Sertraline for anxiety whilst menopausal

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All

I am 5 years in menopause and recently started suffering with very bad anxiety. My GP has prescribed Sertraline. I have read the side effects and am frightened to take it. I would welcome any shared experienced with this medication please.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi! This was a life saver for me! The side effects can last up to 6weeks but I feel allot better on it, have more normal energy, not wired, anxiety almost gone and it is suppose to stop hot flashes, which since taking it I have never had and haven't had a period for 5 months so def in hormonal imbalance. I did great one it! Hope it helps you!

• Posted

Hi Deedee,

Thank you for your reply.May I ask, have you put on weight on it and lost your sex drive?

• Posted

Hey Maxine, it wasn't for me at all! I took a very low dose prescribed by my OB and after a week had severe depression and anxiety. When I constantly contemplated suicide, I realized it was the meds and not me. Thank God!! I'm normally a happy go lucky kind of person and on these pills understood how depression really hurts & feels. Although it gave me a better understanding & clarity what depression feels like, I NEVER want to feel that way again. I immediately threw them out, within an hour the depression left, anxiety & hot flashes returned. I'll take the unwelcome menopause symptons any day!!!

Just not for me.

• Posted

i was prescribed this for my peri anxiety - v bad side effects. insomnia & nausea the worst. but i think you have to try as Side-effects may not exist for you. I went onto HRT and that gave me my life back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.