Sertraline 10 weeks still depressed

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on Sertraline for 9 weeks and 4 days exactly for awful postnatal anxiety and depression. 25mg for 10days, 50mg for about 3 weeks and then 100mg for almost 5 weeks now. The first 8 weeks have been awful (worst time of my existence) although my anxiety and depression were horrific too so I’ve had no choice but to remain on Sertraline in hope. In the past few days I haven’t felt as awful although I wouldn’t say I’m great or back to normal. It’s just so frustrating as I really thought that it would work in 6-8 weeks as commonly claimed but 10 weeks in, I feel like I’m still hanging on and losing hope if I’m honest. 

I guess I’m looking for some type of reassurance/ positive story that it’s possible for the medication to still work even after all this time? 

I have had probably 2 days in the whole period where I have felt somewhat back to myself but then I find that shortly after the experience, I am back to feeling the worst depression ever. 

This is my first time on an antidepressant and I am so scared I will never recover and feel what I know I should for my daughter. I feel like the depression is suppressing all my emotions. I am terrified of dying all of a sudden. There is an air of doom and gloom in the air with no rational explanation.

Sorry for rambling, if anyone has had a similar experience but come out the other side 100% recovered, please share your story or any advice. Thanks 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi victoria, these so called 'experts' think that chucking tablets at depression will be the greatest thing, they seem to think lovely sertraline is the new miracle drug that will 'cure' depressive feelings. has anyone ever matched actual counselling on top of anti-depressants to help with depression? these on their own won't help! i would ask about practical help not just pills, i don't accept any off my doctor's without an explanation as to exactly what they'll do. i hope you get some straight answers once they give you antidepressants of course, in my experience they'll just keep swapping them over to something else....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.