should for my daughter. I feel like the depression is suppressing all my emotions. I am terrified of dying all of a sudden. There is an air of doom and gloom in the air with no rational explanation.

Sorry for rambling, if anyone has had a similar experience but come out the other side 100% recovered, please share your story or any advice. Thanks 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya Victoria,you should go back to your gp, you might not have reached the correct dosage for you yet so may need it increasing or changing , dont just keep waiting for it to work, go back to your gp x
    • Posted

So frightened of an increase due to the side effects I experienced going to 100mg but if the doctor thinks that’s what I need then I’ll just have to do it. Thanks for the response Trina 
  • Posted

Call the dr something doesn’t sound right I feel that you should feel a difference but I did read the other day that it could take from weeks to months to kick in but you have been on it for 10 weeks I spoke with someone else on the same meds and they didn’t feel any better either please call a professional 
    • Posted

Thanks Carmela I will have to do that. It’s so frustrating waiting for so long and not seeing massive improvements 
  • Posted

Hi Victoria. I think that at this point I would ask for a referral to a Psychiatrist that is their specialty. Fight until you get better you deserve to feel better and to enjoy your new baby. Diane
    • Posted

I have been fighting for over 6 months now. I didn’t know what it was so didn’t seek help until about 3.5 months later. To be honest i feel like I’m losing the will to fight. It’s so dreadful but I know I have to keep going for my daughter 
  • Posted

Is this postpartum? Sometime we may need to take another med along with the antidepressant. You have gone a long way with this med.

You may want to seek a professional for advice.

They would know what to do. Also research this drug and see what the side effects are and how long it should take to kick in.

Lots of luck

• Posted

Yes it’s postpartum. I will see the GP tomorrow to discuss a way forward. Thanks 
  • Posted

Victoria have you talked to your doctor?  Starting antidepressants can take time to work.  Sometimes it takes trying different ones to find the one that helps.   Believe me I am what most doctors refer to as treatment resistant but I did find combos that helped. Talk to your doctor tell him/her your concerns just like you did here.  I'm in the states and recently did an EEC which my doctor had analyzed to detect which meds had the best chance of helping based on the results.  It categorizes all symptoms to all categorizes of meds.  I changed a couple of meds and it is working better for me.  Again though each time you start a new med it takes time for it to begin working.  Good luck and don't lose hope.

• Posted

Thank you for the response D, spoke to the doctor today and he has decided to increase the dosage to 150mg. He says to give it 2-4 weeks and then we will review. Hopefully this helps as I don’t want to have to start again with a different medication. 
    • Posted

Excellent! Please keep coming back here until the meds kick in. We will support you!
    • Posted

Thanks Carmela. It’s day 2 on 150mg and I started feeling CONSIDERABLY BETTER yesterday. It seems like the right dosage is essential to get any relief from these meds. I am not healed yet but if this improvement continues, it shouldn’t be long at all at this rate 
    • Posted

That is wonderful news and you are very welcome. I hope that you will still keep coming back.
  • Edited

I wanted to update this as I know I found it useful seeing other peoples experiences. I have now been taking sertraline for 17 weeks, 7 weeks on 150mg. This medication is pretty amazing. The only thing I dont like about it is how long you might need to wait before you get relief. Everyone is different but it literally took me about 15/16 weeks to feel much much better. At the moment, I am almost back to my normal self - thinking the way I used to, grateful for life. I am so much more engaged with my environment - I never used to want to go anywhere as I was so anxious and depressed, I was unable to enjoy any outing so didn’t see the point. I constantly asked myself what’s the point of X Y Z. When you are depressed, you find yourself really questioning he point of everything- it’s awful. And with the way this medication is working I know it’s only going to get better. I actually feel like a much better version of my previous self. I now realise that I always carried a low level of anxiety before that I just didn’t realise. It just exploded after I had my baby into this severe depressive episode. If you are just starting out wondering if this medication will work, all I can say is that you need patience. Everyone says it but it’s so true. It may work quickly but I think for majority of people, it’s extreeeeemmeeeely slow. But when it works, the relief is incredible. It’s like night and day (slowly develops but every day gets better and better). I just wanted to add that I do still have blips. I’d have the odd day where my depressive thoughts come back but usually don’t last longer than a day and then back to normal. My understanding is that these bad days get fewer and fewer until full recovery is achieved. PLEASE DONT GIVE UP - HANG IN THERE. YOU WILL FEEL WELL AND AWESOME AGAIN. ITS HARD TO BELIEVE IT WHEN YOU ARE IN DEPRESSION’S GRIP BUT IT WILL HAPPEN 
    • Posted

Great reading this and I hope you have carried on with the great results? I am on currently on week 10 of 50mg but I've had 3 brand changes that I feel have set me back and I still feel very anxious? I do have days when I feel slightly better so reading your story has given me hope.

• Posted

hi Run19

i was interested in your comment about "brand changes" that youve had to your Sertraline rather than dose change from 50mg. i too have had about 4 different brands of sertraline issued to me by my pharmacy over recent years and am wondering if this has contributed to my sudden anxiety spell which turned to depression since January this year. It's difficult to know if this is relevant to mention to gp. ?

• Posted

My GP didn't question me and just gave me Lustral and said he will prescribe this from now on. I feel I have levelled off a bit so going to give it another 2 weeks and see how I am doing.

• Edited

this is exactly what i needed to read today, someone who stuck with it through one of the longest times till they felt better and have shown me today( one if my worst days) that it does get better, i know that no one will probably see this message as this was 5 years ago and its now 2023 so in going to leave this message for someone who might see it in 2028.

at this point in my life im 23 years old, day 15 on sertraline and have been really struggling for the past year with anxiety i moved bsck in with my parents and quit my job because i couldnt do it anymore. i dont have alot of support my parents dont seem to understand and my girlfriend is the only thing that keeps me pushing forward. if someone reads this then no that i have seen the worst of things and im pushing forward everyday to make myself back to who i am so i experience life and everything it has to offer, it's difficult roght now but i promise myself everyday that when i see the light at the end of the tunnel i WILL make the most if it.

everyone stay strong, stay safe and enjoy those brief moments of freedom from anxiety and depression, they are what will get you through, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.