Sertraline causing palpatations all day!!!

Posted , 17 users are following.

hi I started taking sertraline 25mg last week and I'm due to increase to 50mg in the morning. Ever since starting these I have heart flutters all day and night. My heart doesn't race it just skips, is anyone else experiencing this and will it be worse if I up my dose? I have severe anxiety which causes me to always feel out of breath and I never leave the house anymore. I'm 28 and really want to get better. I was on citalopram for 6 years and over the past year my anxiety has came back that's why my mens have been changed. Thank you 

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cathy

I had a similar reaction when I first started. I was having bad anxiety and panic attacks and bouts of pretty bad depression at the time. The seratraline made this worse in the first two weeks. This resulted in similar side effects - shortness of breath etc. As I upped the dose to 50 and then to 100, every day got better and better. Now, 12 months on, I am back to normal. You will be too! Just stick out the first two weeks. See if you can get some valium to help calm your nerves and get to sleep. If you drink alcohol or smoke - stop doing both of those things now! (This coming from a reformed alcoholic and borderline chain smoker). Of course, I can only comment based on my own experience. You should talk to your doctor just to make sure. 

• Posted

hi I am 6 wks today on serts 50mg for sudden severe anxiety. i feel a lot better however wondered whether there was some under lying low mood as although doing my normal daily duties I feel lazy! my gp said at wk 3 about going up to 100mg and haven't yet. I wondered what your thoughts were ie if I feel ok on 50 would 100mg be a step to much or make me feel even better. Also did you have to go through the 2 wk side effects thing again when upping as I had horrible side affects.
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply, that's great to hear your back to normal and I hope I'm able to write that soon 😊 I have diazepam and propanol at home but I'm such a freak about tablets I hate taking them (guess that's part of anxiety) il will try my best to stick another week and if symptoms get worse I will chat to my doctor. I don't drink at all but I do smoke it's hard to quit coz I'm always just in the house
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply. The doc gave me propanol as well I'm just so scared of taking tablets but I suppose I should try one and hopefully would ease the palps. I've never used a forum before but it's great to talk to people who are or have experienced the same things
    • Posted

Hi Natalie, having a bit of Déjà vu here but it's probably another post of yours I've responded too!!!

If you're doing ok on the 50mg, and it could get better as it's only been 6 weeks, I'd say wait before thinking about an increase. If though you feel an increase may help after say 8-12 weeks only increase by 12.5mg (1/4 tablet) to 62.5mg in all. See how that goes for a couple of weeks then if you think more would help go to 75mg total and so on. I'm sure that way it would limit any additional side effects plus you won't be taking such a large dose all at once. Just my opinion.

Hope it goes well for you 😃

• Posted

hi blu thanks for the advice. I have a gp review Fri so will see how it goes. Thanks again ☺
  • Posted

hi Cathy I had same symptoms plus more ie funny sleep patterns and loss of appetite. my gp gave me a low release propranolol twice daily which are beta blockers these really helped calm me and stop the physical affects ie heart palps, shakes and cold symptoms. I am 6 wks now on 50mg serts and feel a lot better appetite back having some nights with good sleep and generally coping well I was given meds for sudden severe anxiety at Xmas and had never suffered before.
  • Posted

I understand how hard it is Cathy. Trust your doctor and go with his/her advice and prescriptions. You will feel better. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi cathy, propanol was a life saver for me in the early stages of Sertraline.... had very bad shakes and anxiety, the propanol were great! 😃
    • Posted

snap still on slow release propranolol twice daily now and they really help
    • Posted

Errr, we both spelt it wrong, it's propanalol lol.. 😃
  • Posted

I started sertraline and was also given Lorazepam for emergencies. Zoloft has not been easy to get used to. The pounding heart is especially scary. Im on week 1 and need to get my life back!! Everything started from a very bad week full of multiple bad instances. I basically take my pill at 6am and can not commit to anything until after 1pm. My doctor says i will only need the 50mg and i have no plans on upping my dose even if his opinion changes. Hot baths have been helping but the hot and cold with the sweaty hands and feet have sucked all quality of life out of my days. So far the only good thing is that i have committed to no longer using alcohol or marijuana. First time in a long time so Im wondering what my new life will be like. Love the thread, helps out a little.

• Posted

hi dan well done for putting a stop to alcohol and marijuana.  i have a friend who used to smoke marijuana for about 20 years (and some alcohol use but not too much), he was always unwell with depression and anxiety during that entire time.  he has stopped doing both alcohol and marijuana and is really well again now, you can see by looking at him and talking to him he is just so much better with everything.

ps. in the future (but not recommended early on in your recovery and sertraline treatment), you are allowed to have the odd alcohol drink or two, so don't worry if you are at a wedding or something.  obviously don't overdo it though if poss  smile

• Posted

oh, my reply got stopped, i keep forgetting about you can't mention certain words words on the forum.

anyway all it really said was, well done m8 for quitting that stuff and you will def be better off for it (even if at first u feel worse)

ther sertraline will help you of course, just needs some time to get going ok

ps. look into your diet too if necessary,  i found that to make such a difference in the way i feel (i eat fruit now, mainly bananas but also oranges and apples, and also healthy cereal what isn't loaded with sugar)

i dont eat crisps, buscuits or chocolate as often now, and that has been really helpful. 

• Posted

I have been on Sertraline for 3yrs and have slowly increased my dose up to 200mg. In the past year i also started taking 40mg of propranolol per day and i STILL get heart flutters and palpitations or moments when it feels like my heart just stops for a second. (They wonder why im always asking for ECGs)
    • Posted

Hi, a year on, are you still getting the palpatations on 200mg of Sertraline? I've recently upped my dose to 200mg myself and I have been getting palpatations on and off for the last couple of weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.