Sertraline 50mg. nausea,weakness side effects

Posted , 31 users are following.

My doctor prescribed me Sertraline 50mg tablets on Friday. Since then I have been feeling really drained, weak and finding it hard to focus and sick and nauseous at times. 

He did say the first week would be tough but just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and any tips on how to battle these symptoms? 

Many thanks

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been on Sertraline for 10 days now and so far today haven't been sick but this is the first day I haven't.. I am very fortunate to have a husband to look after me otherwise I'm not sure how I would cope with this awful sickness I'm totally drained. I go to sleep early at night - 9ish but am wide awake by 3 stressing about how sick I will be in the morning. Feeling slightly better today but scared to get excited as I've been here before. How are you coping now?

• Posted

Hiya. I think you're in exactly the same position as me with the same side effects. I am feeling so drowsy and sick constantly with a painful stomach ache. Just feel ropey and blah all day. I am going to bed at 9 and waking up at 4am anxious about the day ahead. It's horrendous. Really hope this doesn't last long and we start to see some of the benefits of it soon.. sending you lots of positive thoughts and well wishes.

What dose are you taking and what time are you taking it? Do you see any positive improvements yet? x

• Posted

I take 50mg at bedtime and this is my 12th day. Exactly same problems as you. Maybe easier for me as I'm retired but if I was at work I would be in real trouble. I have to see Dr today so will be stuffed with anti emitics beforehand or I'll be throwing up in the waiting room - something else to panic about. If it works it's worth it but I'd like to be able to think of a time when this sickness has gone. I can't eat but can drink water and sometimes Tesla. Thought I had cystitis starting yesterday but some cranberry and rasp juice seems to have sorted t by at. I don't think tears the fault of the pills to be fair. I hope you start feeling human soon

• Posted

Sorry for mistakes. I drink tea not Tesla! Also to be fair I don't think it's the fault of the pills. Sorry, this site isn't easy to drive it jumps all over the place

• Posted

I am exactly the same. Let me know how you get on at the doctors. Hope he can help you. I've had to take time off work because I'm so anxious and zombie-fied. It's not fun at all. Just want to be human again sad feel like I'm walking around in a bubble at the moment.

• Posted

My husband is starting to lose patience with me a bit because he's never panicked in his life? and just cant understand why I'm worried about nothing. If I knew the answers I'd be a rich woman. I've no idea why I'm panicking - just for the joy of it perhaps!! Can't say I'm zombified but don't drive just in case I do something silly and get banned. Do you go out to work? It has helped having someone to speak to who understands. Usually this is a good time of year for me as i enjoy my greenhouse and gardening - on nice days! I will let you know what the doc says but he's a good so not an expert in every field. On the plus side I've lost a stone in weight which was badly needed.

• Posted

I am the same. I think I'm fearing the panic and it's become a vicious cycle. My other half has been through a similar thing but he didn't need medication to pull him out of the rut so don't think he fully understands what I'm going through. It's been a really hard few months. I hope the doctor is able to help you out today and reassure you that you'll be back in the greenhouse in no time!! I look forward to the day we can look back at this conversation and laugh. Fingers crossed you have some luck today and this is just a side effect that'll wear off.

• Posted

What a hard site this is to navigate. Anyway​ Dr has put the Sertraline up to 100 mg which I queried but he said

to double the anti emitics and have a blood test for thyroid in the morning. Watch this space!!

• Posted

I'm the same Hun been on sertaline 50mg for almost a month nw was ok at first but the sickness has kicked in nw can eat that much food in my mouth makes me worse but I do make myself I think my partner is have in enough of me that's I think anyway just wish the side effects would do one so can have a normal life x

• Posted

I have been very sicky on 50mg so Dr put me up to 100mg and anti emitics. I take them at night and sleep till about 3 then dose fitfully worrying and anxious. Dr now querying thyroid. It would be nice to know what's wrong. I'm very tired all the time and because I can't eat I'm very weak. Hope it improves soon, this is my third week.

• Posted

The Dr upped my dose to 100mg which frightening me a bit and he gave me more anti emitics. He also immediately sent me for a thyroid test the result of which won't be back till Wednesday. Still feel very sicky so not eating well so feeling weak too. I'll let you know my results

• Posted

I have had my thyroid out three to four year ago and the doctor said that I would feel better I did at first and cum off sertaline for about a year and nw I have had to go bk on them month dwn the line and feel real crap just wish these sides effects would just go away the doctor said got to give it time I did say if they need to up them but he said not yet
    • Posted

That's interesting because although my family is full of thyroid problems i regularly have blood tests and have always been ok. If they take me into hospital to have it out I'll be carrying a sick bucket I'll be in bits. What do they do take a lump out your neck? All very interesting in a terrifying way. If you have them out can they grow again?

• Posted

No they dnt cum bk and it's just a small cut the front of ur neck to take the lump out u we'll be on thyroid tablet for the rest of ur life which it's a bad thing it's didn't make any difference to me but people r different. I dnt knw if to carry in wiv my sertaline cuz it is knocking me about x

• Posted

I can't do anything until Wednesday when the Dr rings with results of blood test.I have the occasional good day and think yay I've cracked it then it's back to being sick

• Posted

Well I'm glad to report that it's not thyroid - at last something is going my way! However on Sunday was feeling so ill my husband took me to the out of hours Dr at the hospital. To cut a long story short when I was getting used to Sertraline I was starting with a kidney infection. I'd not mentioned the pain I'd had as I'd retched so much being sick I thought it was probably a pulled muscle. I have a bad kidney infection which probably wouldn't have been so bad had I listened to my body. After 3 days on antibiotics and I feel like a different person. I think I'm used to the Sertraline so just have to sort the rest. I ate yesterday and for the first time in weeks I wasn't sick. I'm not a pa

particularly religious girl but I thanked God for giving me such a good day. I have a way to go because with not eating more than the odd slice of toast for so long I

I'm incredibly weak. I can't stand up fur long. Feeling a bit better In just want to get on and do stuff but my Dr has warned me to slow down or I'll set myself back. I hope this improvement lasts because I could get to like it😀 I would like to think things are starting to look good for you too.. .Pam x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.