Sertraline 50mg to 75mg dose? Increase advice?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all feeling ok today. I posted on here last week about feeling some effect from the sertraline since starting it 6 weeks ago such as less 'emotional' outbursts (i.e crying for hours on end for no reason) but my anxiety is still there and bothering me. I went back to my doctors and she suggested upping to 75mg or even 100mg. I'm too scared to go to 100 but am considering 75. I had terrible side effects starting up, the worst being increased anxiety.

So my main issue/question is deciding between trying to survive how I am or trying to increase the dosage to 75 and hoping the side effects aren't as bad as the start up and I feel less anxious. Does anyone have any advice? Would it be possible to perhaps try 75mg for a couple of days and if my side effects come back to go back to 50 in two days time?

I'm torn between getting back to my old self and the fear of making myself worse again by increasing.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i recommened 100g i felt great once i started taken them i started on 50mg and hated it, hope this helps
    • Posted

Hi Sean,

Yeah I have seen a lot that 100mg seems to be a good dose for a lot of people. If there were minimal side effects then I would take this dose first thing tomorrow but I'm not sure I can go through it again the first two weeks were hell!

• Posted

Well this is a hard one since we all respond differently. All I can tell you is that it took a good couple of months before I felt the optimum benefit. I started on 50mg and stayed on that dose for 2.5 years before I slowly started to taper off. 

I had the start up side effects for a good few weeks IMO I would stay on 50 and give it time to  work, all the best x

• Posted

Hi Teyes,

I am taking Sertraline for almost 3 weeks due to my panic attacks... 

And it making me sooooo drowsy, that I literally pass out for 2-4 hours during the day. I can NOT keep my eyes open and I just pass out. I am on 25 mg. My Dr suggested to start with 25, so that my body gets used to it (as I am very sensetive to medicine and my body has extraordinary reaction). I am supposed to take 50 mg in the coming week. Does it make you also so drowsy? Is it gonna stay forever like this?

thanks for your answer and time.

• Posted

Hi just wanted to let you know I was exactly the same lying down and feeling awful this took six weeks to wear off they take at least six weeks to work if u can bear it jus stick with it
    • Posted

Hi Tezes,

I think I will do this. I would like to be able to take as little as possible and it has definitely done something although not enough for me to get back to my normal life again. Hopefully things will continue to improve in the next couple of weeks.

• Posted

Hi Liana,

I also experienced a lot of fatigue in the first few weeks where I would sleep a full night and also nap in the day. This should wear off within the next couple/few weeks. Also perhaps take your tablet in the evening if you aren't already so that you might not be as tired in the morning. I tend to find it actually wakes me up which is why I take it in the morning but everyone is different.

• Posted

IT may suit you better to take it before bedtime, sounds like you are very sensitive, discuss with your doctor. We are all different but it did not make me drowsy in fact I had trouble sleeping on it.

good luck

• Edited

Hi kate im in the same boat as u so not sure myself as to increase to 75 or not this is hell good luck please let me know what u decide
    • Posted

Hi Sharon,

It's a tough decision isn't it when you want to do what's best for yourself but don't know what that is! How long have you been  taking 50? I think I am going to wait until 9 weeks, so 2 1/2 more weeks at 50mg and if this then doesn't improve then I will increase to 75 or even 100 and just try and work through any side effects that I may face again.

Good luck

• Edited

I have been on 50mg foe four weeks, and just upped to 75 three days ago. I too was terrified of the side effects because the first two weeks were pure hell. My doctor said I shouldn't experience such strong effects since I waited a month to increase. Three days into the increase and I haven't had any worsening of symptoms. A little nauseous but no heightening anxiety or shakiness. I agree it's so scary to increase. I didn't want to go back to the hell that is was in the beginning. My doctor is advising me to increase very slowly with a good amount of time in between.

• Posted

Hi Annie,

Yes its a very difficult decision. Mine is made harder by the fact that im going away soon and dont want to be worse for that but also dont want to feel how i am now. But I do think as a general rule doctors do increase the dose too soon so I will keep at 50 for another 3 weeks then increase if I feel no better. Please let me know how you get on and if any new side effects arise in the next week or so. I really hope they dont and you feel better soon.

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Hope your well? Just signed up to this & read your comment..... the doctor gave me sertraline to help with my depression & anxiety also. I started on 50mg but cuz of everything going on at the mo I don't think it's helping. I went back to the doctors and she advised to take 100mg which I was frightened to do so I cut the 100mg in half and took it, but the anxiety effect I had taking that was awful and I didn't want to feel like that again so I went back to the doctors & she suggested to take 1 50mg and half of another so it was 75mg. I haven't started that yet as I'm also petrified that the bad attack I had on taking half the 100 will come back so I've stuck to 50 but I don't feel like 50 is enough I need to take that other 25mg but I don't want it to make me worse. I keep feeling so down, crying etc cuz of all the stuff that's going on in my life right now I need to be strong & I just feel like I'm falling apart. Most of the time I'm always asleep by 10 but always seem to wake up at 5 not feeling good mentally... it's making me go mad, forgot to take one last night so I might just push myself so that I start taking the 50mg plus extra 25 in the mornings as see how I cope with that sad

Thanks Rachael.

• Posted

Hi - what did you do in the end? I'm the same- on 50mg at the moment and 'almost' there but not quite but the idea of going up to 100mg is not one I want to go through.. thanks x

• Posted

Hi Kate, I'm in exact the same circumstance as you was. I'm *almost* back to my normal self on 50mg after 7.5 weeks.....(which is great news as I really didn't think they were helping til recently)  I'm undecided whether to go up a notch or just remain at 50mg for a few more weeks.... what did you do in the end? My thought was going up maybe just 25mg but the dr thinks adding 25mg is basically a waste of time and thinks to go to 100mg, but I'm not keen on the idea as the side effects were awful for me (heightened anxiety mainly but also loose tummy and nausea) - I had the side effects right up until about 6 weeks, and it's only now - at 7 weeks - they have finally made me feel 'ok'! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.