Sertraline Diary

Posted , 17 users are following.

31st March 2018.

Having read the huge number of posts about this drug, and the side effects associated with it, I thought it might be helpful to start a diary of my own experience as I am new to it and wonder whether others can relate to what I'm going through.

If this diary can be of mutual benefit to us then it's worth it! Any positive comments would obviously be greatly appreciated.

I've suffered from what I would consider to be mild to moderate depression for a few years, enough to take the edge off life, but controllable without drugs. Then, at the beginning of March an episode in my personal life set me off on a full-blown panic attack: going cold, violent shaking, severe nausea, cold sweats, worse case scenario thoughts, complete lack of appetite, insomnia etc, the attack lasted about 36 hours. Another attack later and my very supportive husband took me off to the doctor.

I have been prescribed 50mg sertraline, with 80mg propranolol beta blocker (to take the edge off the panic attacks).

The course started 28th March, I'm taking the tablets at about 9am. Having read the leaflets that come with the medicines, I understood that side effects were possible and that the benefits can take a while to kick in. But..... Oh My Goodness!!!! Hardly slept that night.

29th March, spent most of the day in bed, could just about get out to use the loo, had to rely on husband to cook dinner for the kids (16 and taking gcse's- arghh, and 11 and stressed from moving to secondary school- arghh). Felt very nauseous but actually had a half-decent night's sleep.

30th March, day started okay although there is a constant feeling of nausea and treading on egg shells so as not to elevate the kids in case it sets off another panic attack. I bought a book from Amazon called "the mindful teen" to help my youngest deal with his stress and therefore with my own. We started reading it together. Also I'm doing a mindfulness course for anxiety on "Headspace" although can't help thinking that I'm well beyond help from that point of view, however I will persist. Was able to eat a slice of toast for breakfast and spaghetti on toast for lunch but by the time dinner time came, couldn't face anything. Again I had to rely on hubby. I'm also finding it difficult to drink a whole drink, eg only some tea or coffee and only sips of water. Cannot bear the thought of alcohol, which I guess is a good thing! Had a terrible night's sleep, worse case scenarios going through the head again.

I will see how I go with my diary, if it becomes too much for me to continue I'm sure you'll understand. I'd love to hear from anyone out there going through the same thing, we can help each other.

3 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, thank you for your post. I really think it helps to right it down so you can see your progress, on the other hand you will most likely have blips too but from my own experience I think this is the brain adjusting to the drug. 

I’m 5 weeks in and still have a way to go but I’m feeling positive about my journey. 

It will be harder some days than others but you just have to keep going things will get better, in general I think it takes around 3-4 weeks for side effects to lesson and 6-8 weeks to start to feel the real benefits of the drug. 

Keep posting and talking on here it really does help. 

Claire x

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your post.

Isn't it ironic that we take sertraline to deal with those issues that the side effects then throw back at us! A real test for those of us who perhaps are least up to the challenge.

I have a feeling that the weeks are going to crawl by, but I have hope.

• Posted

Yes it’s certainly strange how our minds and bodies work, but remaining positive is a key factor at overcoming this. 

Staying busy and trying to tak your mind of things will help, easier said than done I no! 

We are all here to help one another x

• Posted

Day 4

Only day 4....

Time is dragging. Felt pleased with myself for doing a laundry load today, took so much effort. After a bad night I had a nap after lunch, managed to doze a bit. Nausea still present all day, only managed a mouthful of dinner. Have lost half a stone in 2 weeks. Can't eat but feel really hungry. Forced a small bowl of cereal in me before bed and realised a short while later that the nausea had lessoned. Went to bed when I felt like I could drop off and had a reasonable night.

To ensure I have some natural goodness getting into me, I am taking fruit and veg powder from Supplement Place. It's dried (not extract) and it makes me feel better that I am at least absorbing some vits and minerals!

• Posted

I think that’s exactly what you should be doing, small steps that are manageable yet you can feel proud that you have done them because actually you are quite ill from side effects so to do anything at all is a massive achievement. 

I have used build up before from the chemist to get something in me and also rich tea biscuits and cans of Fanta just so I’d had a few calories when I couldn’t manage anything else x

• Posted

Day 5

No nausea! Tiredness seems to be the main side effect now. Reasonable night's sleep although I did have pains resembling menstrual cramps and needed to take painkillers.

Appetite coming back, no progress on symptoms for why I'm taking sertraline but then that would be unrealistic! Just relieved I'm not feeling sick at the moment.

• Posted

Day 6

Not a good day, felt anxious constantly, worried about the effect it's having on my 11yo as he suffers from stress too. Tried to explain that it's an illness but not sure if that didn't make it worse.

Went out for lunch, reminded what a frenetic world it is out there especially with my lovely but controlling mother!

• Posted

Hi, it’s still very early days for you but your moving in the right direction. Heightened anxiety is a sign the meds are doing what their supposed to be unfortunately you just have to stick with it for a couple more weeks. 

It will get better in time, keep reassuring your son that it is an illness but you have medicine now x

• Posted

Day 7

Hubby went back to work today so I was left alone with 2 kids and a dog. Managed to walk the dog and went to see a friend just to get out the house. Anxiety levels high and counting the minutes until hubby came home. Had to nap in the middle of the day despite having a reasonable night. Still lack of appetite and very dry mouth.

• Posted

That sounds like a positive day going out and doing everyday things is very positive. The thing with meds is we have to help them work too, keeping positive and getting on with things will certainly help on the road to recovery. X

• Posted

Days 8 and 9

Dreadful day 8, ended up back at doctors, another panic attack set off by my personal trigger. Mild sleeping tablets prescribed with the assurance that if the side effects are really too much after 2 weeks I can change to another drug which I'm reluctant to do as it would be like starting again? Good night's sleep.

Day 9, parents came round to help and for company. Felt better and was able to eat but started feeling bad again when they left. Not a good night's sleep.

Getting so fed up now, want to feel normal again.

• Posted

This is all normal what your describing I’ve experianced highs and lows still am now and I’m 6 weeks today!

You’ve got to think you’ve only been taking the meds for 9 days, that’s still very early but the meer fact that your having spurts of good shows that the drug is working it’s way through your system. 

Don’t give up yet, there will be light at the end of the tunnel x

• Edited

Day 10

Feel anxious constantly, relying heavily on hubby for support who is so good. Still can't face cooking for the family and can only eat very small quantities. Feel very fatigued.

Went out today with youngest and hubby. Spent the time walking round wondering how everyone else can be acting so normally when I feel so rotten.

Mood improved slightly in the evening, had a good night's sleep.

• Edited

I did exactly the same thing, looking at people wondering why they don’t seem to be anxious like me, but saying that no one knows I’m anxious either, so we can’t judge by first glance as we never really no what others are going through. 

You are doing amazing you really, your carrying on normal life whilst having this tremendous urge to run somewhere you don’t no where but just needing to get out!

I had a meltdown at day 10 where I was frightened to death to collect my children from school and go home! Simple but still made me very anxious. 

It tries to grab at anything it can, but try to keep going you will over come this x

• Posted

Thanks for your support Claire, it means a lot. Nice to hear from someone a little further down the road. How are you doing compared to before you started the drug?
    • Posted

I’m happy to offer support when I can 😊   I’m doing ok, still have anxiety there but I’m able to get on with it better now. 

My dads in hospital really poorly so I don’t think that’s helping but I would prob be worse without them!

I have been on these meds before and felt myself, holidaying, working full time, going out out lol but I lowered the dose on docs advise and now I wish I hadn’t and just remained on them. 

I seem to be going through the motions like last time, unfortunately they took around 4 months to make any real difference but before that things do and did start to get easier. 

I hope my ramblings are useful lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.