Sertraline 50mg. nausea,weakness side effects

Posted , 31 users are following.

My doctor prescribed me Sertraline 50mg tablets on Friday. Since then I have been feeling really drained, weak and finding it hard to focus and sick and nauseous at times. 

He did say the first week would be tough but just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and any tips on how to battle these symptoms? 

Many thanks

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So yesterday I had my eye examination and everything is good and healthy. The floaters are still there but apparently they can last for months and in some cases never go away. But the optician said it's common and nothing to worry about so I am happy after a month of worrying. I know anxiety causes these problems too so if you are worried just go and get your eyes tested. 

• Posted

Hi I have just been given a low dose of sertraline and i’m having similar effects and symptoms I’ve only been on them two days but the doctor stated that it’s normal because your body needs time to adjust to the medication I’m also on sodium tablets for my asthma as that is really bad and states that the two mixed together can also cause a few effects where I feel constantly tired it’s nothing to worry about but if your unsure search it up as it will tell you what to look out for 
  • Posted

I’ve been on Setraline 100mg now for about 6 week (was on 50mg for about a month before that ). Immediately I felt a reduction in my appetite, dry mouth and always thirsty. The side effect for me have got a lot worse in the last 2 weeks.  I get very bad night sweats have to change the bedding every day.

I get nauseous and throw up occasionally, that seems to be reducing.

I feel very tired and drained all the time though I seem to be sleeping better.

The latest effects are aching neck and back and shoulders and a constant dull headache , this is the one that bothers me a lot as there is no comfortable position to sit or lay,  and I can’t take ibuprofen due to stomach issues.

I’m going to give it 1 more week too see if the side effects reduce if not I will get me off the drug.

I would be very Interested in hearing from anyone who has been on Setraline for longer than I have and how the side effects have been for them.

• Posted

Hi I have been on sertraline for about 6 months now 50mg at first it made me feel a bit sick but I did get the shakes with it, have had the odd stomach ache but nothing major, I suffer from anxiety brought on by my long working hours and nature of my job, but more lately for unknown reasons the panic seems to be setting in, so doctor has put me on 75mg I’m two days in no obvious side effects yet. Anxiety is a life changing condition which I can’t wait to see the back of its been a crap year.
  • Posted

I’ve been on Sertraline for almost 2 weeks now, first week I was on citalopram (coming off them to start sertraline) but now only on sertraline 50mg. 

I’ve really struggled more so starting these ones than when I started citalopram. I’ve not read anywhere that you guys feel a tight chest at all but that’s my experience, a constant pressure in my chest and my vision isn’t great. It was so bad I got dizzy etc and had to get sent home from work (I’m a pt so being on my feet and being physically active is difficult) and now off work until it subsides. 

Been feeling so disoriented and spaced out. 

Any advice you guys have I’d appreciate 

• Posted

Hi James,

I dont have any advice for you right now as I'm in it as well. Started 50 mg 8 days ago and I've been doing nothing else than feeling nausea, vomiting (especially in the morning) and having real difficulties in sleeping. 

I guess we just have to hang in there! 

• Posted

I just started Zoloft for depression and anxiety yesterday and I can barely eat today. I'm at my work desk and I can barely get through the medial tasks due to the nausea, dizziness, and exhaustion. I see that your post was a few years ago. How did you manage to get through that first starting period? My boyfriend takes Prozac, so his reaction is a bit different than mind and he's been on it for a long time.

• Posted

It took me a while with the nausea and lack of appetite , that went after about 2 weeks. Then I got the nights sweats for a few weeks , but by the time i has been taking it for 4-6 the side effects became more occasional. Now been taking it 5 month and other than the lack of appetite ( which is actually quite nice ) I seldom get any side effects. It has definitely reduced my anxiety not sure it any help with the depression 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.