Sertraline Use long-term

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading forums about sertraline. I've had panic attacks all of my life and a few years ago I used sertraline for several months with a lot of success, and with councelling as well. However, I'm in a stresful job with a large family (i'm the main provider) and I feel totally inadequate when i'm stressed.

I've restarted sertraline and wondered if anyone had any concerns about long-term use : i'd rather prefer to keep on this drug permanently. Apart from headaches and tiredness in the first few weeks, the only side-effect I experienced was a big appetite.

Also, is there a website for people with panic attacks and anxiety? I feel so different from my colleagues that it makes me feel lonely that I am different. I'd like to share my feelings in this respect with people who have similar problems.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear all,

Thanks for all of your comments. I have been on sertraline for about 3 weeks now and they are starting to work - when I am concerned about something I can't feel the dreaded adrenalin rush followed by sickening panic. Instead I remain calm and my brain seems to keep level.

My family experienced very serious problems when I was younger, and I don't think i've recovered from this, whilst my brother has always managed to be very positive about every aspect of his life.

I feel destined to be on this drug for a long time, and suspect that as long as I manage my weight, diet and remove stimulants like alcohol, I'll be in a much better place - i'm not concerned about any long-term side-effects.

The comments about CBT are really interesting - I like the idea of being re-programmed. I will also read books about positive thinking. I think that when you are a worrier,you tend to forget the things you do well, and focus only on those things that go wrong.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave-A

• Posted

I spent 20 years with chronic, daily anxiety from 1970-1990. Went to therapy all those years with no relief. Even tried anti-depressants and MAOs. Finally, thankfully, some of these new seratonin drugs became available. I've now been on Zoloft for 20 years, living a happy and relaxed life. The only serious side effect has been a depressed libido. However, when I tried to shift to Welbutritin, which supposedly doesn't affect this, I had a terrible relapse, so I ran back to Zoloft.

In the past 5 years, I've started taking my 50 mg pill every other day, and more recently every 3 days, with no apparent problems in my mental state. But I'm afraid to stop the Zoloft completely or even to try a different drug, and will probably be on Zoloft forever. It's worth it! I'm in my early 60s and for the past few years have been noticing memory loss--words, names, relevant information--and wonder if it's due to the cumulative effects of the Zoloft or to post-menopausal aging. Even after 20 years, I still have dreams in which I'm anxious, and it's such a relief to wake up!

I hope my own experience is reassuring--there is a medication out there that can help!

• Posted

Have been on Sertraline for 8-9 years now with a notorious reduction of low mood and anxiety. I do not keep shouting at my son and my wife anymore. Regarding the low libido effect of sertraline, I can say I have benefited from homeopathic medicine. Ginseng Compositum (a Heel product) was recomended by my GP and has been very good. However I feel now a bit disengaged from family members and my brain goes quite slowly and forgetful. I am 48, but I am wondering if this is a side effect of sertraline 10 mg for all of these years.
    • Posted

I was put on Sertraline at age 12 because I was majorly depressed and suicidal, and continued taking it up until age 24. I have been off of it for a few months now. I had to wean myself off verrrrry slowly, because my first try resulted in too many crying spells, haha. It helped me a lot when I needed it, but it has indeed taken a toll on my libido...but seeing as how I started it so young, it is hard to say whether I would have had one or not now, had I never taken it. It's also hard to say if my substantial memory problems are a result of Sertraline or if I would have had THAT anyway. I haven't seen it listed as a side effect anywhere. Whatever the cause, I do now probably have the memory of a 70-year-old, and I am only 25. I forget things within seconds, pretty much constantly. It's a little bit scary... In case you're wondering, I believe I was taking 50mg for most of the time I was on it, but I could be wrong, because, as I said, my memory is shot. lol
    • Posted

Been on sertraline for a long time, no idea how long!! I know its a 100mgs because it's written on the box!  too have a shocking memory, I mean you could tell me your name to my face and 30 secs later unless I've repeated it over and over in my head I've forgotten it. Sex drive, yep, zero.

Sat here on this site for the first time feeling a bit stupid tbh, never done this before but my sert ran out on weds and the repeat prescription not ready till Monday!!

Woke up early before family after the wierdest dreams i've ever had. Dream included  reading my own obituary at my own funeral where I tried to explain why i comitted suicide and how it feels to suffer from crushing depression and what incidents in my life might have led me to suffering from it, and came down stairs in tears, which btw I do not do tears , ever!!

Then mooched on the web and found this site and signed up. Don't feel quite so "mental" now i've realised its not just me.

Wish i could remember my speech in the dream , it was quite lucid and ordered. I think i'm psyco analysing myself in my own dreams!

Just need a memory now to see what i said to myself.

Gods I'll be glad to get sert back, head swimming, anxious, ears a bit wierd. 

Thganks sorry for rambling

• Posted

Thats reassuring to hear you've been taking sertraline for 20 years and very little side affects. I've been taking 50mg for 13 years and its been a great help to my life also!! i'm 25 now and have suffered from anxiety attacks since before i can remember!! sertraline calmed them away down, along with counselling. But recently i've been worried about my heart. I've been getting heart pulpitations whenever i exercise or start stressing out. I've got everything checked out (cardiogram and tons of ECGs) and docs say i'm all healthy, which i find confusing as i get dizziness also the odd time with these pulpitations. I'm wondering if these are being caused by being on sertraline for so long?? just wondering if anyone else suffers from these??? would be helpful to know i'm not alone. As for the memory loss, my memory is great most of the time just the odd forgettfulness but only to be expected as we're not perfect human beings!! smile although can't imagine what i'll be like at 60! 

• Posted

Hi,

I have been on Sertraline for many years (can't remember how many) after displaying an allergic reaction to a previous medication. I had a very stressful worklife and this was my trigger for my anxiety/depression.

I have recently retired and already approached my GP with the idea of being weaned off the medication.

In the interim I have experienced a very disturbing situation - some 8 months ago I had a watery dark

coloured discharge from one of my nipples.

(I am in my late fifties, breastfed three children and attended all requested mammograms)

My GP (in April 2013) was about to send me directly to the local breast unit, but as he printed the

appropriate form it asked whether the condition had responded to topical application (cream), this

helped on a temporary basis.

Condition reoccurred so was referred to breast clinic - after samples of discharge taken and a

mammogram - I am delighted to say all is well.

However, registrar asked about my regular medication, I mentioned two tablets I take for high blood

pressure, he then asked me "Anti-depressants?"

Long term use has caused my breast discharge issue!

Is this commonly known as it has caused me and my family some months of anxiety, stress and

distress?

• Posted

Hey everyone thanks for posting all your experience it's helps I just got put on 50 mg and I am unsure to take it due the fact of the side affects I suffer from panic attacks and I want know what helps to get rid of it or make it ease off, an also what are good theropys to go do I know this is a short post wasn't sure what to say but thanks again it dose help reading other people experience and getting an idea anyway dose help

would like to know more about this product and other treatments to get thanks

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these. If users want to contact each other directly please use the message service.

• Posted

Hi Josh I stayed on 50mg for my paddocks attacks a few years back. It's not a strong dose and take around six weeks before I noticed a difference. It didn't stop my Panick attacks but they Eased off allowing me to work through things at my own pace. Good luck x
  • Posted

I have been taking Sertraline (150mg) for 11 years now and find it so unbelievably helpful. I will never be able to come off it and worry about long-term problems it may cause. But at the same time, I know that without it, I'm a raging monster!

My experiences with Sertraline are all very positive. I'd say it gave me my life back, but I've always been unhappy since childhood, so I'll say, it actually GAVE me a life.

• Posted

I have been on 50mg of Sertraline for 2 years now for anxiety and panic attacks, it works wonders and altho im only on the lowest dose it makes me feel 'normal'. I have tried to come off it a couple of times just because I didn't want to be on it forever but just cutting it down to 50mg every other day for a month brang back the panic attack and I had erratic mood swings.

Its great to see that others have been on it a lot longer than I have with no adverse affects. So will go back to GP to discuss a more long term use of it.

As for side affects, I had a couple of days of vomiting when I first started taking it which I expected anyway but after that I have felt fine, more than fine smile

• Posted

Ive been on Sertraline for the last year and a half for anxiety.. I have a stressful job that involves engaging with people a lot and without it i struggle to engage with people normally. I used to have panic attacks and eyes start watering when talking to anyone.. I really dont understand why the ffff*k this was happening. There is no reason why i should be anxious of people. When im drunk Im everyones friends and dont feel anxious. Then again alcohol does that to people and its not an option when you are working. Main side effect for me is ZEROOOO lobido... Probably a good thing coz I used to like sex A LOT and took a lot of unneccessary risks with women.. 

So clearly there is a chemical imbalance somewhere in my head.

One thing that helps is to have a clean conscience.. If you are in any situations in your personal life that cause you unnecessary stress then you need to untangle yourself from them e.g relationships used to mess me up. 

Try not to be a slave to your brains mental torture...Try train yourself to be less anxious by putting yourself in situations that make you anxious and remind yourself that you are not doing to die...Whats the worst that can happen? Be less concious of yourself..Most of all dont give a f**k about what people think about you.. Try love yourself..Be dilerous with it coz it helps...

Its easier said than done but we can only keep trying. Great to have these forums. You are not alone...

• Posted

I am on Sertralin 50 mg daily for more than 10 years and doctor gave it to me because of panic attacks. I could not breath and had shaking body with vomiting and bad sweating. Once I had panics I was thinking I am going to die. Sertralin could stopped those horrible panics however when I get stressful I feel like having panics like nowsad.

I have really bad memory and it is hard to remember many things. I want to stop this medication but I think I am kind of addicted to it. I do not know how I can do that. I am so stressful about this situation. Once I get sometimes depressed I feel nobody can understand me and feel so badly lonely and full of fear with tears.

• Posted

When I was taking only 50Mg I was the same as you are mentioning above, I asked my Doctor and he put me on 100mg it got better fast...50mg is okay to start with, and 100mg and more is better for attacks that last longer and are daily, as were mine...
    • Posted

Zoloft is good for temporary use it after quitting a year ago after 15 years I feel better than ever. It's so nice having feelings and emotion again. My memory is better as well. I do better with stress and sadness now than with the zoloft. I face the issues now. Good luck! Ps talking to people helps so much. Even strangers. Some times its easier I've found to talk to strangers. Message me, I'll listen

• Posted

How long did it take for you to feel normal once you got off of the zoloft and did you taper off?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.