Sertraline Withdrawals

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on sertraline for some years, 7 in total i think.  I have been reducing my dose for 18 months and now got to the point i am off them, wow, why did my gp not warn me about the withdrawals??  my eyes feel like they are alien to my body, when i move my head i feel i need to wait for them to catch up, i feel like i am underwater as my head feels "fluffy"...how long does this go on for?  I haven't taken any pills for a week now...

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So I jumped from Sertraline 100 mg daily for a year. I am six days in and dragging big time...my eyes are dryer than usual, tinnitus is ringing like Big Ben, just above the sinus is a dull headache, and I feel exhausted, truly exhausted.

Last year my dose was doubled when I received a dreadful diagnosis that rattled me. The additional 50 truly helped me through. Frankly, I felt fabulous...and I gained 40 pounds...which feels like I gained an entire canyon of stones.

After reading that others shared my experience, I made the decision that 40 additional pounds were more damaging to my MVP, my OA, my JRA, my Sjogren's, my Crohn's, and my osteoporosis than it was worth in bubbly enthusiasium.

Today, I am considering going back on the 50 mg I had been on

That's my two cents worth...may we all succeed...may we all find our own peace.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Check this for a taper...

My doc has suggested I taper off 200 mg Sertraline as follows

3 days 150mg

3 days 100mg

3 days 50mg

STOP!

(Bit Worried)

• Posted

Wow!

That is fast.  Have you not been on them long?

I have been on them for 4 years.  I have just started coming off mine.  For the last 2 months I have been advised to take 50gm one day and 25gm the next.  I have not had any side effects then.

I unfortunately have had a nasty stomach bug so non of my med's have worked so I have had some very bad side effects to go with the sickness.  The doctor has then advised me to now do 2 months of 25gm before then going to every other day and hopefully I should be off them by Christmas!  

My side effects have been zoning out, short temper, light headed, tingling hands and feet and cramps in my legs at night.  She has said now my stomach bug is going that these should go away but had I carried on with my plan I wouldn't of got any of them.

Hope this is of some help for long term users!! 

• Posted

Hi reply,

I have been on Sertraline at a 150mg dose for 23 years. I've had a mental health deterioration and my psych thought it wasn't working. They reduced my dose in three weeks and the cross-tapered with Duloxetine. I've been off Sertraline for 3 weeks and my withdrawels are getting awful. I am needing Diazepam 5mg to cope with the constant anxiety attacks. How are things for you? Are your withdrawels easing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.