Sertraline to control IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve been on sertrsline before for years to control my migraines and IBS, I’m usually an anxious person and find this triggers off my IBS that results in chronic fatigue episodes that last weeks to months.  In my smartness after taking settrslibe for 3 years I started to forget to take them and just stopped. Felt fine, had loads of stress but managed pretty well, I didn’t want to be on meds for the rest of my life. 

Alas I have had to go back to go yesterday after having IBS episode of nearly 2 weeks and couldn’t shift the fatigue. 

Day 1 yesterday I felt so I’ll anyway I didn’t notice much until nighttime and had a pretty rough sleep. I kept telling myself these symptoms pass but felt very sorry for myself. So much so that I rang ooh to get appt with go for sleeping tablets. Had a cuppa and slice of toast to settle my stomach and took 2nd tablet.  I’m up showered but feeling the need for a nap.  My main goal is to get through each day until side effects stop. 

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Absolutely get through the days until side effects stop. Do what makes you feel comfortable. They will pass. My panic and anxiety us all linked to IBS. My meds are working much better now... 7 weeks I have been on them but I'm looking forward to somecounseeling and learning relaxation techniques to help. Stay in touch and like I said do what makes you feel safe and comfortable while you ride this period of time out. It will get better!

• Posted

dr Gave me zopiclone3.75 but I’m worried I’m going to make myself worse.  All this second guessing is so driving me crazy. I’m usually very confident. Question is do I attempt to sleep tonight or take zopiclone ??? 
  • Posted

Day 3 just. Following on from yesterday,  I really just tried to chill, and take the odd nap but when I napped I would wake feeling vile, so tired.  It was hard between the nausea and waves of lathergy and than anxiety episodes. But I kept telling myself it’s the side effect just role with it. I found myself walking around the house with no aim at all.  How can your body be so tired but your head so wired. I’ve started ringing friends and when hubby goes out just going for the ride. Knowing full well I do t have the energy to go into the shops but the fresh air and st least I can tell myself I did something. 

For the first time in years I die t time with my daughter helping her getting sorted for bed doing her nails. But little things that kept me active. And I realised why I’m in this place now. I work full time, hold down 2 jobs support family and the only time I have down time is when I collapse into bed ready to start allahsin the day after.  I hate that I’m hoing through this but I have realised. There’s only 1 of me. 

Family said to me the only time I’m nice to them is when I’m lll.  I’m usually do independent and just get on with things but I’m missing out on life on the kids growing on family time. 

So anyway I hadn’t planned on taking zopliclone but as I settled into bed bile and acid rose in my throat and I thought, I’d this side effects or is this my IBS. No I had a packet of mini cheddars to dry up the acid and took the tablet. 

Slowly felt myself switching off and fell to sleep.  I still woke at 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 to vomit but I just went back to bed. Woke up this morning and hubby bought me toast and s cuppa at 6:30 and took tablet number 3.  I’m s little zonked. But my plan today is to Potter, change the bed linen, put tv on in the back ground so I’m not constantly clock watching.  

I don’t know why I’m writing this but ready all the other messages on here it’s all about how I’ll e erupted feels and I need something  that is hopeful with tactics and self help plans to get through this. 

• Posted

Hi. I hope your day has been a bit easier for you. I like you out myself at the bottom of a pile of priorities and then you just brake. I think emotionally physically and spiritually you areexhausted. When I'm at my worst like you I feel like my brain is wired and I just walk around doing nothing but can't sit still. I'm almost afraid to fall asleep. I hope things get better for you. Writing it on this forum I think helps . X

• Posted

Day 3 as been an ok day, def not normal, by any means but I’ve fociswd on the positives, I was able to change the bed linen,  kept all my food down despite the feeling and took small walk this afternoon. The symptoms are still there but I have continuously distracted myself, from colouring in the kids colouring books, to tidying the dresser draws. Stupid stuff but is such a massive thing considering.  Tonight I’m not taking a sleeping tablet as I think I can manage through tonight knowing I will sleep tomorrow if needed. Or you never know I may just sleep. 

The main thing that has helped is def writing this. The main obstacle in my way when I took the first tablet was reading everyone on week 2 and so on and I was still on the day 1.  

No matter what tomorrow is going to bring, I can get through it because I can remember today. And I got through yesterday so I can get through the other bad days too. 

Focus on the small things that’s what is getting me through.  Bring on day 4 Cos I’m ready for you x

• Posted

Well done. That's a great mindset. When I had a brief chat with a counsellor over the phone she said to write everything bad down. Then look back and say what was the worst that did or could of happened. Then realise you got through it. She asked me what us the worst thing about anxiety and I said the way I tingle in my arms and legs. She said and what's so bad about that???? I said I don't like how it feels and I'm not in control of my body. Again she said and what's the worst thing that could happen with that??? The meds will help us and hopefully get us back on an even keel. Then I think it's learning how to live and cope with our anxiety panic depression whatever it is. I found I like watching tv shows I never liked before. I like a routine and I try to stick to it. I am also learning to not beat myself up if I have a bad day and back out of something or can't do something. It's all about Having better times than bad times. Living hour by hour and doing what makes you feel comfortable. I hope you rest well tonight!!

• Posted

Didn’t sleep too bad last night def had at least a few hours sleep but I turned the clock away so I couldn’t see the time. Had trouble settling down as my body was exhausted and my mind too but my mind kept ticking and ticking. So I lay on my back and start with clutching my toes till they hurt and released them, enjoying the feeling of the relax. Than my calf’s, knees, thighs, hands, arms etc you get the drift, all the time thinking of the good things I had done that day, and told myself if I don’t sleep I do t sleep but just relax and have a doze. And I dozed on and off all night.  Still woke with reflux and had toast and tea and 4th tablet.

Day 4 

Today has been a different kind of day. Starting to get energy back, so having energy and no inclination of what to do with it and not being anywhere near well enough to use it. So went for a walk, watch tv, potted around the house. Just found it harder today to relax but still getting through it. 

As napping makes me feel ill, I’ve just sat and relaxed and dozed and found that has helped a lot. 

Going to try another night with no sleeping tablet tonight. Might even pop in to see friends for a cuppa and get some disctraction. It’s taking me hours to talk myself into doing stuff but can def see improvements each day.  Today is the first day I haven’t been clock watching. 

So def improvements 

• Posted

Hi. That's great. I'm glad you have had a better day. Getting more sleep will be a massive help for you. I'm glad you are able to eat. It's baby steps from now on. Every day in hope will get better for you. We all have a long road to feeling better when we start off but each day us a victory. You will get there. Sweet dreams.....fingers crossed xx

• Posted

Day 5 on sertraline and the majority of the side effects are settling.

Slept last night woke up this morning and thought, need to get some structure.  So up dressed and ready.  Still not 100% but I can manage the other symptoms as they are similar to IBS.  

Now going to plan on slowly building myself back up.

Thank you everyone for your support. 

• Posted

So glad to hear things Are improving. Onwards and upwards. Sounds like you are feelibgmentally stronger. So happy for you
  • Posted

Day 5 (yesterday) stomach has def settled and small amounts of energy has returned.  Dizziness has hit though. So I focused on small things. 

Told myself not to push myself too hard and had plenty of rest. 

It makes the world of difference being able to sleep as you feel like you can deal with the day ahead.  I was a bit snappy yesterday so really trying to hold my tongue but I think that was because it took so much effort to force conversations, we will see.  

Slept well again last night and just took tablet 6.

It had t been easy and most def I haven’t had it as bad as some of the feeds on here but these meds have def helped already.  Just make sure you get something to help with the first few nights sleep. 

• Posted

Day 7 on sertraline

Feeling well in myself now, still pottering around the house and trying to push myself a little bit more each day. 

Still feel dazed and dizzy with little energy but compared to the last week. I can deal with this. 

I’m my own worst enermy as I want to be back to normal so I have to keep telling myself, it’s fine to chill  but I do think I need to start trying to do more. 

• Posted

Hi. The good thing is you are feeling better than last week. You also recognise you need to give yourself time. I was in 2 minds as to whether I should go out today. I pushed my self and it was ok. Give things a go even if if it's something small. Know that you can always come home if you feel uncomfortable. Well done

• Posted

Day 9 and now day 10 on sertraline. 

Haven’t been the best tbh.

Yesterday I felt so sick all day, with reflux that I really struggled. 

And this morning isn’t much better. And I’m feeling really sorry for myself.  Feel like I want to cry but no tears will come. 

And thinking when. Will I ever be normal again 

• Posted

Hi. Is it worth going back to your Dr to see if there is anything else that can help You??
    • Posted

Hi Joanne, thank you for your support xxx

I have appt today I think I need something for the acid and reflux if I can stop the acid and vomiting on the morning I may be able to deal with the nausea. 

I just wasn’t expecting these effects to occur now when I should be feeling better xxx

• Posted

Good luck at the Drs. I hope they can help.you out x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.