Sertraline - Does it make you feel happy??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good Morning all...

I know this may seem a silly question, but I was just curious to know about the end goal of Sertraline... 

Ive read many posts about how this medication has helped with reducing peoples panic attacks, negative thinking, health anxiety, ocd etc (and helped people to focus better and go about there day to day lives) but does this medication actually help to make you feel happier or is it just a process of reducing/ eliminating our initial anxiety related problems that brings about a better mood?? 🌹

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hello all, I don't know if this will still be viewed as helpful given that the original post was made 6 months ago, but this is my story;

I have always suffered from anxiety, depression etc from a young age. However, this had never been treated (I think there is ADHD in there somewhere but one thing at a time). In 2014 I basically lost the plot and self harmed to the point where I would black out. My parents found me one night with 150+ transverse lacerations on my arms and legs (across the way e.g. what I believe to be a cry for help). I don't believe I have physically tried to kill myself but I have considered it to be honest. After all that was said and done, I tried meditation, mindfulness, therapy and anger management - which to a certain degree helped me! I managed to scrape the bottom of life by taking drugs and drinking excessively - this only alleviated the issues for one night! I eventually thought i had sorted stuff out but, at the beginning of 2017 I was at a football/soccer match and my anxiety got the better of me! Over the course of the months after, this put me back into a dark place. My only saving grace this time was that i recognized the symptoms. Between the 2014 and 2017 events, I wasn't great but I could cope - like I say - with drugs and alcohol. After feeling myself relapse to the point of self harming and maybe even suicide (but recognising the symptoms instead) I went to my GP. Initially I was started on beta blockers (Propronol) but these had no effects. In Nov'17 I started my course of Sertraline. Initially beginning on 50mg... I was gradually increased to a suitable dose of 200mg. Since going on to 200mg per day as of Mar'2018 I can genuinely say that I am feeling better about things. The common opinion about this medication is not related to getting high or numb or euphoric. The only way I can describe my feelings are as 'just about as normal as can be'. I am 26 now and am finally feeling like i can cope. My advice would be, if you can sustain the initial downer and get past it... life will begin to be much better. I agree that it has a slight strain on emotional emotions I.e. not being able to cry when you feel like it but... I have my wicked sense of humour, sarcasm and wit back. I make people laugh again which means the world to me. I hope this will help anyone who doubts the initial impact of the medication but if you persevere with the it - I promise you that you will get to the other side. Please excuse my dyslexia, that coupled with being from Glasgow doesn't give AutoCorrect an easy time. If you need anyone to talk to, please get in touch! MB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.