Sertraline and sleepiness

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone

I've been taking Sertraline for just over 9 weeks, 50mg for just over 7 weeks and 75mg for two weeks.

I had severe side effects when I started, these eased during the first three weeks, slight side effects when I increased. They have mostly gone.

But, I am so sleepy! Not tired, just sleepy and I'm posting to see if others have any comments and experiences about this. Otherwise I feel much better in all ways, just

s l e e p y.

Does it usually get better or is a side effect that stays forever? I'd be grateful to know what others experiences have been - initially and in the mid- longer-term.

Thanks a lot!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi joss I’ve been on 100mgs now for nearly 6wks and I’m still feeling really sleepy all the time but I don’t know wether it’s side effects or it’s because I Av to take sleeping tablets every night, As all ure anxiety gone now then? And r u feeling like ureself again. And will I get there? Cus as I said it’s been nearly 6wks now and I still have slight anxiety, still can’t sleep without sleeping tablets. And will I ever get back to feeling my normal self again 🌹

• Posted

Hi Debra, I feel calm, not remote, just calm. I hope this lasts, very slight ups and downs but nothing like it was before I started taking sertraline.

Proof recently when I had what would, in the past, have been a deeply upsetting encounter in my life. I felt sad and a bit worried, but not the emotional tsunami that I would previously have felt.

Because my experience of sertraline is quite limited, I don't know the answer to your questions Debra but I hope you soon start to feel  better.

I'm hoping that longer-term users will be able to tell us whether this sleepiness ever goes away, if it's just a shorter term side effect.

• Posted

One of the side effects as you know is drowsiness, it should however get better, if you still feel sleepy after two weeks try taking it three hours before you go to bed, other than that, it sounds like you're doing great. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Dan. Can you tell us more of your experiences?
  • Posted

Did you go from 25 to 50mg, if so how ling was you on 25 mg for?
    • Posted

I started on 50mg Kerry, was wiped out for 2-3 weeks with lots of side effects, the sleepiness, I think, got better at about 6 weeks on 50mg but wasn't, at its worst, as bad as it is  after 2 weeks at 75mg. Just hoping this will pass but find that at the mo I'm unable to stir myself.

• Posted

Hi Joss!

I am so glad someone has posted about sleepiness, I have it so bad thought I was the only one! It’s the only side effect I have now after being on 100mg over three weeks! Hoping it eases it makes it so hard to concentrate sad 

I was on 100mg sertraline for a year before I came back on it and I only had the odd sleepy feeling nothing like I feel now so I’m hoping it’ll pass! X

• Posted

Hi Shelbi I’ve been on 100mgs now for nearly 6wks and still feel abit crap and still not feeling like myself at all. How long do you think before I start feeling like myself again 🌹

• Posted

Hi Debra! It took like 8 weeks last time for my anxiousness to settle down ! And took even longer to feel my mood lift, but when it does you feel so much better you forget about how rubbish you were before!  I think it’s different for everyone because I’ve had two completely differently reactions from Sertraline but when it adjusts to your body you will be so thankful you stuck it out xx
    • Posted

Let me know how u get on! Might have to speak to my dr about sleepiness it’s crazy xx
    • Posted

Thanx Shelbi I can't wait to feel like myself again and be able to sleep naturally without aving to take sleeping tablets every night. The thing is tho I worry all the time about my sons and my grandchildren. Would this stop my sertraline to work properly or should it help

• Posted

You will get there Hun! Try natural things on a night as we’ll like get a lavender smell for your room and little things that will help u ease more (sounds little but works wonders) just until the sertraline takes full effect! And your tablets will help the worry when they kick in fully! I worry about my health so much to the point of panic and sertraline saved my sanity ❤️
    • Posted

Thank you so much selbi it’s so nice for you to reply. And gave me reassurance. It’s so scary feeling like this and not feeling like my normal self 🌹

• Posted

Ah this makes me feel better. Today marks 7 weeks and although I feel so much better I still am so anxious especially when I wake up like 6 am till afternoon. I’m hoping in a few weeks this goes away!! 
    • Posted

Hey Debra, thought i'd check in to see how you're doing!

hope you're doing well x

• Posted

Stick with it hun :-) you will get there! How you feeling now? x
    • Posted

Hi shelbi thanks for your reply. I’ve been on 100mgs now for the past 6/1/2 wks now with slight improvement. I still take sleeping tablets every night as I’m a bit scared that if I don’t . I wudnt beable to sleep as my mind just does overtime which makes me panick even more. Im going to carry on with dose for a couple of more weeks and see how I go. Hopefully I’ll get back to feeling like myself again 🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.