Sertraline help!

Posted , 19 users are following.

I was diagnosed with severe panic disorder and social agarophobia with heightened anxiety and panic attacks 14days ago. I have been on Sertraline for 14 days but the side effects are horrendous. I have panic attacks from 730 till late afternoon. Does anyone else have this?? Please i need to talk to someone who understands as im alone 😨

0 likes, 717 replies

717 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, sorry you are all suffering. It's a horrible illness. I have been on sertaline for 17days now, 6days on 25mg and 11days on 50mg. I have had terrible side effects, nausea, heightened anxiety, low mood, loss of appetite to name a few. The last few days my appetite has started to return and I'm eating something. I lost a stone and half so didn't want to lose anymore weight. I have 2 children too. My daughter is 10 and my son is 5 so it's been hard. I have been on sertaline a few years back and they helped me so much and I felt 'normal' again until anxiety and low mood struck. I can't remember the side effects being so bad last time but I may have blocked it out, I'm just scared they won't work for me again and I'll be struck like this. This forum has been a life saver, knowing people are going through the same and understand what your going through and that your not alone. It's good to speak on here so feel free to get in touch if anyone wants to chat and thanks for being there xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, im so sorry you're are suffering, it seems its "normal" for most for Sertraline. I have been on 50mg for 15 days and the panic disorder and attacks i have are so much worse than anything ive experienced before. I also cant eat and have lost 10lbs which is the only nice side effect. I am here if you want to chat also, none of us are alone here xx

• Posted

This is worrying me that it could take that long feeling so bad! I dint even know whether to try!
    • Posted

Ahh Julie i feel exactly the same but there are so many success stories on here we just have to believe in the drug and let it do its job. I spoke to my doctor earlier who recommended upping my meds from 50mg to 100mg but im really scared as my side effects are already so unbearable. X
    • Posted

Yes it's true I've met a lot of happy people on AD's, just didnt realise what they had to go thru to get there. When you ask for help, you're already at rock bottom...then to have to go lower still, it's harsh. Do you have health anxiety at all? I find cos i pick up on all the changes n aches n pains, heartbeats, sickness, dizziness, i start to worry that its doing me harm or that something bads gonna happen.

• Posted

Julie i am exactly the same as you, any slight feeling and i bring on more panic, its one big circle 😭 I have felt that way since the side effects started on these tablets. I feel like they are not helping me and making me more sick like maybe im allergic? But i know its just my panic disorder making me feel this way and we have to persevere and just look forward to how better things WILL be real soon xx

• Posted

Hi Nicola, I know it's horrible but my dr did say it will get worse before it gets better so just have to hang in there even tho it's the worse! When I got sertaline a few years back it was for GAD and panic attacks and it helped and made me better unfortunately it returned with anxiety and depression I'm just hoping it'll be just as good this time. Your appetite will come back, mine has just returned the last few days. Is your dr going to up your dose? I'm happy to chat anytime xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, how long have you been taking them and what mg are you on? If you don't mind me asking. The Dr wants me to start 100mg tonight instead of the 50mg i have been on for 15days. Im really frightened it will me even worse?? Or do i take 75mg? She said it was my choice i just don't know what to do. Thank you so much for replying xxxx

• Posted

Hi Nicola, of course ask away. I've been on sertaline now for 17days. My dr wanted to start me on 50mg then increase to 100mg after a week but said I was scared to take them and if I could split the dose, which she said I could but needed to go up within a week so I did 6days on 25mg then 11days on 50mg. I'm due back to see my dr next Wednesday and I think she'll probably up my dose then but I think I'll do 75mg for a few days then up it if she does say to go to 100mg. I know it's frightening to go up but you've nothing to lose you can always lower your dose again if it's not right. Stay positive xxx

• Posted

I share your fear! Im going to do 75mg for a week and then do the 100mg after. I think we should all be comfortable with what we are taking, especially considering our illnesses x i am here whenever you need a chat Michelle ❤ xxxx
    • Posted

It is scary, it's the side effects that scares me too incase they get worse again. How are your side effects? Where you from Nicola? Yes im here too so anytime you want to chat just message me xx

• Posted

My side effects are absolutely horrendous. Its all my symptoms from my illness x20 plus insomnia and not eating. I wake at 630 already in a panic attack and i have about 5 and roll over toll late afternoon. When not mid attack my anxiety is so bad its crippling me. But all wears off by 5/6 and i feel okay until the next morning it happens all over again 😢 I live on the Isle of Wight in the UK. How about you? How are your side effects hun? Xxx

• Posted

Oh your poor thing, so sorry your going through it. It's such I horrible illness and no one understands unless your go though it yourself. How long have you been trying to deal with it? Do you have support? Pretty much the same as you Hun. My anxiety has heightened along with depression, insomnia, dry mouth, nausea, tingling, loss of appetite but that has just started to come back the last few days. I lost 1.5stone. I had terrible nightsweats too but they seem to have calmed down abit now. I live near Chester xxx

• Posted

You're so right, no one else can understand. I have my children, 14yr old boy and 20yr old daughter who have been amazing. I have my sister and parents but i prefer to not talk to them too much as they worry. I am finding talking on here so helpful i don't feel alone anymore so thank you x if i didn't have the panic attacks and anxiety i could cope so I really hope they go as the reason i am in this med is to atop that but they are so so much worse x it started on the 14th December. I had a massive panic attack out of the blue. I thought i was having a brain hemarage and a heart attack all at once. I got diagnosed 15 days ago. Im sorry to hear about your side effects, the people that don't get any are soooo lucky! Xxx

• Posted

That's good you have good family support. My mum & her husband are good and my dad. I have children too, my daughter is 10 and my son is 5 so it's hard to do every day tasks and school runs but I have too. Panic attacks are horrible, I suffered from them last time and the sertaline helped me. I do get them sometimes but it's more anxiety and lead into depression this time around. I know I'd love to not have any side effects I think they are few and far between tho. It's scary I just hope it works with going through all this. So long to wait too xxx

• Posted

Ive been through this unpteen times and each time i get scared i'll b stuck like this forever! U wont and neither will i but in the midst of re current anxiety u panic and think i'll never be me again but we will

• Posted

Thanks weenett. Do feel like I'm stuck like this and not get better. I've had a few good days but when get bad days I don't think about good days which I should really x

• Posted

Recovery comes in waves a few good days is hige progress but it is like a roller coaster up down up down
    • Posted

Your not wrong. I know it takes time. Only started a month ago really so hoping all side effects will fade more now and start to see improvements x
    • Posted

Hi Weenett, julie here! How are you getting on on 75mg? Im doing ok on it, some progress i think and not having the horrible side effects i had when i started on 50. Im on about day 24, so early days. On betablockers as well, HRT patch and 2mg diazepam once or twice a day wen i do want a break from anxiety! Have you used sertraline in the past or other ADs? If so, at what point does it get you to feeling normal? Be nice to hear from you xx
    • Posted

Hi julie! Yeah ive tried citalopram in the past for anxiety and depression caused by anxiety i dont really rate cit at all ive been on sert since sept time and i was ok on 50 mg until abt a month ago so i upped to 75mg 17 days ago im not hungry at all have the runs a bit and still have early wakening anxiety but other than that not bad
    • Posted

Hi Nicola, how you doing? You still getting on ok? How long you been on the 100mg for now? I've been on it for 10days now. Felt alittle better yesterday and this morning woke up feeling abit anxious but abit better now hopefully will be ok. I'm still very tired. Are you? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Julie, how you getting on? Hope your doing ok. I felt not bad yesterday woke up abit anxious this morning but feel alittle better now. I'm hoping to pop the shops with my mum later on xxx

• Posted

Hey Michelle, I've stopped counting the days im on them now but id say nearly two weeks x still feel really tired, i cant get up in the morning its horrible like im comatosed xx

• Posted

Yes that's how I feel in the mornings, really struggle to get up. I'm tired most of the day. I'm glad your ok tho xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, glad to hear youre feeling some improvement bit by bit. I had a really good day yesterday with no need for diazepam and got out n about, but today woke to anxiety, took diaz before meeting a friend, got loads of palpitations whilst out which increased anxiety n came home stressed n worried again. I had put a new full HRT patch on before i went out so maybe that causes the palps, last week i tried half patch in case it had side effects. I'll see what happens tomor but as my health anxiety all stems from the start of palpitations 2 yrs ago,anything that gives me more isnt useful lol. I may end up coming off HRT and sticking with ADs. Its all trial and error. I'll go up to 100 sert wednesday and see how i go on that. How did things go with your other half? I hope you are ok and getting better by the day. Xx

• Posted

Hi Weenett, Ive been on 75 about a week and been feeling less anxiety day by day apart from today when i got loads of palpitations wen out with a friend, but i think that was the new hrt patch id put on this morning. It gave me an anxious day. If it happens tomor the patch is coming off! How are you getting on? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.