Sertraline help!

Posted , 19 users are following.

I was diagnosed with severe panic disorder and social agarophobia with heightened anxiety and panic attacks 14days ago. I have been on Sertraline for 14 days but the side effects are horrendous. I have panic attacks from 730 till late afternoon. Does anyone else have this?? Please i need to talk to someone who understands as im alone 😨

0 likes, 717 replies

717 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Nicola, hope you are ok. I took my 1st 50mg sertraline late last night and woke up nauseous, was sick but empty stomach, and very anxious today, so much so that I asked my sister over to talk. Also got pins and needle. Only had 4 hrs sleep so feel worse for that and trying to catch a nap but struggling due to indigestion and anxiety. Everyone says to stick with it so I guess we will have to try. Im also on betablockers for anxiety/ palpitations which was already making me feel dizzy and unsteady on feet.i am wishing the next fortnight away hoping things improve.
    • Posted

Hi Julie. Im really sorry that you are struggling but please know you are not alone and it is normal what you are going through. The lovely people on here have made me see that. Do you mind if i ask what you are taking it for? Its my 15th day today and i can honestly say its getting worse for me. Its the panic disorder and attacks that are the worst . Its constant and im really struggling to not give in. I really hope you don't have any worse side effects. I am here if you want to chat xx

• Posted

Hi Pam, i am no better im afraid. I am waiting for my Doctor to give me a ring back to discuss my side effects. I have had crippling panic attacks on and off since early this morning. Thank you for asking me. How are you coping today? I really do hope you are having a good day, sending good thoughts to you xx
    • Posted

Thanks Nicola, sorry you are going through the mill as well...and a bit concerned that you're still suffering 2 weeks in. No wonder people give up on AD's before they've started to help. On betablockers for anxiety related heart palps due to running on adrenaline! And yesterday i asked the doc for something to cheer me up and got the sertraline. Ive been having panic attacks regularly over xmas and trouble sleeping/waking with anxiety through the night, went to docs a week ago for BBs, which is keeping heartrate ok even tho i still feel the anxiety! So now im taking the sertraline im the hope i'll stop feeling the anxiety! 1st time in my life for this level of anxiety...48 and just been confirmed I'm officially menopausal...you don't say?! Lol we have to support each other for sure x

• Posted

Oh Julie that's awful i really feel for you. Panic attacks and anxiety really are the worst aren't they. Im going to stick with the herbal sleeping tablets as scared of the addiction with diazepam ect. I just think its a case of taking it day by day, I've read stories on here that some people go through 6 weeks of this before they see an improvement, im praying to god that's very rare. Do you have the support of your family? I find mine don't understand at all as i have always been so outgoing and confident, im 37. And yes we all must support each and we will win this battle! xx

• Posted

It's a horrible thing and just creeps up on you till it's got you fill grip! My mum n sister are supportive and understanding but my dads more of a pull yourself together type and he hasnt seen me in a state over it like my mum n sister have. Im mostly on my own tho, and wish i had someone around, it makes me calmer x

• Posted

I have them every day from when i wake till early evening and when im not mid attack the anxiety is crippling. Oh that is my dad aswell! My mum and sister are supportive but when they don't know what to do or say its hard. I have two children, a 14 yr old boy and a 20yr old daughter who are being amazing. But the thing is i shut myself away cos i know it kills them to watch me like this. So i am alone too really. But at least we all have each other on here xx

• Posted

Awww, let them help you. Sometimes a good hug would help no end! X
    • Posted

Wouldn't it be lovely if that could solve it all x i should try to let them in a bit but you know what a panic attack is like, its so frightening and i don't want them to worry anymore than they are really. How are you feeling at the minute? My attack has work off so just anxious and have a bad headache but might try to watch a film with my son when hes home from school Xx

• Posted

Hey Nicola I have a 15 year old son and a 5 year old daughter.Well my daughter woke me up crying last night saying she dreamed I had died.so that really didn't help my anxiety and nerves had a rough morning😪

• Posted

Oh no Pam that is awful, im so sorry 😢 poor little girl is too young to understand isn't she. Big hugs to you x How is your son dealing with it all? Fingers crossed for you that the meds work asap and you are all happier than ever xx

• Posted

Julie stick with it and the beta blockers they made me feel dizzy cold and pins n needles to but thst wears off
    • Posted

Hi Julie, how you getting on with the split dose? You finding it any easier? Have you heard from Nicola? Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, yes ive been much better splitting 50 for a week and have gone up to 75, 50 at night, 25 in morning. I have lost my jelly legs and can get out to shops even hairdressers today. I still have anxiety in the mornings which improves by the afternoon and i take a diazepam (2mg) if i need to go out in the morning. As i cant see the same doc for 4 weeks i am just making my own decision on increasing sert dose based on what people on here are doing. Im feeling much better more of the time, its day 23 and been in 75 Sert for 3 days now. Tho i did have a blip yesterday when my dad was pressuring me with incessant questions about work, money, pensions, my job...i came home stressed to the max! He has no empathy. How are you doing? I'll tell Nicola you're asking after her, she's doing well. Hope you are too xx

• Posted

Hey Michelle, Julie said you asked how i was? I feel alot better now thank you. The odd blip still but that's to be expected x how are you doing hun? I hope you're well xxx

• Posted

Hi Hun, it's good to hear from you. Not seen you on here for ages. I'm glad your doing well. I'm so pleased for you. How long have you been on 100mg for now? I'm not too good at the moment, felt more anxious, negative thoughts and really tired. Been on the 100mg for 8days now and not had any 'good' days yet. What were you like? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Julie, wow your doing really well. That's amazing. How you feeling on the 75mg? I had a couple of ok days on that but nothing since upping to 100mg. Fell abit rubbish to be honest, waking with anxiety and it's staying throughout the day, negative thoughts and really tired. Just hope it improves soon. That's a shame about your dad but at least you know what the stress was xxx

• Posted

I think im at 10/11 days? I stopped counting and took each day as it came x i still get anxiety so am not fixed but no panic attacks at all x im like you, always tired hun. I literally don't wake up properly till late afternoon x I've started to force myself out and i had my sister and nephews around last night which was a massive deal as i have social agoraphobia as well x when are you next due to see your GP? Xx

• Posted

That's great you've not had any panic attacks, that's such an improvement. Your doing so well. I know what you mean about the mornings I just can't get up! My dad has been taking the kids to school then I get sorted and go to work but it's a real effort. I had a couple of ok day on 75mg but nothing since going upto 100mg so abit deflated. Not sure if it's to do with my husband coming back to see the kids tomorrow. Not seen him since he left me on New Year's Eve so I'm probably anxious about that. I see my doctor next Wednesday xx

• Posted

Michelle im currently on 75 to an have had very little improvement how long were u on 75 before going to 100mg
    • Posted

Hi weenett, I was only on 75mg for 6days as my doctor wanted me too go up to 100mg and I decided to split it. Had a couple of ok days since upping I've had no improvement on 100mg. How long you been on 75mg for? Xx

• Posted

I feel for youhun x big hugs x it could be that? Or as i feel the same it could be 100mg? Im going yo ask my GP when i see her next if i might need to go up higher as im not happy as i should be x i hope all goes well with everything tomorrow babe 😊 xxx

• Posted

2 weeks ive upped it off my own back but had a crappy few wks so dunno if its the stress or if meds arent working got doc wk today
    • Posted

Thanks Hun. You still experiencing anxiety and negative thoughts? When do you see your doctor again? Xxx
    • Posted

How long have you been on sertaline for? Did you start off at 50mg? Xx
    • Posted

I started at 25 mg in sept but went up to 50 mg then did well till this last month
    • Posted

So you've been on it alittle while then. Maybe you need an increase to 100mg is it the anxiety that's coming back? X

• Posted

Hi Michelle, did you feel better on 75 then? Its hard to know isnt it if 100 is too much for you or not enough. Im taking 75 in one go now at night, felt fine this morning apart from i went to see a therapist to find out about CBT and hynotherapy so i was a bit nervous about that n got a bit emotional. See what tomorrow brings after 75 tonight, hopefully a better day! I need to go to work wednesday to earn some money before half term, may need some diazepam to get thru that! Lol then weds night i'll probably try upping to 100. I feel for you with your r/ship situation. I hope you are ok and it hasnt gone badly for you. Let me know how you are xx

• Posted

Hi Julie, I'm ok thanks Hun. Day was alittle better today. Still abit anxious but ok. Not sure I had a few good days on 75mg but was only on it 6days, been on the 100mg for 9days now. I've got the horrible metal taste in my mouth but I can live with that if it makes me better. Youre doing so well, good for you to increase dose and keep going. You trying cbt? I had cbt a few years back I can't remember if it helped or not but been having counselling for a few weeks now going ok so far. I tried hypnotherapy too at the beginning before I took meds, first session was good and helped. I only ended up having another 2 then started meds so didn't go back. Thanks Hun, he texted me this morning to say he was busy at work so won't be back this weekend and he'll try next week, my daughter was abit upset so not going to say when he's due to see them next time. It's all abit of a mess still but kids don't know anything as yet just trying to keep things normal as I can, it's bad enough me being ill xxx

• Posted

Hi Julie, how you getting on today? Your doing really well aren't you?! When did you say you were upping dose? This week? When you due back at the doctors again? Yes it could be your hrt, you'll have to see how you get on with it xxx

• Posted

Hey Nicola how are you?i had a really good week then kinda seemed to slide back some hoping to have a better day and not be so anxious
    • Posted

I think we are always going to get those bad days, I hope you feel better soon. I'm doing okay x was on 100mg for 20days and upped last night to 125 as I'm still not myself. Feel a bit anxious but I totally expected that

• Posted

What dose are you trying to reach?I am up to the 200mg and I am scared that it isnt going to work the problems I have been having
    • Posted

Maybe you should have another chat with your doctor if you're worried hun. I'm not trying to reach a dose I'm just going up 25 a time till I'm better x

• Posted

Yes they want me to wait til the 8 week mark for this increased dose.i think I am just anxious if it will work or if I am going to be going through all the side effects and all again
    • Posted

I think the more you have in you the easier it should get? I know Julie told me it can take up to 3 months to fully work hun, we just have to go with it unfortunately x
    • Posted

Hi Nicola, how are things? Hope your doing ok? I'm not bad, husband came back and we told the children we are separating so been an emotional few days but I'm feeling better than I have been but not 100% but about 70% better so that's something xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.