Sertraline 50mg to 75mg dose? Increase advice?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all feeling ok today. I posted on here last week about feeling some effect from the sertraline since starting it 6 weeks ago such as less 'emotional' outbursts (i.e crying for hours on end for no reason) but my anxiety is still there and bothering me. I went back to my doctors and she suggested upping to 75mg or even 100mg. I'm too scared to go to 100 but am considering 75. I had terrible side effects starting up, the worst being increased anxiety.

So my main issue/question is deciding between trying to survive how I am or trying to increase the dosage to 75 and hoping the side effects aren't as bad as the start up and I feel less anxious. Does anyone have any advice? Would it be possible to perhaps try 75mg for a couple of days and if my side effects come back to go back to 50 in two days time?

I'm torn between getting back to my old self and the fear of making myself worse again by increasing.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kate,

Thought I would chime in.  I started on 50mg 4 weeks ago.  As always, initially it was hard for 4 or 5 days.  After two weeks I was still feeling terribly depressed.  The doctor said I could increase to 75 mg so I did at the 2 week mark.  Again, the first 3 or 4 days were difficult but it was either that or the deep depression and anxiety.  Now I am just starting to have some really good days again.  That’s a first for me in a long time.  I had been on Zoloft several years ago and it worked then.  I was off all meds for years after but started spiraling downward over the past couple of years.  The doctor tried 3 other antidepressants which were horrible and decided to go back to Zoloft.  Long story short - I will increase to 100 mg if I have to.  The side effects are usually temporary and the depression needs to go!  Everyone reacts differently to different meds.  Hang in there.  Don’t be afraid - you can always stop or change medications.  You just have to get over that initial hump which you can do!!  Best to you!  It is a painful journey but there is light at the end.  

• Posted

How are you doing Kate are you on 100m still, I am just going to 75mg on my 3 day ok so far God bless

• Posted

Just gone up to 75 from 50mg no problem so far on my 3rd day I take it for morning depression and anxiety God has bless.

• Posted

Hi Kate,

So happy to find your comment. I am at a loss. I was on Lexapro 20 mg for many years, for chronic anxiety.. It stopped working a few months ago. my doc tried me on Effexor, no luck. She put me on Zoloft, 50 mg about 4 weeks ago. The beginning side effects were horrible, coupled with waiting for Zoloft to kick in. It finally kicked in about a week ago. The last two days, I have been symptomatic once again. I am thinking I need to up my dose to 75mg. I, will of course see my doc. I am learning that with Zoloft, I may not feel the full benefit for another couple of weeks. Your thoughts????

Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.