Sertraline Diary

Posted , 17 users are following.

31st March 2018.

Having read the huge number of posts about this drug, and the side effects associated with it, I thought it might be helpful to start a diary of my own experience as I am new to it and wonder whether others can relate to what I'm going through.

If this diary can be of mutual benefit to us then it's worth it! Any positive comments would obviously be greatly appreciated.

I've suffered from what I would consider to be mild to moderate depression for a few years, enough to take the edge off life, but controllable without drugs. Then, at the beginning of March an episode in my personal life set me off on a full-blown panic attack: going cold, violent shaking, severe nausea, cold sweats, worse case scenario thoughts, complete lack of appetite, insomnia etc, the attack lasted about 36 hours. Another attack later and my very supportive husband took me off to the doctor.

I have been prescribed 50mg sertraline, with 80mg propranolol beta blocker (to take the edge off the panic attacks).

The course started 28th March, I'm taking the tablets at about 9am. Having read the leaflets that come with the medicines, I understood that side effects were possible and that the benefits can take a while to kick in. But..... Oh My Goodness!!!! Hardly slept that night.

29th March, spent most of the day in bed, could just about get out to use the loo, had to rely on husband to cook dinner for the kids (16 and taking gcse's- arghh, and 11 and stressed from moving to secondary school- arghh). Felt very nauseous but actually had a half-decent night's sleep.

30th March, day started okay although there is a constant feeling of nausea and treading on egg shells so as not to elevate the kids in case it sets off another panic attack. I bought a book from Amazon called "the mindful teen" to help my youngest deal with his stress and therefore with my own. We started reading it together. Also I'm doing a mindfulness course for anxiety on "Headspace" although can't help thinking that I'm well beyond help from that point of view, however I will persist. Was able to eat a slice of toast for breakfast and spaghetti on toast for lunch but by the time dinner time came, couldn't face anything. Again I had to rely on hubby. I'm also finding it difficult to drink a whole drink, eg only some tea or coffee and only sips of water. Cannot bear the thought of alcohol, which I guess is a good thing! Had a terrible night's sleep, worse case scenarios going through the head again.

I will see how I go with my diary, if it becomes too much for me to continue I'm sure you'll understand. I'd love to hear from anyone out there going through the same thing, we can help each other.

3 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Day 11

A quiet day. Spent most of it reading a book to try and immerse myself into another world. Felt generally okay for side effects, however it's all relative. Still waiting for the drug benefits to kick in.

Went to a friend's in the evening, 3 couples and we're best friends. I'd already told one friend of my troubles and she had told the others, believing I needed the support. She was right. The love and support I had from all of them as soon as I walked in was very touching. 2 of them are also on anti-depressants so they understand.

Slept well that night.

• Posted

Hi Popwop

?I also have just started taking this medication after spending 9 yrs on velaflaxine which worked well for many years .

?My husband is very supportive too which helps a lot , as for my children they have found it difficult growing up .

?They are I must say very rounded though and grown up my daughters is a PA and my son works in the building trade , both have been affected by my illness and have suffered .

I think it has helped them by me being honest about my life and what lead to me becoming ill .

?I have been ill since I was 13 I am now 47 ok it was childhood experiences that lead me to become ill and lots and lots off trauma off which has caused my suffering .

I am still here fighting and have love and support , "it sounds to me that you have everything in hand ".

?I have had lots off the therapy 8 yrs off seeing a psychologist which our then prime minister Tony Blair

?helped me to get after writing to him as I could not get the help I needed and felt as the system was

to play a part in the damage caused that he should help and to my surprise it did.

?The women  helped me so much I was lucky .

?I must say I would love not to have too take medication , but after watching Ruby Wax's documentary about

?her illness made me realize that I will have to take them for life .

?Yes I am feeling not too great at the moment plenty off visits to the toilet and sweating that's the one thing I really hate and what I call the nodding dog head but to be honest I do take other meds for diabetes which I inject and take thyroid meds as well which can make me feel little sick .

?So I will wait and see how things go and see how they affect me the one thing I have found is loss off sex drive

?and I have spent so many years with out one , that could possibly be down to other factors .

?So here's hoping for the both off use hay !!

?Good Luck .

?

• Posted

Day 12

Another average day. Feel like I'm just watching life pass me by because I have no energy to participate.

Achievements today amount to 2 washing loads and a handful of ironing.

Apetite has come back mostly. No more nausea, just the constant elevated anxiety is present.

Had 2 friends who are on sertraline pop round briefly, they reassured me that it would get better. They certainly seem "normal" and active, just come back from a bike ride. Found out that my Mum is also on sertraline although only 25mg now. Because she didn't start it for anxiety though, she can't relate to that side effect as she never had it.

It's weird, like when I was pregnant suddenly it seemed everyone around me was pregnant. Now the same with sertraline. I'm trying to take comfort from that, normal life can resume in due course.

• Posted

It sounds like you are making some progress. It's the exhaustion that worried me the most. It's unbelievable. If i did anything mildly strenuous ( like carry washing upstairs for example) I would get racing heartbeat and be short of breath and have to sit down. In the early days I could do nothing. I lay in bed staring at the ceiling. I am now on 125mg and am seeing a bit of improvement. I still get out of breath very easily and am not up to going into shops yet but I can drive now so I think I'm getting there. I have had anxiety for a long long time but didn't recognise it. Silly really. I just want to feel normal ..not that I know what that feels like to be honest.

Good luck ..keep posting.

At least the sun is shining

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

Hi Hoopz, unfortunately the sun is not shining here (East Sussex) - lol!

I, too, keep wondering what "normal" feels like.  When discussing with my friends I realise I haven't felt happy in years, the best I ever get to is "content".

• Posted

Hi, how are you finding it now?

I started Sertraline 5 days ago after mirtazapine seemed to stop working- upped. GP has started me on 50mg Sertraline and reduced my Mirtazapine down to 30mg to reduce further I. A couple of weeks. I suffer with OCD and intrusive thoughts and lost my Mum last year so I think a crisis has been building! I'm not sure if the thoughts were going to come anyway but the last few days they have been so forceful! Currently in bed as couldn't face work today! I'm hoping Sertraline will kick in soon....

• Posted

Hi Caron

I'm only day 13 but the first 8 days were hell.  Yes, loads of weird thoughts going through my head.  Have you tried mindfulness?  I can recommend "Headspace" if you want to give it a go. Scientifically proven to work.

• Posted

Day 13

Best day so far as far as side effects are concerned. Main thing now is fatigue and I feel constantly anxious. I'm taking sertraline for anxiety and still no benefits yet. I managed to cook for the family today, we seem to be living on spaghetti bolognese as I cannot get organised with menus and shopping etc. Seems like life has been put on hold.

• Posted

Hi popwop, just been reading your diary for the first time. I find it so relating. I don't feel too bad for day 7 but know its and up and down process. I was prescribed for IBS which I had for 3 years and the latest bout I couldn't handle. The pain was unreal and turned a bit to drink to block it out. It all ended up with me breaking down in the doctors as can't accept it is IBS I'm a 44 year old man for gods sake! How could I live with this for the rest of my life. I know accept that I have anxiety. I've had it all my life since childhood but never really thought it could affect your insides. Like yourself I had a terrible few first days. It was an unreal world, my anxiety was heightened as was my IBS. My wife didn't understand at first but she is very caring now. I am currently on the guilt and regret stage. Things running through my head like I have to tell someone. I've done nothing really bad, nothing illegal but makes me feel disgusting. I told my wife some things and she laughed which actually made me feel better. She says I'm analysing too much and need to look forward not in the past. I think your diary is great as we can all see similar traits and stages. We can all get through this just remain positive and we will get a positive result.

• Posted

Just posted in my other discussion! I just went to see my GP and she said she's not going to change anything and expected anxiety to get worse. I'm anxious about changing meds and starting a new one. I told her I've read all the nasty side effects and convince myself I'm going to get like that so she told me to stop reading! I'm on day 6 which she said is early days and said she expects an improvement next week. I'm taking the rest of the week off xx

• Posted

I would suggest don't stop reading, however don't assume the worst!  I find it's helpful to know possible side effects and perhaps comforting to know it's normal.  Day 6 is early days.  Stick it out!

• Posted

Thanks so much PopWop. Hope you are having a good day x
  • Posted

Day 14

It's been a long 2 weeks.

1 more week and then I get assessed by the doctor. I'm not yet feeling the benefits in terms of anxiety relief so I wonder if my dosage will be increased.

Had a busy day, 2 separate activities, the last one being a dip in a friend's hot tub which helped me relax. It helps me to keep busy although I get tired very quickly.

In terms of side effects the ones I'm left with are fatigue, light headedness sometimes, slight lack of appetite, taste seems to be changed (not fond of chocolate or alcohol at the moment), dry mouth, elevated general anxiety. Improvements I've seen are better sleeping, no nausea, better stomach.

• Posted

Hi,

I've been reading your diary, too. After 2nd week it should get considerably better - as for side effects. The worst is behind you! For me, the 3rd week was good. Now I'm at the end of week 4. No fatigue, no nausea, still lack of appetite (but I am thankfull for that! :-) I still wish I could sleep better and not wake up in the middle of the night. I generally feel better in the evening, I feel a bit happier on Sertraline than before (still anxious though). In the evening we go out with my husband for long walks and it really helps to relax mind.

• Posted

Thank you so much for writing a diary about your journey. I am on day 1 of Sertraline so wanted to see what I am to expect. I was on Citalopram for about 6 weeks but my doctor took me off them as they made me worse and we have now started Sertraline. Fingers crossed for us all! 
    • Posted

Good luck Merridah.

You will see how hard I've found it.  As you know, everyone is different.  Don't get hung up on the side effects, bear in mind that those who have no side effects don't post on this forum!!  According to the leaflet in my Sertraline box, those who suffer side effects are still a minority.

Ironically, positive thinking is what's required - Sertraline is supposed to be one of the best when you come out the other side! wink

• Posted

I always seem to suffer side effects of medicine haha! I do like to arm myself so I know what I am to potentially expect. I really want to reach the other side though so going to keep on swimming! My friend is on Sertraline for PND and she is doing fantastically well so I have high hopes for us all! 

I've also enrolled in a Mindfulness course and going to join Yoga so help me through it so again fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.