Sertraline causing palpatations all day!!!

Posted , 17 users are following.

hi I started taking sertraline 25mg last week and I'm due to increase to 50mg in the morning. Ever since starting these I have heart flutters all day and night. My heart doesn't race it just skips, is anyone else experiencing this and will it be worse if I up my dose? I have severe anxiety which causes me to always feel out of breath and I never leave the house anymore. I'm 28 and really want to get better. I was on citalopram for 6 years and over the past year my anxiety has came back that's why my mens have been changed. Thank you 

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Cathy I'm having them too but I'm on 150mg. I was also on Citalopram for years but had to change when they stopped px 60 mg due to possible effects on the heart. 40mg just didn't cut it. I have been using deep breathing techniques when I get bad palpitations and I find it helps. I get them as soon as I lie down in bed! I'm hoping it will settle down.

• Posted

Hi Gina. Have your palpitations stopped now? I used to be on citalopram then changed to sertraline 25mg 2 weeks ago and I'm having palpitations almost every day. I also have headaches, dizziness and nausea. I've read these are common side effects but the palpitations specifically are really scaring me and making my anxiety worse! People say stick with it because the symptoms will wear off but I'm really concerned!

Beth x

• Posted

I'm on week 3 and the palpitations are horrendous, making my anxiety worse!

• Posted

Hi Beth yes my palpitations have settled down. I managed them with deep breathing 5,5,5. Inhale, hold, breathe out. Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

I just started on sertraline four days ago and I went to the emergency room because my heart was skipping a beat all day and night especially before I layed down to bed. I didnt sleep for nearly two days. They kept me over night and ran all the heart tests and all came back normal even though I was getting palpitations on the EKG. Sent me home and now the palpitations are back. Is it ok to take 10mg of propranolol before bed to calm the heart even though my heart rate and pulse rate are already normal to low?
  • Posted

hi cathy, i see that you posted this 3 years ago so i would understand if you don't respond. i recently got prescribed zoloft, well today actually. I've been having anxiety attacks and i was just hoping to get some feedback on if something like this works for you, or if it still causes your heart to act funny. Thanks.

• Posted

Mine have settled down now but I managed them with deep breathing. Breathe in for 5, hold for 5, breathe out for 5. I still do this in bed some nights as this is my worst time. The more you worry the worse it becomes as your anxiety kicks in.  The breathing really helps to calm everything down. 
  • Posted

Hi I’m new to this anxiety and depression stuff . I just turned 18 and since I’ve turned 18 I’ve been told by my docotor and physiatrist that I have anxiety ..  I just started taking 25mg of setraline today . And before taking the pill I was having panic attacks and really bad Chest pains and shortness of breathe I went to the ER and they did a EKG and everything was fine I even went to the cardiologist and he said my heart was ok , so I’m just wondering if I’ll ever get back to my old self . 
    • Posted

Hi Nicole, I once read a book called 'Panic Attacks: What They Are, Why They Happen and What You Can Do About Them' (http://amzn.eu/d/ecR61ji). It really helped me to overcome the panic attacks just by understanding the mechanics behind them. The saying "knowledge is power" really applies here. If you haven't read a book like this one yet, you should wink

• Posted

hi, just picked my sertraline up today, first time taking antidepressants, I have very low mood and want to cry alot, my doctor said these would help, but if I already feel anxious why would he give me something that would only increase it, I just want to feel normal 😢 I'm so fed up of feeling low, should I give sertraline a go guys

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.