Sertraline works, just hang in there!!! (2 years)

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I havnt been on for a while, but just wanted to send out some positivity that sertraline does work! It might not feel it at the moment  for all of you just starting out, but if you hang in there and take everyday at a time, then you will surely see that light at the end of the tunnel.............

MY SERTRALINE STORY

I have now been on sertraline for 2 years... 8 weeks on 50mg, 1year 3 months on 100mg, now on 75mg for pst 5 months. I started taking sertraline for severe anxiety. I couldn't go out of the house for 4 months, I couldn't do anything around the house I could barely look after my son as I didn't want to be around anyone feeling the way I did, so I tried all herbal stuff first but it just wasn't helping so doc put me on 50mg sertraline and 40mg x3 daily propranolol. I stayed on both for 8 weeks then weaned off propranolol myself as I didn't want to take tablets in the first place let alone take 2 different types. I started taking sertraline at night just before I got into bed, as I thought I would sleep through the side effects and they wouldn't be as bad. It took me 12-16 weeks to see a difference and level out. I did see a difference before that but it was very up and down, but at the 12 week mark I saw a change, and light at the end of that dark tunnel. What helped me tnrough the darkest days paws taking rescue remedy when I was feeling very anxious, and doing word searches, I even learnt go knit and that kept my mind occupied zinc really helped through my bad days............ So for anyone starting or thinking they are not working etc.... Hang in there!!! Everyone is different. It could work straight away for some but for those of us that it dosnt, stay positive, keep busy and stay on a dose for at least 6-8 weeks before upping so it has a chance to work. Good luck everyone!!! I wish you all the love, peace and happiness. You are not alone!!! Xxxx

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Vikki, good to hear a positive post. How did you feel when you started it, did you get much side effects? I'm on day23, 6days on 25mg and 17dsys on 50mg and still feel rubbish. I know it's a long process tho so got to stick with it xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. What time of day are you taking sertraline?? I took mine just as I was getting in bed so I would sleep through the side effects. I did have morning anxiety but I pushed through it and got myself up and kept to my routine and felt not to bad. I did have nausea,heightened anxiety, sweats etc. but I knew I had no choice but to carry in as I couldn't live like what I had been. Some days you may feel as if it's not working and feel like giving up on it, but if you can persevere as much as you can, and literally one day you will wake up and feel great again!!!! Xx

• Posted

Hi Vikki, thanks for getting back to me. I take mine in the morning before going on the school run. Yes I've had nausea, which I've not anti sickness tablets for, heightened anxiety, insomnia plus more. I've actually had an ok day today but I know there will be good and bad days still to come. I went to my drs today and she wants to up me to 100mg from tomorrow which I'm scared about. Did you have side effects when you upped your dose? Also I'm on lupin 50mg brand and my new prescription is ranbaxy 100mg so a different brand so I'm scared about that too as I've heard can get bad side effects if changing brand. Have you changed brand? Xxx

• Posted

Hi yes mine changed names a few times along the way, and I always stuck to ranbaxy brand but yest got new prescription and wasn't my usual brand but everything ok. If u like a certain brand just ask your doc to put it on the prescription. If u are still feeling crappy maybe change the time you take you take the sertraline. Also I know it's very hard but try and wait a while before upping doses so it has a chance to level out. I was told by my doc that 50mg is start up dose and a lot of people settle on 100-150mg but can go up to 200mg x

• Posted

Thank so for your advise Vikki, hope your doing ok still on the meds? I'm not too bad. Upped to 75mg on Friday and felt ok but abit lower today hopefully will settle soon xxx

• Posted

Hi Vikki, I've now upped my dose to 100mg a week ago been on sertaline for around 4/5weeks now. Since upping the dose I've been really tired but last couple of days my anxiety has kicked in again and had negative thoughts. Is this normal? I'm so scared it won't work for me, I know I need to give it time but just want to see if it's normal to get anxiety again when it was starting to settle. Thanks xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. Yes I had heightened anxiety, tired all the time, nausea. It's because you have upped each dose quite quickly. Sertraline takes a while to settle. You should settle on 100mg. It took about 6-8 for me to start noticing but I would say weeks 10-12 I felt NORMAL again. It's different for everyone, but I still say to this day that sertraline got me out of a very dark hole x

• Posted

Thanks Vikki for getting back to me. Ok so the anxiety and negative thoughts should settle down again? I see my doctor next Wednesday so will try and stay on the 100mg for longer as I have gone up doses quite quick with my doctors advise. Just scared I'll be stuck like this as I've had no ok days since upping to 100mg 8days ago but I know it does take time. You still finding it helpful? Was yours for anxiety or depression or both? Thanks for your help it's good to speak to someone who knows what going through xx

• Posted

Thank you for such a positive story. Really hoping to give it a try.

One thing that concerns me is how do you guys mange the day to live (mainly work) whilst juggling all the side effects?

• Posted

Hi Thomas, how are you? I've been on sertaline for 23days now. I had 2 weeks off at Christmas and I needed it because I did feel bad but went back to work last week and this week and although I'm not sleeping and have nausea I get through it, don't know how but I do, I usually feel better of a evening too. You may not got side effects or just a few anyone is different. You don't know until you try x

• Posted

Thank you Vicki, exactly what I needed to read today.

I'm on day 20 at 50mg and despite a couple of not as bad days last week and my appetite returning I've now gone backwards. Appetite gone again, and feeling utterly horrendous.

I didn't know it was even possible to feel this low.

Desperately need to see a glimmer of light at the end of this very long and dark tunnel.

Really pleased you've had a positive outcome from this. Love, prayers and thoughts to everybody else on this awful seeming to be never ending journey.

Clare xx

• Posted

Hi, you will have more bad days than good in the beginning, but try and keep yourself as occupied as you can, if you are having severe anxiety then maybe try some some rescue remedy. I swear by the stuff and it helped me soooooooooo much in the beginning. It did take a while to level out for me but when it did, it was lite really one day I woke up and felt great. I started to have more good days than bad and could actually do stuff and feel positive. You are still in the early days but everyone is different so it might not take as long as me. I wish you well and am always here to talk or help anyone through xxx
  • Posted

Hi Vikki, great to hear a positive post and so glad you are feeling better! I've been on sertraline nearly 5 weeks, 2 weeks on 25mg and nearly 3 on 50mg. I felt a little better last week but this week am feeling horrific again, Keep thinking the meds aren't working and I'll never feel any better. Every day is such a struggle! X

• Posted

So sorry your feeling awful again Sara.

I know exactly how your feeling. Are you managing to go to work? I haven't made it in this week.

I seem to be getting worse not better.

Clare xx

• Posted

Hi Clare, have managed work so far this week but have felt horrific! Not sure how I've got through the days. I feel I'm getting worse too, expecially after feeling a little better last week! Your welcome to message me if you'd like :-) x

• Posted

Hi, you all sound like me.  How many days domyounthink it will be before you feel even a little better?  I am losing hope here. Anxiety and depression are so debilitating then these meds make it worse.  Need to be shown some light at end of tunnel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.