Sertraline for anxiety whilst menopausal

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All

I am 5 years in menopause and recently started suffering with very bad anxiety. My GP has prescribed Sertraline. I have read the side effects and am frightened to take it. I would welcome any shared experienced with this medication please.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on Setraline for years, it does take a few weeks for your body to adjust to the right dosage, sometimes it does increase your anxiety for a few weeks, once your body adjusts to it. Setraline has helped me tremedously.

• Posted

Hi Pam

Thank you for your reply.

Good to hear that the Setraline has helped you. May I ask if it had any effect on your libido please?

Kindest regards

Maxine

• Posted

oh yes it does, im so tired all the time. I have a very understanding boyfriend

• Posted

Thank you Pam, so you have lost your sex drive whilst on Setraline, is that right? or are you saying that tiredness is the cause?

• Posted

Hi Maxine - I've also just been prescribed this for the same reason, been taking it a week and so far it seems ok - though I've only been on 25mg, increasing to 50mg next week, hope it works for both of us - I've heard really good things - just requires patience.

• Posted

ive been on sertraline for a couple of years now started at 25g then 50g then 100? i started reading side effects affects and realised i was in a visious circle because i was on them for health anxiety but the symtoms i seemed to have were making me anxious so the doctors kept upping my dose ! it was only when my best friend read deeper into it that alot of what i was feeling most recently

muscle twitching was linked to menopause , anxiety and sertraline can cause this too ,ive come off them which i know you shouldnt just come off bit felt i couldnt feel

any worse , well the difference is unmistakable , i feel

so much better , doctors look for the easy way out and think anti depressions will help , i am sure it does for some , bit dont be too quick into thinking they are the answer as i think for me they were the cause !

• Posted

i have a prescription too but scared to take it ...dont need anxiety on top of anxiety and all these pills ads seem to make you more anxious

• Posted

thats what ive been reading a little too late , if you look at the side effects there are loads , which mirror anxiety and perimenopausal symptoms ! im no medical

expert but they are not slways the answer especially with people that suffer high anxiety x

• Posted

yes i agree many peiple take them no problem but if youre sensitive i think its not such a good idea

• Posted

I was prescribed this by my ob/gyn after I had my daughter. I took only one dose and it gave me diarrhea. So I stopped taking it. Prior to that they prescribed Paxil and that gave me terrible anxiety and I almost fainted. So I don't mess with any pharmaceutical anti-anxiety medicine. I take herbal supplements for it like Lemon balm, Ashwaganda, and Rodalia Rosea. This comes in a combination capsule. I definitely felt the difference after the first dose. Read around and research which herbs help with anxiety. Good luck with your search

• Posted

Hi Maxine,

I took SERT for Meno anxiety. initial side effects (increased anxiety) were awful (1st 3-4 weeks were the worst). i found it easier to increase in 25's til i 'found my dose' (150mg). ie. when i felt normal all of the time. trouble is i put on a huge amount of weight, so i swapped to prozac, 20 mg, which sometimes doesnt feel enough! if it weren't for gaining over a stone I'd have stayed on sert...once it worked, it was brilliant!

• Posted

yea they say getting on them us the worst part and that you have to take other drugs with it to stop the side effects ...thats a lot of different pills and seems like a whole rollercoaster ride to go on

• Posted

certainly was a roller-coaster! yes you can ask for diazepam or similar to get thru the worst. i took them now and then when i needed to feel normal (job interviews!). for me sertraline was the right thing. i needed the serotonin. when your ovaries stop, your estrogen plummets and so does serotonin, hence anxiety. So hrt to put the hormone levels back or anti anxiety meds to put the serotonin back. pros and cons to both. these days i take magnesium amongst other vits/mins, it's great for calming the nervous system.

• Posted

Hi Julie

Thanks for your reply. I have been given diazepam to take with it for the first 2 weeks. I tried Citralopram earlier this year but had to stop it as the first couple of days of taking it I had suicidal thoughts and this was with the diazepam. I remember Prozac having the same effect many years ago.Did you put on weight with the Sertraline or was your libido effected?

Regards

Maxine

• Posted

that's ok! yes sertraline affected my libido (150 mg). oh and i remember it was extremely difficult to climax and if i did, i had intense stabbing pains in my head followed by panic that id burst a blood vessel!! im only on 20mg prozac now 3 yrs post meno but libido virtually non-existent! thinking its hormones (lack of) rather than the prozac? im not on hrt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.