Sertraline to control IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve been on sertrsline before for years to control my migraines and IBS, I’m usually an anxious person and find this triggers off my IBS that results in chronic fatigue episodes that last weeks to months.  In my smartness after taking settrslibe for 3 years I started to forget to take them and just stopped. Felt fine, had loads of stress but managed pretty well, I didn’t want to be on meds for the rest of my life. 

Alas I have had to go back to go yesterday after having IBS episode of nearly 2 weeks and couldn’t shift the fatigue. 

Day 1 yesterday I felt so I’ll anyway I didn’t notice much until nighttime and had a pretty rough sleep. I kept telling myself these symptoms pass but felt very sorry for myself. So much so that I rang ooh to get appt with go for sleeping tablets. Had a cuppa and slice of toast to settle my stomach and took 2nd tablet.  I’m up showered but feeling the need for a nap.  My main goal is to get through each day until side effects stop. 

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Today is day 11 

Woke up at 6 with reflux so I got up had breakfast and tablet and went for a walk, walking tended to take my mind of the sickness and I was nice and relaxed after. 

Went to drs this morning and started on lansoprazol, took one this morning. And had a chilled morning, managed small amount of pasta for dinner and had a little nap.  Woke from nap feeling well.  Did some vacuuming and than felt a bit quezzy, arms went all warm and ru by feeling and than felt all panicky. Vomited started. This was about 1pm.  Didn’t really know what to do with myself.  My mind could switch off from how I’ll I was feeling and finally went for another walk at 5.  Slowly settling down now. 

Just trying to get through each day till these symptoms subside.

Has anyone else had these symptoms?? 

I’m trying to focus on the good moments rather than the bad episodes but it is hard to when your feeling anxious. 

• Posted

Hi. It's important to keep busy and to tell yourself it's temporary and will go away. You are doing all the right things. Do stuff when you can and rest when you need to. Just remember it took time for you to feel this way and it will take time for you to feel better xx

• Posted

Day 13 on sertraline. Each day it’s getting easier. I’m not saying it’s easy as it’s not but I can see a glimmer of light. 

I’m still not sleeping well and awake about 3 which I eat a cracker than dose till 6.  

Trying to stay chilled and relaxed which is easier due to the tiredness but at some point I need to pull myself around to get through the day. 

Still having episodes of agitation, nausea and extremely low energy. I’m still forcing myself out for walk after lunch as I find it’s the time between lunch and tea that is the hardest. 

I have found that I’m fixating on food and always have to have something every few hours ether it’s mini cheddars or a banana, I’ve started writing down what I’m eating just so I can prove to myself that I’m not going to starve. 

I’m also starting to think that I may need people around me to help  break up the day but everyone I know works full time. 

I’m assuming that this is all a sign that I’m getting there. But I am worried that a small blip with rock me. 

I was not expecting to feel as bad as I have done and I really don’t remember it being this as before. But my husband says he can see me improving but I’m trying to just struggle through the anxiety.  Which has shocked me as I never felt anxiety prior whihnis prob why I’m worried about food as when I each something it eases the feeling. 

Does anyone have any advise as to what I can do to help myself moving forward. 

• Posted

Hi. I found this time harder than the first too. The anxiety was worse as were the side effects. It seemed to take longer for the tablets to work. I agree having people around to talk to or distract you is a good thing. If you find you can't talk face to face then come here for a chat. It always help to rationalise things when people feel the same xx

• Posted

Thank you so much joanne, 

I really appreciate all your support.  Thank god I found this page. 

I’m def not coming off them this time, I’ll happily stay in them forever as I’m not putting myself through this again.  

Kind regards

Marie

• Posted

I agree . This page has been amazing help. I will not come off of them again. I never want to go through this. I think of it as taking meds for blood pressure or thyroid or something similar. Onwards and upwards for us all I hope xx
    • Posted

Day 21, 

I’m gettibg there, I’m trying to keep busy and have opened up to friends. I had a wobble today and felt like I was having a panic attack at the thought of going back to work on Monday. How an I go back when I’m only just functioning.  If I don’t work I don’t get paid, spoke to hubby and discussed that my health is more important and we are up with a plan. I usually love my job but I am scared that if I go back too soon I’ll end up being off for longer. So I have another weeks grace and hopefully having 4 weeks of meds in my system will be enough.  I am planning on popping in to Work next week to hopefully deal with any panic.  

I’ve come so far but scared as hell of going back to the crap place that I have been.  

I still get anxiety and numb arms and constantly questioning myself but I’m better than what I was last week. 

• Posted

Well.done for sticking at it. I think around the 4 week mark you will definitely feel better than now. Just remember every day you get through is a victory. You are fighting a battle and every day you get through is a win. It's good you have another week off work. You will feel relaxed by that and it gives you more time to feel stronger. Keep It up and good luck x

• Posted

Day 15 on sertraline. 

I didn’t post yesterday as I didn’t want to temp fate, but yesterday was a bit of a breakthrough day (day 14) was totally spaced out yesterday morning (felt stoned) but I didn’t feel sick. I was relaxed and chilled and just floated along. Def not able to drive. Still struggled with nagging thoughts and worried that I would starve which is rediculous as I was surrounded by so much food incase I was hungry that it would of been impossible. But that was the anxiety of worrying where the next meal was coming from (stupid) but thinking about it logically, as a child we lived in poverty, mom did her best and went without for us kids and even if we had no gas or electricity I actually can’t ever remember being hungry.  Mother is bypolar so had a very unusual child hood, spent time in care but mother always pushed herself to get better for us kids and I do remember a happy childhood. But that is the reason I suffer anxiety when I’m ill as I’m convinced I’m going to be the same. So I work above and beyond to be a super mom which ultimately is unrealistic. So yesterday I came to the conclusion to forgive myself, tell myself it’s fine if I don’t have a shower by 7am and not up and ready, it’s fine if the house is a little messy, it’s fine if kids miss after school club and chill at home.  

Anyway after all this after dinner which I found once I started eating I felt starving.  I started slowly to feel ok and a little normal. 

Had a good night slept well and woke up not feeling sick (wow)

So today is day 15 and a different me, curently chilling in my pj’s on bed with the dog watching tv. Kids walked themselves to school Cos they are old enough and it’s up the road. 

Literally 4 days ago I didn’t think I would get to this point and I would def recommend anyone starting sertraline take something for your stomach too to offset the acid.  I do feel that would of helped me.  I still have side effects but I do think I can get through them. 

I know there’s going to be ups and downs but do feel stronger. 

Taking each day at a time x

• Posted

Great news. The key is you are aware that it will get better but there will still be the odd bad day. One day at a time is definitely the way forward. Dealing and accepting with the here and now is all we can do
  • Posted

Day 17 today 

Still have jitters and butterfly’s in stomach for majority of the time and all that can be described as brain fog.  Which makes it really difficult to make any form of decision and trying to motivate myself through the fog.  I have read that these symptoms are normal which is reassuring as I keep telling myself that it’s just the meds but really wish I could break through this.

• Posted

They are normal and they will go. It is day 17. If It was day 47 then I would be concerned. You are trying to work through it which is great. Stick at it and stay in touch with us. I look forward to reading the post that says you have had a breakthrough!!
  • Posted

Hi Joanne,

How are you managing?? 

I’m feeling stronger in myself tbh, able to talk myself round to things.  I’m driving again which is amazing. And went to the hairdressers today too. Now I did have a full blown panic attack, for the full duration whilst I was there. But I talked myself down and came out with lush hair. Admittedly I still look like sh*te and had a wobble and had to call my mom for support as the attack was so scary and I actually felt fear.  But she helped me put eventhing back in perspective because I didn’t run, I stayed, yes I didn’t talk to anyone as I was battleing the feelings inside but I can cope with people thinking I’m miserable. And I did it. I couldn’t of done that last week or even 2 days ago. 

I’m also thinking of stopping the lansoprazol as I’m still having reflux issues so kind of thinking shall I just try without for a few days, I’m totally bloated and have spams which I’m kind of thinking can also be linked to the lans. 

My love for cups of tea had returned this afternoon, mainly Cos I needed to calm the feck down!!! 

Xx

• Posted

Well done. You are clearly getting stronger. Its good when even the slightest thing like enjoying a cup.of tea returns. I'm doing ok. Increased to 40mg. Had a blip yesterday morning but forced myself to get up and get in with things. Took the dog out went and volunteered at school and went out for dinner. Few tough times but worked through it. Glad you are doing better xx

• Posted

Well I’m trying to keep up beat but it’s hard.  Insomnia has kicked in again, and anxiety, it’s like every step forward there’s something trying to pull me back.  Yesterday was an awful day tbh and I think it was because I had so little sleep that I was up a height. And woke at 3 this morning and all my relaxation techniques wherent working. I was exhausted but can feel the panic in my stomach and it’s that that’s keeping me awake. Tried eating a cracker and opened window for fresh air.  Im going to take a sleeping tablet tonight to try and reboot me. 

I lasted yesterday till 12 and than took lans, all my good intentions out the window. 

I’m trying to stick with taking meds between 7-8 in the morning. But I’m starting week 4 and seriously getting sick of all this. 

• Posted

You Will turn a corner. Have you got a follow up appointment with your Dr to see how you are doing?? May be worth checking in with them and let them know how you are feeling.
    • Posted

Saw dr last week and he said it will be another 2 weeks till I’m feeling the max of the sertraline. 

I just don’t know if it’s nausea, anxiety, or what.  Is the feeling of nausea just making me anxious and thus making me worse?? 

As I’m mainly eating bread to dry out my stomach, I’m kind of thinking maybe all the bread is not helping.  So I’m going to try scrambled eggs instead.  I do think the meds are working because when I’m not sick or anxious I’m quite positive. And I’m still doing stuff, had shower this morning, went to asda with hubby this afternoon which I couldn’t do last week.  It’s just my stomach.  I’m a crap cook anyway so having to think of food that will settle me and still build me up is really hard.  I don’t think this is the tablets now I’m thinking clearly, this is me and how my IBS presents, wind, cramp, nausea and vomiting, very gastricy, and than trapped wind and constipation.  I’m just so worn down... and it will all start again tomorrow.  But I’ve managed to get through the worst of today. 

• Posted

I would think your IBS goes hand in hand with the anxiety. I know mine does. I remember that feeling of dread for the next day. Knowing it will all start over again. It too will pass. It's tough but sometimes forcing yourself to do something is the best way. I do know that some days that isn't possible. Take it one day at a time. Even1 hour at a time. Eating is hard when your stomach is sensitive. I know when I feel like that I stop eating. Just have what you fancy and try to drink plenty of water. Take care

• Posted

It’s been 9 years since my last IBS episode so have forgetten everything as I was I’ll and ended up on meds then too. So yesterday I was thinking maybe this isn’t just the meds and I need to sort my stomach out. 

So google is my best friend and whilst theres loads on what you can’t eat there isn’t much about what you can.  

The symptoms of gastric IBS is the same as side effects of the meds, anxiety, panic attack’s insomnia,bloating, reflux, constipation.  So i decided to eat to treat the IBS and not just struggle through the day. 

Sooo I’ve decided to eat gentle food, scrambled eggs, soup, pastas etc and try and avoid too much bread.  So I had jacket potato for tea last night and felt much better in myself.   So this morning I had scrambled eggs to settle my stomach and took meds.  And pushed myself through the icky feeling. I’ve been exhausted and had rests during the day and done little things.  Took dog for a walk but more importantly today so far I’m doing ok. Feel like I’m stupid for just assuming I could eat what I usually do when I’m well ie Diet Coke, toast, pizza and tea... all the stuff that irritates intestines.  So I’m now thinking of a meal planner and need to think of meals that will suit the whole family.  At least if I’m having a bad day I can tell myself I’m eating the right stuff.  

Any suggestions on meals would be greatly appreciated xx I’m veggi xx

• Posted

I think you are doing all the right things. They say to avoid onions and garlic. Fizzy sugary drinks and fruits with pips in. Rice is good and fish and chicken.....which doesn't help you out. Mine is aggravated by anxiety and my anxiety is aggravated by IBS. We can't win can we!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.