SERTRALINE - start up effects

Posted , 11 users are following.

Day 7 and feeling very nauseaus , no appetite, anxiety and I would like to give this med a fair shot as there are some good stories out there.  I am on 25 mg the lowest dose as I am very sensitive to antidepressants.  Anyone can give me any positive thoughts to hang in there?  is this a normal start up?  thanks!

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Connie smile

Just wanted to check and see if things have been getting better since it has been a few days.  I am in the same boat,  trying to ride out the waves.  I think things are getting slightly easier for me,  but the mornings are still really rough.  Hoping you are doing better as it gives the rest of us all hope.

• Posted

Hi! This is day 13 and I count each day hoping for being better. Still nauseous and have lost 6 lbs. I have no appetite. Still anxiety and spaced out, taking klonopin If needed. I wake in the night hot. Mornings are bad. Keep in touch. Where are you on your sertraline experiment? Mg? How many days? Any symptoms? thanks for checking with me.
    • Posted

Today will officially be day 11 for me when I take my dose in a couple of hours (150mg).  I have had a long history with Zoloft.  I first started 10 years ago after I had my second child and was having panic attacks every 15 min of everyday.  I was really scared to start taking a AD,  mainly because anxiety can do that to a person.  But after I had my first child it took me 18 mos to get better without medication and I was not about to do that to myself.  I don't remember my side effects being this fierce back then,  but I also don't remember very much.  I do however remember that the first 2-3 weeks were beastly, after week 3 I was feeling more like myself,  and within 6-8 weeks I was feeling like a new woman! (I had started on 25mg and moved up to 50mg)

Then after having my third child I was prepared (or so I thought) so I stayed on my zoloft throughout my pregnancy,  but within 2 days the postpartum anxiety kicked in with a vengence. It's a very long story for that whole situation (hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life),  but eventually my doctor worked me up to 150mg, which worked for me.  That took about 4 mos before it took full effect,  but I think that is mainly because we had to play around with the dosage so much.

It's been about 3 years where I have felt absolutely amazing.  Nothing bothered me.  I was on top of the world and even starting my own business. But the Zoloft had made me very sensitive to the sun when I upped to 150mg,  so I thought I would try and move myself down to 100mg to see if it would help.  It did and things were still going pretty great for a few months,  but then I had a LOT of stressful things happen in my life which kicked started all of the panic attacks again.  I immediately went to my doctor and had my dose increased back up and he gave me a prescription for Xanax (I took Klonopin after my 3rd child which worked great for me then,  but I wanted something that worked faster).  I really hate having to take the Xanax,  but I take it at night to help me to sleep.  

My symptoms so far are dry mouth (like I seriously cannot get enough water), exhaustion (and yet some how I feel like I have had 18 cups of coffee),  really bad anxiety (which is SO much worse in the mornings), some panic attacks (although those have lessened over the past couple of days),  no appetite (which I am supplementing with those horrible protein shakes),  stomach pains that have me running to the bathroom, night sweats, fuzzy head, and REALLY vivid dreams,  like I woke up this morning and couldn't figure out if I was awake or still sleeping.  Oh!  I also wake up between 1:30am-3:30am every morning and try to lay around until I absolutely have to get up (which I know isn't helping, but I'm just SO tired!)

I seem to be doing better in the evenings,  last night I was able to eat 3/4 of a bologna sandwich! Woo hoo! I am trying to keep myself busy to keep my mind off of things,  but that can be difficult especially in the mornings.  I will pace the house trying to release some anxious energy.  It will feel like at least 30 min has past,  I will look at the clock and it has only been 3! 

You would think after as many times that I have gone through this step of starting Zoloft that this would be easy for me, BUT IT IS NOT!  I feel like I am losing my mind!  Luckily my 3 year old thinks its funny to watch Mommy pacing the house and yelling at her anxiety.

Sorry for the long post.  Would love to hear your story smile

• Posted

Oh gosh I just bought the protein shakes. I'm only on 25 mg and like you nights are better. I work full time and that is hard because I also have anxiety while driving. I was a normal person until my dad passed over 2 years ago. Then started panic attacks and anxiety and then bad depression because I couldn't get a grip on life. Started on every AD imaginable and could not tolorate. I was on and off mirtizapine for 2 years which helped a little but would always get sick and stop. Two weeks ago I was mirtizapine withdrawal and started Zoloft because I was feeling so sick. So I am scared of meds, and mixing meds and just want to feel normal like before my dad passed away. I have children and want to be that supermom again. I feel so worthless and guilty so I am hoping for a positive result with Zoloft. Waiting...

• Posted

How are you feeling today?  This morning was rough as usual.  Dealing with the shaking and the anxiety right.  Just trying to keep my head up even though it can be difficult.  I hope you are having a better day.  Better days are soon to come...
    • Posted

feeling nauseaus as usual.  I take this pill about 12 noon and the nauseau hits soon after and lasts until night.  nighttime is ok.  sleep is short .  ugh I really want this to work sad so frustrated.  I shake as soon as I open my eyes in the night.  anxiety is not fun.  you are 2 days behind me.  let me know how are you doing.  do you think the sertraline makes you tired?
    • Posted

Connie I was on prozac40mg for 13yrs and they stopped working had no side effects with them. But Dr move me on to Mirtazapine45mg and they didn't do anything for me so 4day ago I was then put on Sertraline I'm hoping they will work. So hoping by end of next week I will see a difference. I know all ppl are different but when did you feel they were working. I've also booked my self in for cancelling and that's not til 31st Oct 2017 I feel it's going to take a while until I feel my self again. I'm off work out moment cause I couldn't even work I just want to be well.

• Posted

how are you doing Ashley?  I am on day 22.  still feeling anxiety, nauseous has decreased quite a bit.  still waiting... keeping busy and trying to keep the anxiety at bay with klonopin.  
    • Posted

Hey Connie.  Thanks for checking on me.  I am on day 19 and still trying to force myself to eat.  It’s getting better than it use to be,  but still waiting for my anxiety monster to go away.  Trying to keep myself busy as well,  but it’s been difficult since doing anything still makes me anxious.  My husband said things are getting better,  so I am trying to take his word for it and hang in there.  We can get through this.
    • Posted

Not so good to day can't shake off this low mood. After tonight's dose I'm dropping down to 15mg it's not my idea it the GP'S. Not looking forward to it. How are you Connie.

• Posted

your dropping to 15mg mirtazapine or 15mg sertraline?  I am not great but the nauseau is a little better, I still have alot of anxiety - burning chest which I hate so much.  jittery but trying to remain calm.  I have been on 25 mg sertraline for 22 days.  I am giving it a good shot I go back to my psych dr on 01 NOV.  
    • Posted

my body shakes from the moment I open my eyes.  chest area shakes inside.  especially if it is 5am and I cannot go back to sleep and my mind goes crazy thinking about everything.  get up and dry heave and try and pull my self together and go to work ---  mornings are pretty challenging.   im hoping for the best I go back to my doctor on 01 nov but I am going to continue to take the meds at 25mg until I speak to her and see what she recommends. 
    • Posted

Mirtazapine. I'm having no side effect as yet but my depression is so bad atm. 1 wk till I see the doc. My thoughts today are really bad I could curl up and die but I look at my children and hubster and they mean the world. Hoping Tomo will be good one. I've got to be positive and try not think to much and take the day as it comes. Sounds silly but I've planned to look after my self tomo bath and pamper my self which I haven't done in a while. (I have quick showers) but going for the whole hog. I'm hoping .

• Posted

I am sorry you are suffering right now.  I have been there as well.  It doesn't sound silly at all!  When I was going through severe depression,  my husband would have to physically undress me and put me in the shower at times. It was hard to do anything feeling that low,  but taking a shower and changing your clothes can make you feel so much better.  Another thing that was also helpful was stepping outside for some air.  I know sometimes feeling that low can make it hard anything else,  sometimes having the cold air blow on my face would help.  Even if just for a second.  Hang in there,  and I hope your doc can help you get on the right meds and dose.  Remember you are not your illness.  <3

• Posted

I'm glad you are seeing a psychiatrist.  I used to have one,  but moved out of state and am just seeing a GP right now.  I feel like a psych knows more about mental illness and will be better about not increasing the dose unless you need to.  My GP wants me to come in,  but I am not going to until I have given this dose a fair shot.  Worried he will try and increase my dose if he saw how I was doing right now, lol.

• Posted

last night I felt good.  today not so good.  I just took day #22 @ 25mg.  I am at work and it is always difficult during the day.  how are you doing today?
    • Posted

hope you are having a good day and I hope your doctor appointment goes well.  I was on Mirtazapine for a year on and off - when it worked it was great but I was finding as soon as I hit about 12 weeks it would stop working and then I would have a hard time adjusting doses and then I would stop and hit the withdrawals and start the whole process again and again.  Let me know, thanks!
    • Posted

Hey Connie,  last night was somewhat okay but the sleep was horrible.  The anxiety is a little less today,  but I don’t have any desire to do anything but sleep and maybe cry a little.  I know that interest in doing things can be one of the last things to improve,  so I am hopeful that is all this is.  I didn’t wake up shaking as much this morning,  so I guess that is an improvement.    Sorry you are having a hard day.  I know how that goes.  It will get better.  Thanks again for checking on me. X
    • Posted

no problem , do keep me informed on your progress.  for the last 2 nights I have been sleeping with my 11 year old. I am so tired at night like 9pm I get exhausted but thenwake at 5AM on the dot then I'm looking for my own room to lay until the alarm at 7.  smile   keep positive. this will pass. 

• Posted

Hi Clem Clem are you feeling better lately?  I hope so!!  I am doing little better I have just passed the month mark.  mornings are rough, days at work are eh, but nights are good!   Im even sleeping 7 hours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.