Sertraline Use long-term

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading forums about sertraline. I've had panic attacks all of my life and a few years ago I used sertraline for several months with a lot of success, and with councelling as well. However, I'm in a stresful job with a large family (i'm the main provider) and I feel totally inadequate when i'm stressed.

I've restarted sertraline and wondered if anyone had any concerns about long-term use : i'd rather prefer to keep on this drug permanently. Apart from headaches and tiredness in the first few weeks, the only side-effect I experienced was a big appetite.

Also, is there a website for people with panic attacks and anxiety? I feel so different from my colleagues that it makes me feel lonely that I am different. I'd like to share my feelings in this respect with people who have similar problems.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have PTSD from a violent attack on my life 16 years ago April of 2000, and after a 7 week Drug induced coma, my PTSD was so severe I was put on Zoloft, starting with 50mg for a month then all the way up to 150mg, I have since been moved to 100mg. a day. When I don't get my dose at the regular time, I do get a headache, being that I have been on it now for 16 years, I don't want to go a day without it. With that said, I have a child, not a planned one as he was with me, when I awoke from my drug induced coma, and I kept him, He has autism, which I am told is a side effect of his mom(me) being on zoloft...other than that, before I was on zoloft, I was always having panic attacks, it was crazy, I was so fearful, as I had been beaten to near death and left in a driveway, to die. I wasn't found till a day later and then taken to a hospital. So my brain was always in panic mode. Without the Zoloft and many years of intense counseling I wouldn't be the woman I am today...I never go a day without taking it...the only side effects I see, are when I run out and cant get to the pharmacy till later, I panic, get frustrated, and have really severe headaches, which could be a result of my traumatic brain injury or not having my regular dose of 100mg of zoloft...hope this helps...
  • Posted

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear its having a positive effect on your wellbeing smile I feel I will be taking sertraline for many more years, but there is no shame in using medicines to help you function in life. I also have to work to provide for my family, and used to feel the same way (about my coworkers), but upon talking to a few of them about my situation it turned out that this isn't an uncommon feeling. One is even taking sertraline too so we compare experiences!

Its hard not to feel the pressure of responsibility, its so overwhelming sometimes, but give yourself a break - you're doing the best you can and you should be proud of yourself for everything you do smile the fact you even saught out this help shows you're trying your best to just crack on with life, and that takes great strength!

Try not to worry about the long term and focus on the now and near future, i find this helps me to just take it one day at a time.

X

• Posted

I've been on 200mg Zoloft/Sertraline for 14 years. It's made a big difference for me and I'm thankful to have it.  I'm 70 and trying to figure out if my diminished memory is simply a function of my age of if long-term use of Zoloft may be affecting memory. Any one else noticing this?

Tom S.

• Posted

Thank you so much to everyone who has shared their experiences.

In 2016, after another lousy experience, I decided to revert to sertraline but alongside support from a psychodynamic counsellor. This helped me conclude that 1) I became really quite a bit paranoid when stressed, and 2) this was due to how I'd interpreted things that happened when I was young.

Now at last I'm starting to see things differently, and I can see how normal I am !

However, the predisposition to be paranoid is still there, so I won't be coming off my 50mg any time soon !

I've also realised that alcohol is really good at turning everyday challenges into potential catastrophes, so I've adapted and now only drink in moderation at weekends. I also do short exercises every day to keep positive.

I am calm and I am coping, and this is a feeling I'll never take for granted.

Also, I never realised how a bit of wine every night could make you sooo tired over several days!

Good luck with your challenges !

Dave

• Posted

I was on zoloft for the last 15 years. In the beginning at 25mg it helped my anger issues. I couldn't let problems go and it helped immensely. Over the years i moved up to 100mg. I just quit after loosing insurance and changing jobs. 6 months off and i am a new person. I can get over problems. Handle my anger. And most of all i can FEEL again. Zoloft made me a zombie that was OK with a dreadful pessimistic life. Now that i can feel and love and want love i see what a sad life i led. Always wanting to be alone. My wife cheated on me basically because i didnt have any love to give and i couldnt see what i was doing until now. Now here i am begging for my wife and family back and everyone i know has given up on me. I was so bla all the time.

So!!! Be careful. Dont depend on the zoloft for too long. It can help but between my personal experience and that of watching my wife be so cold i believe 100mg kills who you really are

• Posted

Hi Dave

I've been on Sertraline since January this year.. Sunday will be 100 days. I've suffered with General Anxiety Disorder for many years, especially getting depressed and having a low mood and also fear (always thinking something violent is going to befall me). I have to say that since taking the Sertraline, I am more chilled, almost back to my old self (about 30 years ago). I only take 50mg and I think this is enough (for me) and I am on it for 6 months. I'm hoping and praying that the chemical adjustments within the brain would be returned to normal, as I don't want to stay on the message... The only side effect I've really experienced is tiredness.

All the best

Mike

• Posted

I meant dosage, not message (I assure you that this mistake is the predictive text and not a side effect.. 😁wink.

• Posted

I was put on zoloft 22 yrs ago because I complained of headaches. My doc said I was stressed, wearing too many hats. Well fast foward... It did help yet I was told I acted like I really didn't care about anything. Life has gone on. Kids grown, divorce, remarried and I have tried several times to wean off. Now instead of headaches I am just so depressed, angry. I go back on and am nice again. I want to get off the stuff but cant. I think it has caused me to have to take it. I take 100 mg per day. I have gained weight, am extremely tired/low energy. I am 55 and feel so old. Joints hurt. Had knee replaced. I need to know what this drug is doing to me.

• Posted

i have been on sertraline for approx 20yrs [i am now 78]

i havnt had any side effects, i still drive but i sometimes feel tired, this could be due to age

• Posted

I've been on sertraline 100 mg for 27 years.

The weight gain side effect is not 100%. Personally, the only side effect I have from it

is when i forget to take it. My wife usually notices a change in my behaviour. No appetite change, no sexual side effects - no bad ones anyway. no headaches... Works quite well for me. I have a healthy diet.

• Posted

After my radical hysterectomy, I have been on Zoloft 50mg for 16 years now. 
    I sure noticed the difference both times, that I decided, on my own, that it was not needed anymore.
    Boy! was I  wrong! I became such a witch at work, and home. 
    My doctor never questions my refill requests; the weight gain only started in the years that I approached my 70th birthday. Happy birthday to me! Thank God for Zoloft/Sertraline! -Sandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.