Sertraline Withdrawal .. Does it go away?

Posted , 276 users are following.

Hi. I just wondered if anyone had been through sertraline withdrawal and got better? I look on the internet and can't find anything positive about ssri withdrawal, particularly sertraline. I guess when people stop posting, it means they've got better. All I seem to see is posts from people who've been suffering for months or longer. I just want some hope.

I was on citalopram last year (first ever anti depressant) and came off it after 2 months because I had terrible reactions to it. A week later I was put on sertraline and reacted terribly to that too (I'm still suffering the side effects).

I took my last sertraline 3 weeks ago. My top dose was 100mg and I was going nuts. I dropped down to 50mg for about 5 weeks, 25mg for 2 weeks and 25mg every other day for a week.

Since then (and during titration) I have been having brain zaps all day every day and every time I move my eyes. I'm more exhausted than I've ever been in my life. I have sweats. I have worse sinus problems than I've ever had. I have loads of pressure behind and around my left eye. I can barely look at the television or read. I have long crying bouts. All this on top of the existing hideous and ongoing side effects which are worse than withdrawal.

I was on sertraline for a total of about 3.5 months and have been off 3.5 weeks. I've heard the average for withdrawal symptoms is around 6 weeks but can be much longer. Given my extreme sensitivity to medication, I'm afraid that I may be one if the unlucky ones. I was much better before I took any meds.

I'm taking loads of fish oil and magnesium, eating healthily and drinking lots of water. I was trying to be positive but am becoming less positive by the day.

Anyone else experienced this and recovered? I can't bear the thought of going on any more meds because I can't tolerate them.

Thank you.

31 likes, 714 replies

714 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks Resigned2B

These meds are scary. I feel way worse now than I did before I took them.mive had akathisia since I went on citalopram, only to have it worsen on sertraline. I still have it, although it's not as bad as it was. I feel like my brain is no longer able to produce seretonin and I now how horrid withdrawal symptoms too. Feel like something's sitting in my head behind my eye and it's impossible to watch television or read. I pray these things will all clear up.

I was only on meds 6 months. (I spent most of that time begging doctors to help me off them, unsuccessfully.) Hopefully my brain chemistry will return to normal now I'm no longer poisoning my body.

• Posted

So hard!  I think doctors really have no idea what withdrawal is like.  I didn't, but MANY people have your symptom of heaviness behind an eye. The scariest thought, I KNOW, is that our physiology is permanently changed.  We want our old selves back.  After 3 1/2 months off I now have no symptoms.  Hang in there! Ellen
    • Posted

Hi I know it been a year since you posted this but I was just wondering how your getting on ?
    • Posted

Hi meteor63,

Was pssd part of your wirhdrawal? If so, did your sexuality recover eventuallyy?

Thanks

Alex, PSSD sufferer

• Posted

How long were you on Zoloft and at what dose?

Do you feel completely fine now? No tearyness, no feelings of deard, nothing?

I am so looking for someone who can honestly tell me that they are 100% fine now after Zoloft...

• Posted

I have been off it for about 3 months and I am absolutely fine.

had been taking it for nearly three years and tapered off 10% each month over 7 months with no W/D effects

good luck

• Posted

I have been off  zoloft 50mg for 1 month and am starting to feel better and better I have no withdrawals and i think that the Vitamin B complex and fish oil have worked wonders, my sleeping is back to normal and i am not so tired, I do get a little tearyness still but less and less and no feeling of dread and if i feel slightly edgy I am able to control it so as it dosent get crazy. I also smile more uncontrolably like i get that smiling feeling in my cheeks that i have not had for so long. I think everthing takes time and eveyones experience will differ, are you thinking of comming off your medication? or have you started ? 

Kind Regards

Sharna smile 

• Posted

Dear Metero63,

You can step off this med with your doctor's understanding and help.

I recommend drinking lots of pure water (at least two quarts or eight glasses a day), a good diet, good protein, whole wheat, fresh veggies, fruit, fiber, etc.. This side effect should pass. You weren't taking them long and that should mean a quicker recovery time with less permanent damage. Many times it is too late and these meds cause PERMANENT muscle movement disorders. My doctor put me on 1000 units of Vitamin E. Check with him/her and see if that is okay for you to try. Research has shown Vitamin E is helpful in healing the neuro-pathways that control movements. It took six months for me to stop shaking. It was very scary since Prozac, and all psyche meds can cause the same issue. I had been on Prozac 14 years. It was not the offending med in my case.

There are other ways people have been successful in treating issues such as depression. Maybe you could d

o some research and see if any of them might work for you. In connection with talk therapy, even with a good friend, will be helpful. Try not to isolate yourself from friends and family. This is so common and very destructive to healthy mental healing. Be gentle with yourself and tell close family and friends that you need their support and understanding at this point in your life.

Try to relax and remember this has a good chance of healing since you've caught it so early. Some days will be better than others until finally, every day will be a day with little or no symptoms. Good luck...

• Posted

Thank you for all your posts.  As you can see from my nickname I am from the US.  I am really struggling with withdrawls and this is only forum that makes any sense at all to me.  I was put on Cymbalta 8 years old because I was getting off Oxycodone after Cancer and 8 spinal fusions. That was April 2006.  They put me on a bunch of drugs to combat the withdrawls including mega doses of Neurontin for Nerve pain.  Because of all the other treatments and surgeries it was hard to tell what was working and what wasn't.  I managed to get off of Neurontin but because I was going through so much from Oxycodone withdrawls and a divorce I stuck with the Cymbalta as they said it helps with pain.  So fast forward to 2014.  I can honestly say that I don't think Cymbalta helped with my depression at all.  It may have helped with the chronic pain I live with but depression, no.  I still cried, I still felt like isolating.  It was only through diet and exercise that I got some of my life back. So here in the US with our medical system I had to switch to a very overwhelmed HMO.  Because I was still suffering from depression they switched me to Zoloft which is where we are now in the discussion.  For some reason I didn't realize I was having severe withdrawls from Cymbalta while switching to 50mg of Zoloft.  They had me on both for a while but I was sinking fast! So they then put me on 100mg of Zoloft.  This is when I found this forum and said okay enough is enough.  I have been on so many drugs over the years because of Cancer and full spinal fusion (expect parts of my neck) that I want to see what it feels like without drugs period. But the withdrawls are pretty tough.  I have vertigo, dizziness, nausea, but I have had these before and they ease with time.  My main concern is my anger.  I have so much anger and doubt about everything.  Driving around is scary.  I am afraid of hurting myself or someone else I get so angry and then come the tears. I feel like a burden to my friends and family as I have been sick off and on for 25 years.  I think this is quite the life process and it is not an easy one period but I feel so strongly about the drug companies shoving their drugs down our throats (and they advertise here on TV) that I feel I just have to suffer through it. So I am going to take your advice and really focus on my own remedies and ways of coping.  I just finished my last 25 mg dose of Zoloft a few days ago so I know it is going to take time...I just hope I don't lose it and be forced to take more pills!
    • Posted

Hi ...You poor kid, you've been through so terribly much.  I'm also in the USA (new york).  A therapist is a MUST for you.  You simply need to have someone to talk to.  There are some very good clinics and I'd advise asking for a Social Worker and see if you can get a low fee.

A very good thing for detoxing (which I think after taking these drugs is necessary) is charcoal powder in some water, not very appetizing but it soaks up the toxins.  

If you need another anti-depressant to get you through this, don't turn thumbs down as you may simply need it for now.

If you know any holistic doctors and can afford them, that would be a help.  It's so hard when we're in this state to do everything on our own.

I've been on Sertraline for 20 years ... long story, but after trying Nardil which was GREAT (an MAOI Inhibitor) and deciding with my doctor's OK to slowly get off it, as I felt betterl, I plunged several months later into a hellish clinical depression.  Long story short, nothing worked except Sertraline.  

BUT now I can't sleep at night and that's hell enough for me to think of (very scary) slowly tapering off Sertraline with my doc's OK.

Were you not prescribed any anti-anxiety meds?  You sound like you're raw and could use something to ease the anxiety.  As I said above ... a therapist who could give you support would surely be appropriate now.

Your body will take awhile to detox ... see if you can find gentle detoxins.  Like the charcoal and water, etc.  Don't give up.  

Hugs and Hope

deeebeee

• Posted

I am so there with you, usagp. 

Grateful to have found this site. In desperation, I searched sertraline withdrawal on the off chance that this is what I've been going through. (Previous longterm history of Cymbalta also, as well as Imipramine, Trazadone, parnate, Paxil, Welbutrin, and, most recently, Sertraline. Thirty-some years worth.) i am certain I have been poisoned and feel determined to clean out my body and brain. But feeling so sick. Debilitating malaise, body aches, heavy-headed, nausea, mental fog, insomnia.I have read about seratonin syndrome and, now, sertraline withdrawal. I've been sick like this for three weeks maybe, and am so fearful it will not pass. I pray and pray. I have Essential Tremor, but the shakiness I get is more than ET. Tomorrow is Monday, so will try to see my regular doctor, but my appt. with psych doctor isn't until Wednesday. Will get some Vitamin E also. 

Thank you for your post. And all the posts. You're the only people who understand. God bless you. God bless you all. May we all be healthy again one day. 💗

• Posted

Go bless you too, Bonnie.  I just found this group this week.  Yes we all need to support each other. I will try the charcoal and Vit E.
    • Posted

Hang in there Bonnie!  I am almost four months off and now have no symptoms.  Good food, a little exercise, lots of deep, slow breathing, lots of water helped me.  I know how awful it is.  It will improve.  Lemon water for detoxing.  Love and hope. Ellen
    • Posted

I feel ya!  I tried getting off Zoloft twice before but the symptoms were too tough.  I once had this anger you refer too. And yes driving was scarey. I once pulled over and screamed at someone!  Me???  No, drugs talking.  Since you are aware of the anger, when it happens, try to mentally step back, breath deeply and see if the anger will go away when you aren't feeding it.  Actually say to it,  No, I am kind not angry, go away.  This puts you in control.  These horrid symptoms do go away but slowly. Hang in there. Ellen
    • Posted

Your symptoms are a mirror of my own!! Driving is scary because I have SO MUCH ANGER! My poor family gets the brunt of it all. It's only been a month for me. Are you feeling better now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.