Sertraline Withdrawal .. Does it go away?

Posted , 276 users are following.

Hi. I just wondered if anyone had been through sertraline withdrawal and got better? I look on the internet and can't find anything positive about ssri withdrawal, particularly sertraline. I guess when people stop posting, it means they've got better. All I seem to see is posts from people who've been suffering for months or longer. I just want some hope.

I was on citalopram last year (first ever anti depressant) and came off it after 2 months because I had terrible reactions to it. A week later I was put on sertraline and reacted terribly to that too (I'm still suffering the side effects).

I took my last sertraline 3 weeks ago. My top dose was 100mg and I was going nuts. I dropped down to 50mg for about 5 weeks, 25mg for 2 weeks and 25mg every other day for a week.

Since then (and during titration) I have been having brain zaps all day every day and every time I move my eyes. I'm more exhausted than I've ever been in my life. I have sweats. I have worse sinus problems than I've ever had. I have loads of pressure behind and around my left eye. I can barely look at the television or read. I have long crying bouts. All this on top of the existing hideous and ongoing side effects which are worse than withdrawal.

I was on sertraline for a total of about 3.5 months and have been off 3.5 weeks. I've heard the average for withdrawal symptoms is around 6 weeks but can be much longer. Given my extreme sensitivity to medication, I'm afraid that I may be one if the unlucky ones. I was much better before I took any meds.

I'm taking loads of fish oil and magnesium, eating healthily and drinking lots of water. I was trying to be positive but am becoming less positive by the day.

Anyone else experienced this and recovered? I can't bear the thought of going on any more meds because I can't tolerate them.

Thank you.

31 likes, 714 replies

714 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks Yorkshire. Mine never worked. I had akathisia (which I still have) and got extremely suicidal, heartbeat of over 150mg, intense shaking along with a whole host of other nasties. The doctor suggested 50mg every other day for 2 weeks and then stop. I did it slower than that.

I guess I should have titrated a lot slower. SSRIs just don't seem to suit me.

Thanks again.

• Posted

i see you are having problems with ssris.  I cant find anything to suit. Did you?
  • Posted

I mean heartbeat of over 100bmp, not 150mg!
  • Posted

Hope you start to feel better soon. Good luck with it all :-)
  • Edited

You can step off this med safely. There are people who don't have problems and many who do. Sometimes much anxiety is felt coming off and can be felt up to months later. Your body simply needs time to reproduce the chemicals that were usurped by the med.

These meds were NEVER meant to be taken long term! That's what doctors and pharmaceutical companies to NOT make clear in the beginning. If they were clear - many of us would not be willing to take them and that would affect their bottom line. Long term use can lead to serious side effects some, of which, can be PERMANENT.

Search term the risks of staying on these meds. Don't think that they'll never happen to you. They will and do happen to people JUST like us!

• Posted

I'm crying reading this! I've been on for 17 years because withdrawal was too hard. I am now off for two months and it is the usual hell - super anxiety, panic attacks, constant crying and quick to anger. I just can't even wrap my head around the fact this could be permanent!

• Posted

Hi there

Sorry to hear your story I'm just tapering mine now, have been on them for two years. I'm doing it super slowly. It will take me about 4 months if all goes well. Even reducing 25% has given me more headaches etc but I'm going to persevere. Next week I go down another 25% so fingers crossed. Did you taper very slowly ? What dose were you on before you stopped.

• Posted

It won't be permanent e37242, but it takes a long while for your brain chemistry to return to normal, at least it has for me. It's very frustrating but it will happen. I was on sertraline 10 months the last couple at 150 mg. I finished tapering in Dec 2013 which is 20 months ago

I still have nausea most mornings, loose bowels, as is having to jump out of bed, to go to the bathroom some mornings. Ear ringing periodically, blurred vision, memory loss, low blood sugar. I'm a witch until I eat. These are all new since being on sertraline. I'm hoping eventually these symptoms will vanish.

You've been on them a long time why are you coming off? I have a friend who has been on 20 years, 100 mg. She's gained 50 lbs. but feels good. Oh yes and I gained 30 lbs. on them, which I'm finding difficult to shein my 60's.

It will get better, but know you're not alone, these are a psychiatric drug which affect our brain chemistry, some of us longer than others. Good Luck and hugs, I know how you feel.

• Posted

So sorry to hear you're still suffering. I'm begging everyone who suffers such symptoms to report them to the yellow card scheme or FDA including the duration.

It's impossible that antidepressants are on the market for 20 years but still no doctor recognizes that they can give you years of suffering.

Sure, for some it's worth the risk, but others are given these drugs for a bit of stress.... making people way worse than they were before starting....

Please, people, report your symptoms!!!

• Posted

I live in canada, I guess the FDA would be who I should report to. I never thought of this, good idea ~ Thanks.
    • Posted

Thanks for the support!  I know that being on heavy prescription drugs can stress and really mess up your liver and kidneys. I wanted to get off to spare my body. The long time I was on them contributes to the hard side effects. I titrated down to a tiny amount over a year. So that's not the issue.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

And I intend to write my long time physical that prescribed them in my 40s. Write your doctor!
    • Posted

Perfect, thanks so much!Let's all work together so that the truth about these drugs becomes known one day.
    • Posted

There's no point in writing my Dr. She does not believe I'm still suffering w.d. Their knowledge is obtained from their medical journals, however "one size does not fit all"! We are all different, and respond differently to meds. I'd be still on them and suffering, if I'd of listened to her.
    • Posted

Agree, doctors don't have a clue about how serious those meds are that they prescribe like sugar pills. My doctors deny and minimize all my issues and left me completely alone in the worst, medication induced crisis I can ever imagine. Still, I complained to the practice and the authorities about my GP.

One complaint doesn't change much, but if we all do it....

I've also gone to the press.

• Posted

Your experience sounds like mine. I suffer from SAD was put on one A.D. after another, never felt well on any of them, in fact worse. At 150 mg of sertraline I was not sleeping. G.P. wanted to increase the A.D. and put me on a sleeping med. I had talked to my pharmacist before going to the DR. She said in my opinion, if you're not sleeping you should reduce the A.D. At that point I decided enough of this, I'm coming off of all this crap. She did advise me not to do so, but when i insisted she suggested the taper! I had a two year nightmare in which time I changed Drs.
    • Posted

yep, sounds like me. I've been disabled for six months now with no sign of improvement. My brain zaps are so bad that I'm often completely disoriented. I can't do anything useful. Nobody believes me and I have no chance of filing a lawsuit against the drug company because of the crappy laws here in Europe.

I've heard this story so often now. FDA & other agencies don't follow up with patients, so they have no idea how long we suffer. They just take an initial report, that's it. It shouldn't be, but it seems our job to chase them.

• Posted

Yes, I've been withdrawing for two months. Years ago when I tried to withdraw, the brain zaps lasted four months. I intend to write the FDA and be sure to write the doctor who first prescribed them.  He/she needs to know!!!
    • Posted

That's the attitude! Let's stop them from messing with our health! You're the hero of the day smile
    • Posted

Hi Resigned, I am in a similar boat as you and wanted to reach out to you. I am 2 months off Zoloft. Was on it for about 18 years. Dosages ranged from 100mg to 50mg. Withdrawal was rough. Still feeling withdrawal effects, however less severe. You are probably 3 months off now. How is it going now? I also fear long term effects. But know I need to give it more time. The worst symptom for me now is anxiety. Some of it taking over me for no reason, and some that are situational, however, not rational where there is any real threat or danger. Secondarily, i am drowsy a lot, probably due to nighttime anxiety and bad dreams. Hoping that passes. I had horrible nighttime terror. Waking up to a sudden house, such as my alarm clock, was terror.  I went through a period of constant crying and anger/frustration early on in the withdrawal. Front of head was very fuzzy, almost headachey. Could not think straight. Forced myself to go out on weekends. Hoping this passes more and more over time. But, now my memory is better than when I was on the drug. I had an unusual sense of euphoria and abnormal sense of reality while on it. I carry some pills with me in my purse just in case I break and want to start taking it again, but, I pray I won't need to. A supplement I'm going to start taking to calm my central nervous system is l-theanine. I'd love to hear how you are making out. Know you have a buddy here and are not alone.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa.  My situation is almost exactly the same.  16 years on, now almost four months,off.  I am almost symptom free, finally!  Yes that anxiety,is a bear!  It was what hung on the longest.  I did lots and lots of slow, deep breathing and it helped but noticed anything disagreement with someone caused the anxiety immediately.  Only had one horrid night terror.  Hang in there.  You can do this!!  Yes, water all the time and good foods and rest.  went back on twice over the years because I couldn't take the withdrawal.  Hang in there.  Yes, check out the Vit E.  Read good things about it.  Good luck!

• Posted

I too have taken zoloft a long time - 18 years. I am 2 months off it now from a fair weaning schedule. I could have gone slower with it but it wasn't super fast. Worst symptom now is extreme anxiety. Feel it in my chest a lot and find myself doing a lot of shallow breathing. It's making me reconsider going back on zoloft. But I hold on day after day hoping much of this will subside as my brain regulates and adjusts. If it can and will, I will hold out. Has your anxiety gone down any? I think it's been 4 months off for you now. I can't live like this forever. But, can wait if I hear others had the same issue and had it decrease over time. Thanks
    • Posted

Yes, it's been four months off and I have NO symptoms now.  I went back on twice over the years because I couldn't stand the symptoms.  Tryyyyyyy not to. ❤️  That anxiety is a bear!  Lots of deep, slow breathing, many times a day.  Someone in another post said to measure progress week to week, month to month even, but not day to day.  Great advice. Healing is slow.  But you can get there!  It will decrease.  Eat well and drink tons of water.  Holler at me if you need to.  You go girl!  Ellen
    • Posted

Thanks Ellen, that was actually me who said about measuring progress week to week or month to month. Today is a hard day, as was yesterday. Enough to have me working out a game plan for finding a psychiatrist and going back on it again. It didn't help that my sleep was off the past couple of nights, and up reading blogs and discouraging medical articles that paint a horrid picture of gloom and doom about it. I go from heavy, shallow breathing anxiety all day, to another day feeling quiet abnormal anxiety with depression, which I have today. Afraid to leave the house, glad I don't need to.

My normally anxious nature has me terrified of waiting it out beyond the two months off an 18 year period on an SSRI. I'd like to know how long too long is being off an SSRI to make it not work if one decides to go back on in the event the symptoms persist. I read one person was off 4 months and went back on zoloft and was fine. So I have 2 more months before my panic gets worse about that. I'm most afraid of regretting not going back on in time if this persists.

I may have tapered too fast too. How long did you taproot for? Mine was 3 months on my own. I ditched my psychiatrist as he said Zoloft is like a vitamin for the brain. Plus i could barely understand his broken english. In retrospect, I'd have liked to taper over the course for a year, if not more, via liquid formula, if easyou enough to obtain and measure properly. I know getting the exact dosage for my cat's liquid antibiotics is never accurate in those syringes.

Did you feel apprehension or any despair these past 4 months? Are you able to go day to day now about your business without the symptoms clouding you like a blanket? Has your sleep returned? I've had insomnia since stopping zoloft. A good night has me getting 6 hours. I used to sleep so long when on Zoloft. Thanks 😫

• Posted

Don't give up on yourself!  It may take some time if you want to try again.  If not, if you are living well with the medication, it's not the worst thing in the world.  I was not on for as long as you but I was on for a number of years.  I've taken myself off with care and support; it CAN be done.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa.

Reading this post it's been 3 months since you posted it. How are you doing?

I am currently going 1 month off of 100mg Zoloft cold-turkey cause it freaked me out so much. I was manic and euphoric as well. Nothing bothered me. I was making decisions on life changing things on this drug without much thought. I've been on it for 2 years. I completely feel you're pain. It's been Hell. No better word for it.

I never had such problems before I was on AD's (Before it was Prozac, but it tapers naturally) problems were all acute and I was young. If anything, the drugs have created more symtoms of depression and anxiety for me now looking back at my unconsious decisions. I'm consistantly ranging emotional states between tired, angry, sad, and confused. I had forgotton how to eat cause I was so stressed out. I lost ten pounds in two weeks unintentionally. Sometimes I feel like I have horse blinders on and I'm walking in a fog. My ears are consistantly blocked, my hearing is terrible. I feel dumber and I am unable to focus on anything without overthinking. My short term memory is bad. I forget the conversations I had with my parents an hour ago, and talking about this verbally is almost impossible without crying. My nightmares are gone, night terrors, and brain zaps aren't as bad, although my eyes twitch at random when I'm reading or writing.

I think we as patients, we are misinformed on the consequences, and yes it may help me in that moment, but to be taken regularly... based on experience, I'm starting to believe these drugs really mess up the human body and it's normal nervious system patterns and it shouldn't be messed with. I don't know what to do, I'm terrified to start anything new, medication wise, cause I don't want to mess with my body any more than it already has, and I think it's too late to taper back after fighting this long. I'm terrified that I am permanately damaged at such a young age. Poisoned and disabled are the perfect words to describe how I feel. 

If you ever drop one of those pills in water, see what it does. Drop one pill in a clear glass, so you can see it. It turns into cement. Let it sit for a day and then try cleaning it out as if it were a dirty dish. What is it actually doing to your body, especially when taken every day? We are mostly water, right? I dropped a pill in my glass on accident, and it hasn't left my mind. We as humans like to complicate everything, and perhaps exercise, eating well, and exposer therapy, ect. (the oldest tricks in the book), may work better in the long run. I dont know, I just sure wish I didn't seek for the "quickest cure". 

If you or anyone else have advice on how to heal naturally and other personal experiences that may calm my mind, that would be very helpful and appreciated. How has the I-Theanine helped? This site has been nothing but comforting so far. 

• Posted

That's it how I feel it's horrible to taper down I did 4 weeks at 50mg then 4 weeks at 25mg then 3. Weeks at 12.5mg now I'm on 12.5 mg every other day this med as changed me as a person ever since I started it I've never felt the same witch it 6 months of hell I feel soow at the moment just hoping this is withdrawals from the med just wondering as anyone felt this way on this med and does it get better ?

Thanks

• Edited

Don,

I'm sorry that you are also going through this. It's a scary thing, and it’s incredibly impossible to understand what is going on ... It's refreshing to know that I am not the only person going through these things which has made this website so useful. 

For me, some days are better than others. I dont know what it's like to taper, but cold turkey, I do feel a ton better than I did a month ago. I like to hope that every day without this drug my body is slowly.... but surely healing back to its natural chemistry. All I can do is hope that things WILL get better.  

This is what I have been doing to cope with everything. They aren't cure's of course, but it has helped me and has pushed me into a healthier lifestyle. In the last month, I have been forcing myself to chug a ton of water, as well as drink chamomile sleepy hot tea and other teas when I am frustrated and need to relax. I fall asleep listening to guided meditation music (YouTube) to take some freaky thoughts away, which has seemed to help me ease into sleep more peacefully regardless of how cheesy it is. I have been forcing myself to go to the gym more regularly, truly beliving exercise is the best thing you can do for your mental health. Stay away from heavy caffeine intake, that stuff had dialed up my anxiety to the max. I can't watch anything that switches my brain into thinking negatively, so cartoons and House Hunters it is. I am distracting myself any way I can. I have been reading self help books before bed to distract myself in these low times (The Power of Now, and The Four Agreements are good one's), as well as stupid, funny things to get myself laughing, which has helped with sadness. Basically I'm trying to detox to the core, changing my habits to a more natural extreme, hoping it will speed up the process of feeling okay. Perhaps I should find a sauna and sit in there until I can't. Paint, color things, build stuff, participate in old hobbies on some free time even if it's less than artistic. Who cares if we have all been accustomed to think those things are for ages 12 and under, I have found that my stick figures and sketchy flowers aren't SO bad. :-) Most importantly I have been distracting myself from a horrible situation with things that don't involve much thought. If one person got something useful out of this post than great! I wouldn't wish this feeling upon anyone, and I hope and pray we won't have to suffer for long. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying

It's so frustrating all this you've been on this med for 2 years with no joy what's your gp said in that time what I've noticed with my gp that he as not got a clue about these meds so if they don't know about this s... Why do they just push them on us like smarties I've had 6 months of bad anxiety and depression anger negative thoughts they have changed me as a person . Now your a month without them have your negative thoughts carmed down and what about your mood ? Then 2 are my biggest problem at the minute

Thanks keep in touch

R u in the UK ?

• Edited

Yeah it's frustrating to now understand that these drugs are being prescribed on a whim. As patient's we are clueless until they are actively messing with what's most important to us-- our brain. 

My negative thoughts have gotten a lot better and my mood is more hopeful than it first was. One day at a time for sure. I have to keep myself busy and active. I've noticed the most I lay around the worse it gets, however, I have a hard time pushing myself to get ready for the day as well as sleeping too much. Social situations are tough since my anxiety seems to take over everything. I definitly don't feel like the upbeat person I used to be, but I'm praying that time will tell. I started taking liquid B-12 yesterday which is supposed to help with mood and the neurological system, but we'll see. Hopefully you'll be more ready to fully come off of these soon. 

I'm in the US. Best of luck. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Was pssd part of your withdrawal? And if so, did it go away? How are you doing overall?

Best,

Alex

• Posted

Hi there.

Have been recently reducing dosage of sertraline and came across your post. I am experiencing the same. Just wondering hoe are you getting on now? Have the symptoms passed??

• Edited

Hi

I am 76 years old and have been taking sertaline for 18 years. When I first started I was suffering from chronic deression and the 100 mg was supposed to help. I suppose it did! However, many of the side effects were the same as the side effects of the many pills I was takin for other things! I do not know what brought it on but two weeks ago I felt so bad! People use the word 'zombie' willnilly but truly that was how I felt. I just couldn't function. I am an enthusiastic lawnbowler and used to play four days a week even i I had to force myself. When this hit me I deid not have the strength even to go to the Club.

My doctor has never been able to do more than adjust medication which has never helped.I was so bad that I was ready to die! The only thing that kept me going was the thought of the predicament it would leve my wife of 54 years.

I am not certain what my thought processes were but I decide then and there to stop cold turkey. I was aware of the withdrawals symptoms but ws prepared to take them head on. It has only been three weeks and it has not been easy but it must be working. I actually dragged nyself down to the bowls club and played bowls!. I cannot begin to describe the symptoms, Its like bein tremendously ill at ease all the time, day and night. It seems as tho I never sleep, altho I knowI do because I have terrible dreams. I have dicussed taking a sertaline to alleviate some of the problems wife fell that I should soldier on.

I know that I have rabbitted on in this post but I have noone else to talk about my illness. I have four children who certainly do not wish to hear of my complaints and I try to keep the worst of them from my wife! 

I think this post has helped me and you do not have to read it anyway

• Posted

It really is quite dangerous to stop taking sertraline abruptly. 

The recommended safe way is to taper slowly by 10% from the last dose per month. I don't want to frighten you but the withdrawal effects you are having are damaging and can be long lasting and even permanent.

its suggested that you reinstate to your last dose for a month to stabilise your brain chemistry and then start the taper. There is no rush to come off them and it will be beneficial in the long run.

i was on 50 mg sertraline for two years and I have been tapering off since October, I will be off them completely at the end of this month and have avoided withdrawals symptoms,

i wish you well,nplease take note and follow the advice on here - be kind to yourself x

• Posted

Hello Kelvyn

Please know that you have people here with sane and safe advice.

Read as many other posts as you can- knowing your symptoms are not imaginary can be a real tonic.

I was on 200mg's for 2 years. It took me 10 months to taper off. I hadn't found this forum then so didn't know about the 10% taper technique so maybe it would've been smoother. I did it. I'm still here but the side effects were terrible and I still feel the shock waves 9 months after having my last 1/4 pill.

It's a long road but you are armed with knowledge and an underlying fighting spirit by the sounds of it.

Take care of yourself

• Posted

Guys I just had to join up and share my thoughts with you people.

Was on escitalopram for 3.5 years and side effects hot worse and worse. GERD etc.

Tapered off them for 4 months. No problem. Delt with the zaps and tummy pains and headaches.

But the anxiety and chest pain since January as been bad. Never had non cardiac chest pain before these tablets. I seem to go into melt down over things that should not be a problem.

You guys have really given me some support by your chats!

Many thanks

• Posted

Yup, everyone gets that the physical wd symptoms up front are caused by coming off the med, but the delayed onset of emotional ones throws folks for a loop since the drug is supposedly "out of the body" by then.  Well, it's not about the drug being in the body, but about the fact that the body developed a dependency to the drug and without it you go into withdrawal.  There are serotonin receptors all throughout the body, and over 80% of your serotonin exists outside the brain!  Muscles are affected by it which is likely why your heart is having symptoms.  If it weren't for the heart stuff, you'd probably think the anxiety was some kind of relapse, but no, it is another wd symptom, as can be depression!

Four months is still a very quick taper.  80% of your receptors are still occupied at the minimum effective dose of these meds, yet we tend to jump off from that dose or maybe half of it.  Tons of receptors are freed up, causing huge imbalances.  Plus, for all the time you were on whatever dose, your system made adaptations in an effort to bring about homeostasis, by down-regulating serotonin receptors and production.  Those physical changes must occur in reverse, but it takes much longer than anyone expects or knows.

• Posted

I have been off of zoloft for a month. I was on 100 to 150mg. I feel like I have the shortest temper ever! Not to mention the anxiety I have in the car. I started take Melissa Leaves (lemon balm) of I feel anxious and it seems to mildly help but makes me sleepy. How are you doing now? I'm hoping it gets better soon. I have quit trying to have any deep thoughts because I feel so scatter brained. I just don't want to have to rely on any chemicals anymore to feel "normal". I hope I can do this. I have been on zoloft for 8 years.
    • Posted

Vegas, when you have been on a drug 8 years, your nervous system has remodeled to take the action of the drug into account to restore homeostasis.  To yank away 100-150 mg to 0 is like yanking the trellis out from under a vine.  You are experiencing withdrawal because your nervous system is in chaos now that the drug it built into the framework isn't there.  I'm afraid to say that you are in for a long hard road with this cold turkey.  The only fix for a drug you are in withdrawal from is the drug itself.  You would be doing yourself a kindness to reinstate and then do a SLOW taper off, honestly!

But it shouldn't be the 100-150 as your nervous sytem has done some remodeling back after a month.  50 mg may do the trick.  Taking more than you need can go paradoxical and make you feel worse.  What size tablets do you have?

Though people hate the idea of going back on the drug they want to be off so badly, it is usually the more sane path since months of horrible withdrawal will lead you back on the med or another anyway, usually at much too high a dose with horrible effect.  Just read around this forum and you will see that story described over and over, with the difference being that usually the person doesn't realize he or she has been in withdrawal and everyone thinks it's a relapse.

If you can stabilize on a small amount of Zoloft, you can then taper down more reasonably and have success at getting off of it.

• Posted

Oh, I did taper but it was only done over about 2 months. I started to taper from 150 to 100 about 3 months ago and then the 100 down to nothing was about 2 months. But of course as soon aso soon as I was completely off it seemed like that's when all the stress came... we moved, money problems, etc. I feel like I'm doing ok as far as depression goes and I am slowly learning how to control my anxiety (except as a passenger in the car), but the physical stuff like my mushy brain, upset stomach, and then the anger seems never ending. Do you still think I'll have a hard time getting through the withdrawals?
    • Posted

Well, with protracted withdrawal the first couple of months are the physical yuck with emotional problems such as anxiety, panic and depression coming on four or more months out.

There's a scientific article that shows receptor occupancy of several SSRIs (meaning the number of receptors being blocked by the drug, therefore serotonin re-uptake inhibitor...).  For Zoloft, between 50 and 150 mg, your receptors are still blocked at about 80%.  It's below 50 mg where all hell breaks loose.  The longer someone has been on these drugs the longer it takes for the nervous system to remodel back, and it seems to have a strange evolution of windows and waves, windows being periods where you feel ok and waves being where you feel worse again, and that goes back and forth.   A lot of people get hit with the physical up front, the first two or three months, wtih the emotional hitting later, four to six months, and again somewhere around 9 months out.  Others feel fine initially but get slammed later, confusing the issue.  That's what happened to me with Effexor; no trouble intially but then symptoms began to pile up until I ended up reinstating at 10 months out.  I didn't know it was withdrawal since I didn't have the up front physical like you.

The support forums say when ony as far out as you are now, that reinstating a small amount is your best bet to prevent future suffering.  Then you can do a slow taper off that amount. The slow taper recommended for the least harm to most people is 10% per month of the previous month's dosage.

Now, that rate is usually found to be unacceptable to a lot of people, no patience for it, and so they go on to taper off much too fast, crash and burn and then reinstate, and then acknowledge that they will have to go slower.  This whole process sets them back many months before they finally get on with doing it correctly.

The choice is yours, of course, but the further you get out from jumping off, the less likely reinstate is to work. 

I hate to say that the emotional symptoms come on bigger and badder than you've ever experienced in your life; it truly brings people to their knees.  I am not trying to scare you but at the same time you need to know so that you can make an informed decision.  Having been there done that, my aim is to help as many people avoid that as I can :-)

I'll send you a pm for additional information if you like.

• Posted

Just wondering if you stayed of the Zoloft? Im on week six of the withdrawl and still experiencing sever panic attacks.  I never had them before I stopped taking the Zoloft but I am so scared that they are never going to stop. Just wondering if you experienced this as well and if so for how long?
    • Posted

You seem to be someone with a glimmer of hope for me. So much doom and gloom info I would love to here more success stories.

I've been off Zoloft for 20 days now. And I'm starting to now feel terrible. how do I know of I'm rebounding or if this is normal even after 20 days?

I did what I thought was a slow taper. I Have been on Zoloft for a total of at least 5 years and thence the past year I managed to go from 50-25mg.. Stayed at 25mg for almost a year and then went up to 50 for 2 weeks and then back down to 25 for 4weeks and then alternated 25mg every other day for 3 weeks before stopping.

This week as been the roughest for me. I felt pretty good up until now.

Feelings of sadness which is leading me to anxiety again. I'm super sensitive and my feelings are hurt easily. The butterflies in my stomach and feelings of helplessness. My mind drifts to negative thoughts and that's what gets my anxiety going.

I do yoga at least 3 times a week and go on hikes. I'm seeing a naturopathic Doctor who has me on St Johns Wort, magnesium, b complex 5MTHFR.

Brain zapping is pretty much gone. I'm sleeping pretty good. But its feelings of despair now for most of the day and by mid afternoon I feel a bit better.

I'm trying my hardest not to start again.

• Posted

Hi anita2100!

I know exactly how you feel! I constantly wonder if I'm having a relapse or if I'm just experincing withdrawal symptoms. There are days that the slightest bit of stress or mishap has me in tears and I can't seem to stop crying. I feel like life is just too much.

Other days are better!

I've went off Zoloft (also thought I did a slow taper) but I reinstated on 12,5mg on advice from another group. It definitely helped with the symptoms. They also suggested NOT to skip days or take the meds on alternate days as this seems to confuse the brain even more!

They suggest tapering at 10% every month (they give advice on how to prepare the dosages)

Overall I think I'm getting better... but it is hard, very hard! There are definitely days that I just want to grab my Zoloft and run!

I also wish I could find more people who can reassure me that this will eventually pass, that one day I will be normal again!

Good luck!! Hang in there!

• Posted

I was taking sertraline 50mg for nearly 4 years. I went to see my GP and she advised to take 1 every other day for 4 weeks then come off them . I did the 4 weeks without any problems apart from a bit short tempered and now on day 11 of total withdrawal.....can't sleep till the early hours of the morning but great apart from that 😁

• Posted

You will be normal again it took me the better part of two years to feel normal. It will happen hang in there.  This drug changes your brain chemistry, takes the brain time to readjust some of us longer than others. I still awake some mornings nauseous.  My eyes also took a hit, have to wear glasses now.    Good Luck, it will improve, let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

This was super helpful / informative. I was on sertraline 100mg for about 8 months before tapering off. Reading this it seems I tapered off a bit quick. But I'm about 8 weeks in since I've stopped. The chest zaps and mood swings are hitting me just now and it was really surprising.

• Posted

I know this was a while ago but I’ve completed the yellow card on FDA about Sertraline, it’s poison! If you have had a bad experience on it please do the same , nothing will be done about these drugs unless we unite and tell our story!

Matt 

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

Do you feel normal again? I’m really hoping I can get back to feeling normal.

• Posted

Hi Betsy,

Are you able to message me the info on the article you mention?

• Posted

Hello Alison67839,

I'm not sure you are aware of how I came off. I was perscribed by my gynecologist, I started with 25mg a day, very small dosage. Over the phone I was told to take 50mg, then 100mg , then 150mg a day. Without any office visit. Just a call for a refill. I in the beginning was going through a lot in my life, tending 24/7 with a demented mother in law, brother in law 24/7 stage 4 cancer that spread to his brain, my husband drinking ...and the list goes on and on. Anyways , since the passing of my mother in law and brother in law. My prayers to god , everything returned to normal. At that time I was getting such panic and anxiety I thought I would die. But I prayed continuously. I was thankful my gynecologist was there, but at the same time I totally believe a patient should be more supervised and with the support of their physican. Anyways since my life seem somewhat to be going back to normal. I started weening myself off probably almost a year ago....150mg..I never wanted such medication but had no choice.I started weening off...I did it very, very slowly after reading on a blog. Zoloff can cause dementia. I personally never knew what dementia was until I dealt with my mother in law for 4 years 24/7 non stop. I never want to go through that terrible disease, or see anyone go through this disease.. I called my gynecologist and never received a return call, on how to ween myself off this medication. No return calls, then I started my own weening. Leaving it in gods hands. Two months ago I was down to approximately 75-100 mg when I called my drs office 5 times, just to get rude unprofessional receptionists to say my dr was no longer there. And her patients were never notified...When I asked to speak to another dr somehow reception was lost, no storms only time lost in the 13 years that I had this dr. I continued weening myself off by finding some valuable info online. Little by little and I mean little by little. I am now officially off of zoloft. Thank you Jesus. Never again, I do get headaches from time to time, but that could be my grandchildren....lol...I also found myself waking up 2, 3 4 in the morning , taking naps all throughout the day, heart palpitations. Its going on two weeks, I feel GREATFUL....To everyone you can do it. I am not in the medical field and advise anyone dealing with such, speak with your physician. I had no choice but to try weening off by myself . Good luck everyone. However, if you need any advice and you think I may be able to guide you . Please feel free to contact me.... I finally am starting to feel like me again...My downfall was I picked up smoking, that too I am quitting. I am down to maybe 3 a day....wish me luck. I don't have an addictive personality thank god. Smoking too shall come to a end...Smile all ....you'll be fine. ~~ hugs ~~

• Posted

hoping you are still around. You have given me hope. Does the anxiety go away slowly?

• Posted

hi dreana. yes my anxiety has gone away. as I've said before my situation is unique in that I stopped my Zoloft cold turkey after 20 + years. the medical community does not recommend this method but I made a choice and it worked for me. Plus I did lose 25 lbs and workout 6 days a week so that probably helps a lot too. good luck on your individual Journey, it is different for each of us.

• Posted

HI! I KNOW IT HAS BEEN AWHILE NOW. HOW ARE YOU DOING? HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO WEAN OFF AND DID THE ANXIETY STAY A LONG TIME?

• Posted

Hi again Drianna. luckily I am still enjoying the same state of mind as I was before. I deal with anxiety in a normal fashion, at least I can say when I experienced it it does not overwhelm me. I still work out avidly and have a gymbody. this is my method and may not work for everybody.

I don't need any medication anymore. he was highly useful at the time but now natural methods work best for me.

• Posted

Tony, I have been off for a year and three months and am still have high anxiety. Has decreased some. Never had it before coming off of Paxil. I am do afraid it won't go away.

• Posted

hi Ellen. Not sure if you are still checking this post but I found this very encouraging. I was put on Sertraline at the age of 14 due to OCD and GAD. I'm now 31 and have been on various dosages- most recently 150mg. I have tried to taper down but have struggled to find a good time to do it. I am a therapist myself and being emotionally dysregulated is obviously not helpful for my clients and staff so it's a tricky balance.

I'm currently trying tapering to 125mg and just seeing how it goes. it's been almost 1wk and I can notice some differences but within a manageable range.

Just wondering how you found maintaining functional day to day life and relationships while doing this tapering work? I too love this as a source of hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.