Sertraline - my 8 week story

Posted , 130 users are following.

Today is my 8th week on 50mg of Sertraline and unlike a lot of people once they start to feel better, I thought I'd try and give a little encouragement to help you hang in there as it REALLY is worth it. I also struggles to find many people on this 'start up' dose for any length of time so this might help you...

So after the fourth week I felt CRAP. No improvements and just this feeling of helplessness and worthlessness. I would break down at the smallest thing and felt incredibley insecure and unsure of myself.

I kept reading these online forums of people who started feeling better between weeks 4 to 6 and wondered if it was ever going to happen for me...

It literally wasn't until the beginning of the 8th week that I started turning a corner and the anxiousness started to fade and I found myself able to concentrate on something other anylising than how I was feeling. Tasks that I used to enjoy have become worthwhile again and I can honestly say I'm 85% back to my old self.

Right, now side effects: I have been feeling very tired, had lose stools until recently and my sex drive has tailed off somewhat and am having some difficulty orgasming although sex is good but just less often. I also seem hungry ALL the time but I'm fairly active so no weight gain...YET!

So to sum up, this drug takes AGES to work and you'll dispair and find yourself reading all sorts of forums and chats as to the timescales involved, but in my opinion it really is worth continuing for up to 8/9 weeks before increasing the dose or looking for alternative mediction.

I hope you start to feel the benefits soon and I'm happy to chat with anyone with any questions...

Take care,

Rich.

26 likes, 273 replies

273 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you so much Rich!  This post has given my hope and allowed me to remain optimistic about my future.  I am on week 8 of 50mg/day and am starting to feel much better then what I was in week 4,5, & 6.  My side effects are similar with the excessive tiredness & a lowered sex drive, and I am hungry all the time too!  Quick personal question for you if you don't mind me asking.  Have you had any trouble getting & keeping an erection at all during sex or mainly some difficulty orgasming? Thanks again Rich!  

• Posted

Hi Badgers,

Glad that there's plenty of people on here sticking to the theraputic 50mg does. In my opinion people and GPs are too quick to up the doseage without understanding the long term nature of this drug.

With regards the erection - no issues in that department whatsoever and the orgasm does happen - just takes twice as long. No issues if you're a sexual athlete!

Rich.

• Edited

Well said Richard. It has only just started to work fully for me in the last couple of days and I am in week 9.  Have has some terrible dark thoughts and so lethargic, also was sleeping around 12 hours a day. Now, over the last two days, nearly back to my old self, so very, very relieved. It is a real struggle to get through the bad period, but remember thoughts are just thoughts, they are not you. They will pass. Also any anxiety will eventually pass, just try to 'accept' it rather than fight it, eventually it disipates. All emotions, good or bad, eventially pass. It is difficult, but hold on in there, you WILL feel better, it just takes time.

If sertraline is not helping you by week 12, go back to your Doctor.

Depression/anxiety feels like hell on earth, but it WILL get better. Many people have been where you are now, and have fully recovered. I hope this helps someone. All the best to you all x 

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I envy your 12 hours a day I must say! I think my sleep is starting to level out a bit now and when I do wake at 0500 as I do most days, I find it easier to get back to sleep.

You're right - they ARE just thoughts, however when they're as powerful and dark as those associated with depression and anxiety it's hard to rationalise. Indeed if we were able to rationalise then I guess we wouldn't be depressed in the first place.

Again, pleased there's someone else who's stuck to the 50mg/day.

SO pleased you're feeling better Sarah and hope you continue to improve.

Rich.

• Posted

Thanks Rich. You are doing a great job on here, your posts are full of sense and encouragement. Hope you are feeling 100% soon. Best wishes,

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I was curious, did the sleepiness and lethargy also lift/go away for you at the 9 week mark? I just passed week 4 moving into week 5 of 50mg. All other side effects have passed, except the sleepiness/lethargy and I am hoping this fade as well. Thank you!

• Posted

I'm on my 9th day today and at least for the past few days I've been wondering if I need to carry on taking my pill as it just seems like I'm taking and nothings happening now.

No side effects or anything now. Not like on my third day when the side effects were bad.

I started thinking that I should take two pills. But after reading this I best not aye. I'll stick it out and see how it goes.

• Posted

Hi Tinkle,

Yes - day 9 is still VERY early days. To start with (day 1 & 2) I felt good but that was just a placebo effect.

Taking 2 pills at this stage will just prolong the negative side effects - it won't make you feel any better as the drug needs time rather than MGs to work. My advice - give it at least 8 weeks at 50mg to start to feel the effects. And be prepared to feel worse before you improve. That way you can associate the negative feelings/thoughts with the Sertraline rather than your anxiety.

Let me know how you're getting on,

Rich.

• Posted

OMG I'm only on day 7 & have only just gotten outta bed yesterday only because I had to as my partner went back to work day 1& 2 were fine but day 3 my god this headache come on & got worse, by day 5 I was sweating nausea no energy diarreaha been to Drs thismorning they want me to stop taking it but for y to try something different & go through all this again I think I'm gonna hang in there

• Edited

Hi Rich

I was so happy to read your post today and hear your doing so well. All I've been doing of late is obsessing over these forums for success stories! I'm up to about week 4 and find I'm feeling so helpless that I'll ever stop thinking about weather I'm going to feel better or not. It literally consumes my thoughts all day. I can relate when you say you can't even loose yourself in a TV programme. My eyes are looking at the TV but my mind is elsewhere.

Your post has given me hope though. Thank you.

Larissa from OZ smile

• Edited

Hi Larissa,

I understand your pain entirely. I used to be on here (and elsewhere aswell) searching for answers and reassurance. I would feel tearful and emotional for absolutely no reason and was totally going through the motions and not living at all.

All I can say is that this WILL come good for you. From what I can gather, people have more or less side effects but the side effects of feeling low and anxious are GOOD signs that the drug is affecting your brain so it just needs a little time to adjust.

Once you feel better and start to function in this world again rather than just existing, it's amazing how you quickly you forget how you were.

Keep me posted and hopefully you won't have to wait the full 8 weeks.

Rich.

• Posted

Thanks Rich,

The fact that you are taking the time to still reply to others on here to help on their journey is amazing. I hope that's me soon!!

Larissa

• Edited

It will.

Just have faith and if possible (and I know it's hard) try and not focus too much on the drug. Just keep taking it (mornings work best for me) and tell yourself that every time you do you're getting slightly better. And when you have a low moment, it's your body expelling/purging the negativity.

Take care,

Rich.

• Posted

Hello, Richard 30560

Thank-You for the encouraging story.

It gives hope that maybe in 2 weeks I'll be 100% me again. I have been on sertaline 75mg for 6 weeks yesterday. I can say I'm 75% better. My nurse practitioner wanted too up my med again to 100 mg but, I told her that I wanted too give the med. couple more weeks too see if I improve more. I don't really want too deal with the side effects again from upping my dose. I'm glad that you are doing good,

• Posted

Hi Teria,

75mg is an interesting dose. Do you find issues with eating, sleeping etc?

The reason I say this is because this weekend wasn't so good for me so was wondering on a 25mg increase...

Rich.

• Posted

Hi again Richard,

Sorry to hear your weekend wasn't so good, neither was mine, but much better today. I would give it another couple of weeks before upping dose, some people just take longer to settle. It is also worth looking at who makes your sertraline, some generics appear to be less effective than others, for some people. The sertraline by Aurobindo doesn't suit me (and lots of others if you search the net) but we are all different, and one generic may suit, another one may not. The make of sertraline is often chaned by chemist (mine, anyway), it pays to note which ones you are ok with. There are some threads on here about this.

Good luck, and whatever you decide, hope you are 100% very soon.

All the best,

Sarah.

• Posted

Hello Richard,

My eating is alot better and my sleep is ok.

I take my med. @ night. I hope you are feeling better,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.