Sertraline Withdrawals

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on sertraline for some years, 7 in total i think.  I have been reducing my dose for 18 months and now got to the point i am off them, wow, why did my gp not warn me about the withdrawals??  my eyes feel like they are alien to my body, when i move my head i feel i need to wait for them to catch up, i feel like i am underwater as my head feels "fluffy"...how long does this go on for?  I haven't taken any pills for a week now...

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, it can take some time as your nervous system can not rewire itself back to its original self over night, would be cool if it could if you know. It's all a matter of time, some people don't have too much of a problem with WDs, some do...

Eat plenty of oily fish and the food that you know is good for you. Cut out junk food and stimulating drinks to speed up recovery. You will get better in time, gods speed to you 😃

• Posted

Hi Pauljdme, i am sure it will take time, and i feel maybe i don't have too much to complain about after reading just how bad it has been / is, for others.  The only real problem i have is my vision/ feeling like i have a woolly head!! 

Some days are worse than others and hopefully soon i will start having more good days than bad.

Thank you for your advice

• Posted

Sarah Drs. don't have a clue, at least mne didn't!   I had withdrawls up to a year and a half after. These drugs Affect your brain chemistry.  I never felt well on any of the 3 i tried.  My Dr. did not believe me said my anxiety was returning, not true, I know my body it was w.d. But for this site and others that have experienced the same I'd of gone crazy.  

Take care and stay the course you will get better.  Go back a year or two on this site you will see many of us experienced every w.d. going.  Some people are lucky I was not one of them!  

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

I am still going through withdrawals after 5 months and am so worried I will never feel "normal" again. After reading your post that it took you a year in a half, now I'm even more worried because I don't feel I would be able to handle these withdrawals for that long. Can you pretty please tell me that things got easier as the months went on? I am just so dizzy, blurred vision, feel depersonalized and overall just weird. I know my taper was not long enough but from what I'm reading there's no way I should go back after being off them for 5 months now, right?! I am way better off the meds but I just want to feel like myself. Do you totally feel normal now?

Any positive feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless,

Tricia

• Posted

Tricia things will gradually get better, but it takes time for some of us.  You will be fine believe me,  i was 90% after a year, had indigestion, blurry vision, loose bowels, shaking, sweating, nausea, headaches, the entire gamut at the beginning.  Be patient and after 5 months I'd see it through rather than go back on them.  I found exercise really halped me I went to the gym and still do to the treadmill 3 times per week.  Take Care, you will soon see alight at the end of the dark tunnel!  Hugs.

• Posted

Thank you so much Maureen for getting back to me! The only major side effects I still have is the blurry/fuzzy vision which is driving me absolutely bonkers because it's making me feel fake. How long did that last? I'm praying it didn't last you an entire year! I still have lose stools everyday, very unmotivated, tired, no feelings (not happy or sad), still sweating a bit at night and not sleeping too well, but those are all things I feel I could live with...it's the weird fuzzy feeling that I will not be able to deal with much longer. Can you believe that I emailed my doctor earlier today regarding the ongoing "dizzy" feeling and she responded saying it's been way too long for me to still be having withdrawal symptoms from the antidepressants?! This is absolutely so crazy that these doctors have no clue what they are doing to innocent people's lives. I have been walking 3-5 times a week and I plan on keeping that up! Again, thank you so much for responding and if you think of any other suggestions please let me know!! If you pray, PLEASE keep me in your prayers that I feel better soon!

Xo,

Tricia

• Posted

Your vision will inprove although I've laways had perfect vision and now feel I have lasting affects, which I blame on teh drug.  I'm older though, so could be an age factor as well. 

I just read aother one of yoiur posts where you also weaned off klonopin as well, thus you have a double whammy to deal with.  It also appears you didn't wean off gradually as is advised.  I weaned from 200 mg over 3 mnths which was too fast but once again my dr. recommended such, when I said I've had enough, two years of hell   Drs. IMO do not know  how these psychiatric drugs affect some people.   I'm not surprised you are still having dizziness, you taped too quickly and off two meds.  I can speak only from my experience, and know how you fell as I was totally frustrated as well.  Just try and relax and tell yourself it's not you it's the reaction from the med.  The more frustrated you become the harder it is on you, so try and go with the flow.  I went to a therapist who told me to say "relax and let go" to calm myself for sleeping.  I found this worked and I'd go off to sleep.  This will get better I promise.  i have been off the drug since Dec 2013, it wasn't easy but happy I stayed the course as i"m bck to my old self.  I've stayed on this site in hopes of helping people any way I can, as it was a difficult journey for me.  Others on this site assured me in dark times that it was not me, it was the drug, they were right, just as I pass this message onto you.  Your Dr. is in denial when all your tests came back negative, she's never been on an A.D. obviously but they should know they affect each and everyone differently.  My Dr. was teh same, my pharmacist was more helpful   You take care of yourself and relax, you're going to come out on top of this!  A year from now you will be back to your old self maybe earler.

• Posted

Awe thank you so much Maureen for your feedback! I like that "relax and let go" exercise! I will definitely start doing that! Have you ever heard of 5-HTP? It's a natural supplement that is supposed to help with serotonin that was recommended I start taking. I've been on it for about 4 months. Anyhow, I just read what possible side affects are of that and dizziness is one of them. Nonetheless, I'm going to start weening myself off that over the next 3-4 weeks to see if maybe that will help with this dizziness (wishful thinking I know)! You are an absolute angel to stay on this site to help others...God Bless you! I can not wait till I'm to that point in this journey so I could do the same! Thank you again for your support!

Xo,

Tricia

• Posted

Hi tricia things will get better. Pamper yourself, yes be a bit selfish and eat good food for a quicker recovery. Gods speed 🙂

• Posted

Hi Pauljdme!

Thank you so much for that positive feedback! Lord knows I really need it right now! Have you gone through antidepressants withdrawals as well? How long were you on them for? I've been off all my meds for a little over 5 months now. I was on Lexapro 10-20mg for 10 years, Klonopin 2mg for sleep for a little over a year, then phentermine for an eating disorder for 6 years. I literally can not even believe a doctor prescribed me all this stuff. I'm still having a lot of withdrawals symptoms but the ones I'm struggling with the most is the constant blurred vision, fake feeling and now my compulsions/anxiety is coming back again but for now it's tolerable (thank you Lord Jesus). I am still numb with my feelings and my motivation is very low. I was originally prescribed the Lexapro for an eating disorder/OCD/anxiety. I am trying to eat healthy, exercise 3-5 times a week and I'm still working full time. I know I made the HUGE mistake of googling withdrawals symptoms and reading how people are still withdrawling after 2 years. If it took you that long, please don't tell me that! I know everyone is different and I need to trust that God knows I would not be able to physically tolerate that. I have 2 young boys that need their momma! I'm probably going to lose my job as well but not do to this. I'm in sales and my numbers have been down all year. I inquired about going out on disability but my doctor said she could only write me out for 2 weeks to attend an outpatient program. I'm afraid if I did that, my boss would just fire me. My doctor also said there is no way I am still going through withdrawals...wow...I can't believe how ignorant these doctors are! Anyhow, any "positive" feedback on how long the blurred/fake feeling lasted you would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again for your support!!

God Bless,

Tricia

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I've been googling withdrawals from antidepressants compulsively for over 2 months now trying to find answers myself as I, too, have been struggling for over 5 months now. I have never replied to any posts, but I wanted to give you my feedback in hopes I could possibly help you. My best suggestion at this point is don't google anything as it will only freak you out more. To this day, I still can not find anything positive anyone has to say about coming off antidepressants. Also, it appears people go on for months and months even years feeling the affects of the withdrawls. For me, I was on Lexapro, 20mg for about 10 years. Then my GP prescribed me 2mg of Klonopin for sleep (bad move) that I was on for over a year. Long story short, my doctor was trying to ween me off the Lexapro and start me on Zoloft as she felt the Lexapro wasn't working anymore. My total taper was only 5 weeks. I was having bad reactions to the Zoloft so she put me on Cymbalta for a week which I didn't like either so I decided to just stop which I know I shouldn't have done. I was also weening myself slowly off the Klonopin at the same time. In the beginning, my initial withdrawals consisted of being extremely tired, agitated, crying, dizzy, fuzzy head feeling, blurred vision, feeling fake, no emotions, depersonalized, numb, sweating at night, trouble sleeping, no appetite, diarrhea, compulsing on everything, etc. I started taking a natural supplement called 5-HTP along with tons of vitamins which seemed to be helping and I started doing better. Then about 65 days ago, I decided to quit vaping and all my withdrawals systems came back full force and I have not felt myself ever since. The dizzy, blurred vision and dissassociated feeling is driving me nuts. I'm driving my family, close friends and work associates absolutely crazy because I can't stop talking about it. I, too, am so afraid I will never feel normal again. I am almost 44 years old, am married and have 2 young boys I need to care for. I've been trying to stay positive, but everyday I wake up and open my eyes and everything is still blurry/fake feeling, it gives me less and less hope I'll ever feel "normal" again. I've recently had all my bloodwork and hormones done and of course everything came out normal. I will tell you this though...things are slowly starting to get better everyday. I'm sleeping better and I am not compulsing or having anxiety like I was. I am 100% better off the medication minus the weird feeling I have. At this point, I have freaked myself out so bad after reading what anti-depressants do to the brain that I couldn't even go back on them. The truth of the matter is, everyone is so different and is going to respond differently. You may be one of the lucky ones that snap right out of it. I have 2 friends that have successfully came off antidepressants with little side affects. Just take it day by day and please don't google things because that's what messed me up! I am here if you have ANY questions. Stay strong...you will get through this!

God Bless,

Tricia

• Posted

Tricia, thanks for your honesty, I have to say I feel lucky for some part I don't have any anxiety at all and really don't feel I need or want the drugs anymore. My eyes and head are truly my main problem, I feel like I'm underwater, my eyes are blurry, I'd even go as far to say that I feel drunk, without having had a drop!! I've only been four the meds for 7 days so get that it's really early for me, yesterday I felt almost normal and thought maybe I was a lucky one and the worst was over.....how wrong was I....today has been awful.  All I want to be able to do is go out for a run, I normally run 3-4 times a week, but don't think I'd be safe out running with my head as woolly as it is ?? It's so frustrating, coming off the drugs after so long should be such a positive and I'm feeling rubbish

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel sweetie...that's how I still feel...totally dizzy and drunk feeling minus the alcohol. I, too want so bad just to have a clear head but it's not happening...I don't want to have to go through the holidays like this. I just wish I knew how long it would last so I can move forward. Every dr. I talk to just wants to put me back on an antidepressant which is so scary. They don't even care or comprehend what is going on. Like I said, at this point, I have freaked myself out so bad, I don't even think I could ever go back on anything again in fear of becoming a vegetable from my mind pulling a trip on me. Once your withdrawals subside, you should definitely start running again. I've been trying to walk 3-5 times a week even though the whole time I am so dizzy. Like I said there are certain things that have gotten better but the dizzy, foggy, weird feeling is the freakin worst. I went out to dinner last night with my mom and just looking at her my head spins. Things are just so blurry, it truly drives me nuts. I've managed to drive to work everyday so I guess I'm doing better than I think. Can you please keep me informed on how you doing? I would love to communicate regularly and help you out in anyway I can. If you find anything that helps you please let me know! The good thing you have on your side is that you tapered down 100% properly. My sisters mother in law was on Zoloft for 15+ years and did a slow taper like you and got through the withdrawals! Stay strong and please reach out to me anytime!!

Tricia

• Posted

Will definitely keep in touch, we can help and support each other😊 I'm hoping I will continue to have good days as well as the bad, at least that way there is always hope and a light at the end of this long tunnel!!

Really want to run I have a marathon to train for 😕 But will just have to take each day / week as it comes.

Was talking to my mum earlier and she said about going to see a go, but I fear they will just advise going back on the drugs or try and give me something else to counteract the symptoms, I've worked damn hard to come off the pills I don't want to go back on them or anything else.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

How are you feeling today? I totally agree with you regarding if you went back to the dr.'s they are just going to want to start you back up on the medication. My doctor is telling me that the way I'm feeling has nothing to do with withdrawals so clearly these doctors have no clue what they are talking about. You seem like you have a really positive attitude about the situation so that is going to get you really far! Hang in there and again, I'm here if you need me!

Xo,

Tricia

• Posted

Hi Sarah!

It has been 9 months since I've been on this site and wanted to check in with you to see how you are doing.  Were you able to stay off your meds?  Unfortunately, I was not...the withdrawals got so unbearable for me I ended up in the hospital for 10 days.  Before I go on and on, I will wait to hear back from you to see if your still on this site.

I hope all is well!

Tricia

• Posted

i realize this is a really old post, but im going through this right now just after 6 weeks of taking lexapro. Im on week 4 of withdrawals and the fuzzy vision and whoosh feelings of where the brain cant catch up to what youre seeing are horrible.

Did it ever get better for you?

Taking lexapro for anxiety was my worst mistake. my dizziness began with it. then it stopped for 4 days when i stopped lexapro and then WD began and my dizziness went back up. As for my dizziness motion sickness pills dont work. Its a weird fuzzy, blotchy vision where the brain cant catch up to what the eyes are seeing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.