Sertraline Withdrawal .. Does it go away?

Posted , 276 users are following.

Hi. I just wondered if anyone had been through sertraline withdrawal and got better? I look on the internet and can't find anything positive about ssri withdrawal, particularly sertraline. I guess when people stop posting, it means they've got better. All I seem to see is posts from people who've been suffering for months or longer. I just want some hope.

I was on citalopram last year (first ever anti depressant) and came off it after 2 months because I had terrible reactions to it. A week later I was put on sertraline and reacted terribly to that too (I'm still suffering the side effects).

I took my last sertraline 3 weeks ago. My top dose was 100mg and I was going nuts. I dropped down to 50mg for about 5 weeks, 25mg for 2 weeks and 25mg every other day for a week.

Since then (and during titration) I have been having brain zaps all day every day and every time I move my eyes. I'm more exhausted than I've ever been in my life. I have sweats. I have worse sinus problems than I've ever had. I have loads of pressure behind and around my left eye. I can barely look at the television or read. I have long crying bouts. All this on top of the existing hideous and ongoing side effects which are worse than withdrawal.

I was on sertraline for a total of about 3.5 months and have been off 3.5 weeks. I've heard the average for withdrawal symptoms is around 6 weeks but can be much longer. Given my extreme sensitivity to medication, I'm afraid that I may be one if the unlucky ones. I was much better before I took any meds.

I'm taking loads of fish oil and magnesium, eating healthily and drinking lots of water. I was trying to be positive but am becoming less positive by the day.

Anyone else experienced this and recovered? I can't bear the thought of going on any more meds because I can't tolerate them.

Thank you.

31 likes, 714 replies

714 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

PS You said you pray these thing get better. I could NOT have gotten through this without prayer. God will be there for you when you think you can't take one more trial. He is the ONLY one who can truly help you in your darkest moments. Take Him up in His promise. You are His child and He wants to be invited into your heart, is anxious to help all of His children get through the roughest times in our lives.

The one thing that will surprise us most when we meet Him again is how WELL we know Him. Every prayer we have ever uttered will be there between us. Again, God bless you.

• Posted

Resigned2B thank you so much for your wonderful replies.

I am so sorry you have been through so much.

I took 200mg of vitamin E last night and will add the vitamin C tonight. I'm also taking magnesium and fish oil.

I'm drinking lots of water (incredibly thirsty), and cutting out sugar, dairy and gluten. I feel like I'm recovering after being poisoned. This is a very unusual depression because all of this started after taking antibiotics which break through the blood brain barrier. Shortly after taking them I got extremely agitated and depressed. It was really sudden and led me to SSRIs. Anything drugs that hit the brain seem to be really bad news for me.

I see friends quite often and make myself go out and do things despite the constant terror. Trying to retrain my brain.

Today,the brain zaps are calmer, the eye pressure has eased quite a bit and my mood isn't as black. So that's good!

Thanks for your lovely message about prayer. I pray a lot. I think this must have happened for a reason..maybe when I'm better I can help others through it.

Thanks again.

• Posted

My prayers are with you, too! Thank you friend...
  • Posted

Hi, I'm currently in predicament... I've been taking Sertraline since 07 and was on 50mg up until June last year after a mental breakdown, which resulted in a 3 week stay in psyche ward. I was informed on Monday that I've an interactive thyroid. The GP told me Sertraline can cause this. However my psychiatrist advised that this is not the case. It is the Mirtazapine 15mg which I've been on since December that will not help. So me being me, I cut down sertraline from 100 to 50mg on Tuesday. I have the brain zaps and stomach cramps accompanied by headaches and a 'hungover' feeling. I'm determined to stop all these meds so that I can get a clear blood test in June for my thyroid(follow up bloods). The GP said it is 'borderline' ie untreatable at this stage sad My care coordinator just advised to wait for my appointment on Monday with the psychiatrist. Anyone out there had a similar problem ? First timer on any forums but just need help!!! Thank you in advance smile
  • Posted

Dear OMM,

I would search term the side effects of your new med. If you need to get more answers call the.company that makes the med and ask them if they have ever had reports of the thyroid issue. You can also get on the ADA site and see what problems have been reported. Many times the doctors do NOT have all the information on drugs they may prescribe every day.

Search term the name of your med along with 'lawsuits' and see if you can find information about adverse side effects that way. You will likely be amazed at what docs aren't telling you.

My guess is you have stepped of the Sertraline too fast if you cut your dose by half in one day. You can get information on stepping off these meds from your pharmacist. Or search term 'stepping off (then the name of your med). There likely will be side effects , however, you can find out how to step off safely and at least know what you can expect and for about how long.

Do you know what your Vitamin D levels are? We are often low on Vitamin D. It is known as the 'sunshine' vitamin because you can get it from the sun. But the nickname also describes what the vitamin does for your outlook on life. It effects your mood. You can take too much of this vitamin so please find out what you may need from your doctor.

PS These meds were NERVER intended for long term use though that bit of information is often ignored by both doctors and pharmaceutical companies since it clearly effects their bottom line. The longer you are on the meds the more their side effects may become apparent. Sometimes the damage has been done before you realize it.

I was on Prozac for 14 years. The side effects, for what appears to be a VERY popular drug, are staggering! I'm truly surprised I didn't end up dead! I am now, after 24 years, not on ANY psych meds. I try to inform people who might be at 'misinformation risk' regarding the meds they have thought were relatively harmless. Meds have their place to be certain but too much of a good thing can be reckless. Just make sure you are armed with the right facts.

Good luck...

• Posted

Sorry, I meant 'NEVER'...
  • Posted

Dear Redesigned2B, Thank you for taking the time to reply. Can you just confirm what the ADA site is? 😊
  • Posted

Hi offmymeds (great name!)

Just wanted to say I am thinking of you and I wish you didn't have to go through this. I don't know what to advise so I'm not much help but Resigned2b has given u some great advice.

Resigned2B I am so sorry for what you have had to endure from taking meds.

• Posted

Hi meteor63, Im so grateful to you and Resigned2B for taking time to post on here. Yes you have given me some hope to stay away from these awful Anti- D's. Because atm it feels like Im just about existing. It is so hard to get through to even my care coordinator how I feel â›” I think she thinks Im a hypochondriac. And then see a different Psychiatrist everytime I have an appointment so it's been difficult to get support. So thank you once again. I hope my experience like you will help someone else
  • Posted

Clarifying ADA - whoops! I meant FDA! Glad you asked... They have all the recorded problems with meds at their disposal.

BTW - Your 'care coordinator' should try a few of these meds herself. She wouldn't be SO quick to judge you! I'm not sure why people think it is so easy to be handed off from one doctor to another time and time again. Just that alone is enough to put ANYONE into a mind-slide!

Write again if you need something...

• Posted

I have been off Sertraline for 10 months now and still have side effects....has anyone had side effects so long after withdrawal

Divalee

• Posted

Bless your heart!  10 months is long.  I've tried quitting several times over my 16 years and the longest symptom time was five months.  I hope you can manage living with those and they aren't too severe. Good luck.
  • Posted

Dear Lee,

I am so sorry you are still suffering from withdrawal side effects from this med. It can take a long time. I'm sure you've done a search online. It not - there are many things written on this subject.

You didn't mention what your symptoms are after so long? Can you tell us more?

• Posted

Oh my goodness 10 months is a long time. Are you getting brain zaps? Resignedtob I think you said you were shaking for six months. Was this after six months off the meds?

I was advised to reinstate at a really low dose to help the side effects. As I'm so sensitive, I wouldn't take any more but I'm taking only 2mg a day. I mixed together 25mg of sertraline with 25mg of water and I take 2mg from that. I have to say, the zaps are a lot better and my eye feels better. I'm less exhausted. So there seems to be something in it. I will stay on this low dose a little while then drop the doses until I'm ready to come off. Hopefully this will minimize the withdrawal symptoms. Then I will have to address the remaining akathisia. Fun fun fun!

• Posted

I am using therapeutic essential oils which is what helped me to not be dependent on the Zoloft to begin with, and has help with lessining the side effects this time .  I have tried in the past to get off of Zoloft but couldn't handle the side effects, specially while still having to be a mom and run our office! Alot of issues putting you on Zoloft in the first place come down to the Endocrine System being out wack.

I suggest you research the power of essential oils, take a good look at the side effects of adrenal glands not being balanced.  Western Doctors love to just blame alot on depression when really that is a major side effect of an out of balance body...

I really hope you take the time to look into this and you find a new healthy positive path wink 

• Posted

What essential oils did you use? And how? I was scared into taking Zoloft after the birth of our son and never should have - our family is a about natural remedies and healthful living. Now as I try to go off of it, I'm having the terrible withdrawal symptoms. If you could please shed some light on how you used your oils and which ones worked best, that would be so helpful! smile
    • Posted

Hi Nicoma, 

sorry to hear you're having such a bad time. It's awful how doctors push us into taking medication without even bothering to read up on what they are doing to us. 

I don't know much about essential oils, but for me Indian food seemed to lift the headaches and brain fog (possibly due to the chili and tumeric that stimulates the release of dopamine and endorphines). 

I also had very good results with accupuncture. 

For the racing thoughts (also a withdrawal symptom) I started to read self help books on EMDR (treatment for post traumatic stress). I felt that if I can't focus on anything else than my health, I may as well channel the worries on something that will benefit me on the long run. 

How long have you been having those symptoms? I hope you feel better soon. 

Best, 

Laura

• Posted

Oh, and try laughter yoga exercises from Youtube. It makes you feel totally silly, but it really helps. I'm sure your son will find it hilarious too.
    • Posted

Did you ever find out which essential oils mw91060 was using?
    • Posted

Hi, I was curious to know how you mixed Zoloft with water? Were you able to find Zoloft in a liquid form or did you crush the tablet and mix it water.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.