Sertraline 50mg. nausea,weakness side effects

Posted , 31 users are following.

My doctor prescribed me Sertraline 50mg tablets on Friday. Since then I have been feeling really drained, weak and finding it hard to focus and sick and nauseous at times. 

He did say the first week would be tough but just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and any tips on how to battle these symptoms? 

Many thanks

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm 17 and started sertraline yesterday. I've already started to feel rough. My stomach is aching like mad, I feel nauseous, dizzy, sweaty and just completely out of it to be honest. I don't think I can cope with 4-6 weeks of this crap... ??

• Posted

I'm seeing the Dr today to try and come off several in. Been on it weeks and haven't felt any benefits only awful side effects

• Posted

I've just started on sertraline 3 days ago and feel really sick and dizzy hope it goes away have 2 kids to get up and to school x

• Posted

Hey Helen,

What dose have you started on? I started on 50mg and the first few days did feel pretty strange with a fuzzy head and some nausea but I found this slowly improved over a week or so. What time of day are you taking it? I take mine first thing on waking and then try to nap for 30 mins or so before getting up.

• Posted

Oh no I'm so sorry you feel so bad. I was on it for 3 weeks and spenthen a good portion of that time with my head down the loo or in a bucket. I don't know how you will cope as I'm a pensioner (67) with a husband to look after me. I couldn't even stand in the shower I was so weak so was having to have sort of sit down showers. I went back to the Dr which in itself was hard sitting in the waiting room feeling so I'll. He put me back on MirtazapineBay. I'm in the process of changing over now knocking down the dose loft see tramline and starting the new ones but am already eating like a horse! I'm still shake your and weak but think that'll improve after a few more days with food inside me after being empty for so long. I lost a stone in that time which was no bad thing as I was overweight but a drastic Diet! I had tried Mirtazapin weeks ago on 15mg but felt a bit panicky still so the Dr upped the dose to 30mg and that was awful. I got up to 100mg several in before I stopped but am so glad I did. Please shout if I can help you any more. My problem is panic attacks and anxiety.

• Posted

Sorry about all the mistakes, it seems impossible to check over what you've written on this site. Hope you can guess what I was meaning.

• Posted

Hi helen, im on my 3rd day or serlan and feeling awful. Ive nausea, dizziness, Im disoriented and finding it very hard to focus. My anxiety is also so high which is why im on these in the first place. Im on 50mg a day. how long can i expect to feel like this? any advice greatly appreciated??
    • Posted

I lasted three weeks before I had to stop, it was continuous nausea. I'm now on MirtazapineBay but I'm having to come off the see tramline over two weeks. I'm feeling so much better and what a treat to have an appetite again. I hope it works out better for you than me, I can truly say it was one of the worst periods of my life. I was getting so depressed.

• Posted

Yes it really is horrible. I know I havent given it much time and they had said the first week would be unpleasant but my head feels extremly hazy, my jaws are so tight and mouth dry. Appetite is also poor. Its so difficult to concentrate at work. Ive only ever taken zanax during periods of high anxiety and that works immediately for me so the fact that my anxiety will be initially worse with these is scary!
    • Posted

I think you're doing well, there's no way I could've gone to work on those pills. Don't suffer too long, I regret leaving it 3 weeks before I got sorted out. It's bad when the cure''s worse than the cause isn't it😂 Look after yourself.

• Posted

Hi! 

This is my 7th day on Sertraline 25mg a day and everything was normal until yesterday night. I felt nauseous and even had to vomit in the middle of the night, I had to call in sick today because I felt so sick I couldn't get out of bed. Has anyone else started having side effects after almost a week of taking the medication? 

I was supposed to increase my dosage today but my GP told me to continue on 25mg because of how sick I feel. 

• Posted

This is a real eye-opener.  Nobody tells you how sick the meds are going to make you.  I just had to lower my dose of sertraline from 100 to 75 mg because my hands were shaking, I was weak and aching, and I had chronic diarrhea.  Now consider that I am also taking a handful of other meds...if I knew how bad this was going to be I am not sure I would have started on medication for bipolar disorder.  This is the third day I've felt okay since I started on lithium, etc 10 years ago.

• Posted

I've been on sertraline 9 days I have increased anxiety, and feel terribly sick, I was very dizzy that's subsided but the sick feeling is relentless. I suffer health anxiety so this is like hell for me. Also read about floaters (black dots etc in eye) and now that's all I can see... eurgh!!! When will this lift?!

• Posted

So sorry you feel so awful. I had to give up on sertraline as I felt so sick all the time. However my 20 yo granddaughter is on it and hasn't had a problem so it must affect folk differently. I'm on Velaflaxine now and really enjoying life again. Don't suffer, give it a couple of weeks and if you're still being sick see your Dr again and he will change you to something else.

• Posted

I have been on Sertraline for 8 days now and I am suffering with the common symptoms of fatigue, loss of appetite, stomach pains, brain zaps, insomnia and nausea. I am constantly tired all the time because I keep waking up 3 times every night which is unusual for me because I love my sleep. I have also noticed a slight weight loss but that was generally needed. I have also had floaters in my eyes which can be triggered by anxiety but if you are concerned just go to an optician.

My advice to people is take it in the morning and not in the evening. You will probably have extreme insomnia otherwise. Also if you don't feel like eating just try and eat small portions. You cannot take this type of medication on no food because it will make you feel more ill. Drink plenty of water at least 2 litres. I also like to go for a quick walk because that can lift mood.

I hope you guys feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi jack how long did your increase take to work im on 150mg for 10days now and feeling better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.