SERTRALINE - start up effects

Posted , 11 users are following.

Day 7 and feeling very nauseaus , no appetite, anxiety and I would like to give this med a fair shot as there are some good stories out there.  I am on 25 mg the lowest dose as I am very sensitive to antidepressants.  Anyone can give me any positive thoughts to hang in there?  is this a normal start up?  thanks!

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Connie.

iv been on 25mg for 8 months for Anxiety it did take me quiet a few weeks for it to settle in my system, I’m sensitive to meds, had all the side effects going, at one point I was ready to throw them away. But I carried on and after a few weeks the side effects go less and less, I did lose weight but it’s back on again,

i fell 100% better than I did at the beginning of the year. 

Stick at it, but don’t up your dose because you think that the Anxiety isn’t getting any better, give it chance to work, you maybe like me only need 25mg.

Others have said on here that every time they up the dose the side effects come back.

hope this helps 

good luck 

• Posted

what were your side effects? I cant eat I'm so nauseaus.  and it's hard to understand why a med for anxiety actually causes anxiety in the beginning.  thanks!

• Posted

I felt nauseous, dizzy spells, tingling fingers, tinnitus, blurred vision. Tummy upsets, my hair falling out, skin rash, face flushing. Brain fog, Think that’s it. 

I kept a diary so I could see from day to day if I was getting better.

i take mine in the evening which suits me.

it does get better with time 

• Posted

Hello Connie I have been on mine for 3day and today I gagged too. I'm off food atm to. I have a dry mouth as well.. Then later in the day I experienced another side effect burning sensation on my shoulders and felt like I had to hot water bottles on my shoulders not nice feeling... I called my gp and she said it's a side effect and for me to hold in there. I was taking Mirtazapine 45mg before and that didn't work for me. But before these I was on prozac for 13yrs and stopped working for me. But didn't have any side effects with these. I hope your symptoms will settle and mine to .

• Posted

Hi Julie...I was wondering did your anxiety get worse before it got better?? I am on 25mg for panic attacks, however day 5 I have very bad anxiety now. Thank you x
  • Posted

Name a side effect and I probably had it! I was terrible the first two weeks, and to say I struggled was an understatement. I think it was by day 4 I wanted to quit. I kept a journal of all my side effects and found that it helped me see the progression I was having. I was totally ready to give up on it because I couldn't handle it. Then one day, about 15-16 days in all the side effects just stopped. All I can say is stick with it, as hard as it is, because it does get better. 

• Posted

Thanks , that is reassuring.  I am feeling a teeny teeny teeny bit better today , it is day 8.  I am going to try and eat before I take my dose. thank goodness for klonopin when needed! smile  
    • Posted

Hi emma ... i been burning feeling like I got hot compresses on my shoulders they to come and go. Have you had same experience please. Ty clem clem
    • Posted

Hey Clem Clem,

I had the same experience about 9 years ago due to anxiety.  The only way I could describe it was that it felt like someone had poured gasoline down my back and then lit a match.  Once I got on Zoloft,  that feeling went away after 2-3 weeks.  Hopefully it will do the same for you.  Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Connie,

I'm also on 25mg and have been for a year or two now. The first couple of weeks were hell on earth - every side effect under the sun must have hit me. Nausea, lack of appetite, light/fuzzy headedness, nightmares, night sweats - the works! The good news - after the first two weeks were up my side effects died down completely (apart from the nightmares I think they stayed for a month or two) and they haven't reared their heads since.

It's definitely worth giving a chance, stick with it and hopefully you come out the other side in no time cheesygrin I know it's made the world of difference for me and there were so many times during the initial side effects I almost stopped!

• Posted

Thank you!!  today is day 8 and feeling teeny teeny bit better - not knowing how I am going to feel tomorrow.  it is different every day.  having anxiety and depression I was used to feeling bad every day. that is why my doctor talk me in to trying the zoloft.  it was either crash and burn or try the med.  I am praying for the best!  smile THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT!
    • Posted

It only gets better every day! Stick with it cheesygrin I hope you feel better soon!
    • Posted

I will. 25 mg is a small dose - that is what I am on too .  you think 25 mg has helped you enough?  did DR try and up your dose?
    • Posted

I was originally on 50mg but the doc brought this down as I said I wanted to stop. I managed to stop and was off sertraline for a year but came back and was reintroduced on 25mg - It has helped a lot and I have personally been fine on 25mg smile Maybe 50mg was too high hence the reason I felt happy to come off!

I do now feel a bit stuck between doses however, I would like to not have to rely on Sertraline but then I do occasionally have really bad days and have discussed upping dosage with my DR. 

• Posted

I don't think so - it depends what you want from it. I'm really happy on 25mg but still have ups and downs, I think 50mg numbed me a lot more which wasn't what I wanted! I feel I still have some emotions on 25mg if that makes sense - I don't think I cried the entire time I was on 50mg

• Posted

LOL I cry every day and don't know even why!!  smile thank you for your information! I hope to do good on 25mg 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.