Sertraline - my 8 week story

Posted , 130 users are following.

Today is my 8th week on 50mg of Sertraline and unlike a lot of people once they start to feel better, I thought I'd try and give a little encouragement to help you hang in there as it REALLY is worth it. I also struggles to find many people on this 'start up' dose for any length of time so this might help you...

So after the fourth week I felt CRAP. No improvements and just this feeling of helplessness and worthlessness. I would break down at the smallest thing and felt incredibley insecure and unsure of myself.

I kept reading these online forums of people who started feeling better between weeks 4 to 6 and wondered if it was ever going to happen for me...

It literally wasn't until the beginning of the 8th week that I started turning a corner and the anxiousness started to fade and I found myself able to concentrate on something other anylising than how I was feeling. Tasks that I used to enjoy have become worthwhile again and I can honestly say I'm 85% back to my old self.

Right, now side effects: I have been feeling very tired, had lose stools until recently and my sex drive has tailed off somewhat and am having some difficulty orgasming although sex is good but just less often. I also seem hungry ALL the time but I'm fairly active so no weight gain...YET!

So to sum up, this drug takes AGES to work and you'll dispair and find yourself reading all sorts of forums and chats as to the timescales involved, but in my opinion it really is worth continuing for up to 8/9 weeks before increasing the dose or looking for alternative mediction.

I hope you start to feel the benefits soon and I'm happy to chat with anyone with any questions...

Take care,

Rich.

26 likes, 273 replies

273 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hello Rich

Thank you for your message and how your getting on. Im now on week 3 on 100mg. It has started to work slowly as im not emotionally tearful now. I feel nausea when i take them and the first couple of weeks ive managed to catch up on sleep but this week still finding it hard to fall asleep eventhou im yawning and feel reallt tired, when i do eventually fall aslleep around midnite i then only sleep for 4hrs then wide awake and feel exhausted for the rest of the day. Have tried napping during day but im wide awake lol. Food i can take it or leave it as i smoke and that takes the hunger away. I only drink during weekend and not to get drunk to put me in a happt place as that hasnr helped with my anziety and depression.. im still not able to.live life and find it hard to motivate myself to do things i just want to curl up on the sofa watching telly nothing else interests me. Ive yet to book up to see a counsellor and i dont know wot to say either as i dont honestlt know why im low as im not analysing anything. Ive stopped putting myself down at the moment as tbese tabs seem to just relax me. Im gonna carry on with them got docs on thurs. I have camping with my hubby and daughtee for 2wks next week and im not really excited about it. Im going to do my best to not let them down and put a smile on my face and enjoy it.

• Edited

Hi Cheryl,

I know that feeling of wanting to just sit and watch TV all day! I used to come home from work during the day and just sit staring blankly at the telly not really watching but having my mind taken off the anxiety for a few seconds at a time.

Everyone used to say to me to keep busy and throw yourself into something, however this never worked for me and even having my kids for an afternoon made me anxious whereas before I'd have loved it.

All I can say is grin and bear it. Every day you get through is another day closer to the relief you crave.

Rich.

• Posted

hello. how are you feeling now? im on week 8 of zoloft and feel better but tired. sometimes i feel like im just going through the motions. does it get any better!?

• Posted

Hi there, I was wondering how your getting on in your journey. I am Week 8 of 50mg setraline and can really relate to your question here. Any advice or experience greatly received many thanks

• Posted

hi hope you dont mind me jumping in,i just want some advice, i was put on fluoxetine for 3-4 weeks but didnt see no effects at all,so changed me over to steraline, im on day 6 now and today ive been so ill but i dont get how yesterday i felt so well like i was back to myself,i dont get how one day i can feel a improvemnt and the next feel so ill again can anyone help

• Edited

Thanks for the great post!

I was on sertaline for a long time, but quit 5 years ago. I thought I didn't need it anymore, and was tired of feeling emotionless. I was never happy, nor sad, just there. I made the bad decision to quit cold turkey, which was not only stupid, but absolutely horrendous.

I'm considering going back on the medication, but I'm scared due to all the side effects people talk about. I have horrible anxiety, and the thought of taking a med that will increase it raises my red flag. Granted, I've been on the medication in the past and it did work, I was such a mess that I don't remember having side effects. Most likely they were there, but I blamed everything on the anxiety. Now knowing what to expect, it makes my decision so much harder.

When reflecting back to when I was on it, I can see now that I never worked with the med. I simply took it, and expected it to fix everything, but now I know better. The decision is hard, but posts like this show the good side of sertaline, and push me closer to trying it again. smile

• Edited

Hi Psyched Out,

To be honest I never got most of the side effects (feeling sick, headaches, dizziness) but I did get noticeably increased anxiety to the point where I forgot how bad or good I was beforehand.

I'm certainly not numb now by any means. I had the kids today and we had great fun and I'm much less pre occupied and more in the moment which for me stops me worrying about the future so much.

You will succeed but it just may take 4 to 6 weeks. My advice to anyone is do not increase your dose until at least 8 weeks.

Rich.

• Posted

thanks = Richard

. Im 5wks on 50mg Sertraline. Feeling crap still. praying for 8 weeks.

Frightening thoughts should I return to Dr.

• Edited

Dear Chris,

I am so sorry to bother you, i see your post was posted 2 years ago. I would just like to know how you are doing with the Zoloft & if things gotten better after 8 weeks. I've been on 25mg 2 weeks & now on 50mg for 3 weeks & i am still very anxious. It feels as if i am losing hope, should i still guts it out for a few more weeks?

• Edited

Nadine,

I went on Zoloft 25mg and then up to 50 , then 75 . I felt horrible for the first few weeks, then around week 5/6 I woke up feeling nauseas and shaky then around 4 or 5 at night i would start to feel much better only to start crappy again next morning .

But I will say around week 8/9 i started feeling better and better every day. I'm not 100 percent yet but much more functional mow and back to my regular routine.

Hang in there it does take time but you will start to feel better, just concentrate on the positives and try and keep yourself busy and active .

Any other questions just let me know.

• Edited

Hello Nadine

Iv just spent 20 minutes doing a long write up to you and it disappeared off my screen.

so Im going to make this short, yes Im feeling lot better, no suicidal thoughts, no repetive thoughts,

not anxious or panic etc. The 75mg Venlafaxine took month or 2 to work. Occasionally bit anxious but find something to occupy yr mind. Don't cope with disruptions upsets, so walk away.

I paid for psychotherapy / Hypnoses , meditation. there are some free online.

I had really bad side effects on Sert.

side effects for me were mild on Ven , after about 6 weeks I felt something lift in my head and a thought pop in - what a lovely day.

wish you all the best ,

From Chris

• Posted

hi im so what the same im having one good day one bad day constanly been on 2different antidepressent now just wonderijg why i keep having real bad days then the next day not so bad

• Edited

Hi Rich. Just want to say thank you so much for taking the time to write this, I'm currently at the 5 week stage and have been worrying a little that this might be the full effect as I am also on 50mg and am hoping to not have to increase anymore. It has somewhat helped my anxiety but it is still there so this has really helped me to stay positive. Thank you and I hope you feel 100% soon.

• Edited

You're very welcome Kate.

At the 4/5 week stage I still felt hoirrible. In fact if anything I actually felt worse.

I understand that everyone's different, however for me at the 8 week stage it was like flicking a switch - no gradual increase in mood for me!

You will succeed and just think how you'll feel next week, and the week after, and the week after...

Rich.

• Posted

Hi Rich.

That has been the same for me. I felt slightly better at week 3 for a few days but week 4 and 5 I have been very anxious every day and a little tearful again. I'm coming up to 6 weeks in a few days and hoping that things start to improve for me.

• Posted

Hi Kate,

They definitely will. The fact that you're having these ups and downs shows that the Sertraline is doing something. It needs time to level out in your brain before your body accepts it.

Keep me up to date with how you're getting on,

Rich.

• Posted

Great thanks Rich I will definitely keep you updated. Can I just ask, how bad was your anxiety? I'm going away in a couple of weeks for 2 weeks and am very anxious about it so hoping I feel even a little better by then!

• Edited

Hi Kate,

It was BAD. Not quite not able to leave the house bad but it was affecting work, kids, girlfriend etc. I was able to function but was a shell of myself going through the motions. I have very little physical issues but craved the end of the day when I would get some relief by sleeping (until 5am).

Rich.

• Posted

Mine isn't unable to leave the house but I do struggle on my own and tend to spend the day at home. I'm glad you're feeling so much better then and hope to feel the same as you soon smile

• Edited

Heading towards the end of week 6 and still not turned that corner of relief yet. Seeing my doctor before the 8 weeks are up. Like you Richard I crave the end of the day when I can be in bed and shut my eyes and mind.

• Posted

Hey Maria, I just wanted to ask how has it been since your post? how was your experience past the 5th week?

today I took my dose (50 mg sertraline) and have been quite overwhelmed with the negative stories online and with my emotional teardown. I really hope this gloom and doom cloud lifts....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.