Sertraline works, just hang in there!!! (2 years)

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I havnt been on for a while, but just wanted to send out some positivity that sertraline does work! It might not feel it at the moment  for all of you just starting out, but if you hang in there and take everyday at a time, then you will surely see that light at the end of the tunnel.............

MY SERTRALINE STORY

I have now been on sertraline for 2 years... 8 weeks on 50mg, 1year 3 months on 100mg, now on 75mg for pst 5 months. I started taking sertraline for severe anxiety. I couldn't go out of the house for 4 months, I couldn't do anything around the house I could barely look after my son as I didn't want to be around anyone feeling the way I did, so I tried all herbal stuff first but it just wasn't helping so doc put me on 50mg sertraline and 40mg x3 daily propranolol. I stayed on both for 8 weeks then weaned off propranolol myself as I didn't want to take tablets in the first place let alone take 2 different types. I started taking sertraline at night just before I got into bed, as I thought I would sleep through the side effects and they wouldn't be as bad. It took me 12-16 weeks to see a difference and level out. I did see a difference before that but it was very up and down, but at the 12 week mark I saw a change, and light at the end of that dark tunnel. What helped me tnrough the darkest days paws taking rescue remedy when I was feeling very anxious, and doing word searches, I even learnt go knit and that kept my mind occupied zinc really helped through my bad days............ So for anyone starting or thinking they are not working etc.... Hang in there!!! Everyone is different. It could work straight away for some but for those of us that it dosnt, stay positive, keep busy and stay on a dose for at least 6-8 weeks before upping so it has a chance to work. Good luck everyone!!! I wish you all the love, peace and happiness. You are not alone!!! Xxxx

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello All, I've never posted on a forum before but this chat really resonates with me. I am currently back on sertraline for the third time and each time I start back up I find the side effects worse. I should never have come off them but because I felt so much better I thought I was ok until the anxiety hit me like a train! I started back on them just after Christmas 25mg for 8 days then 50mg for 26 days the 75mg the last two days as I've felt so awful! I seemed to be getting much better last week but have gone backwards now, the mornings are horrendous i have been dry heaving but nothing to actually be sick and the nausea lasts pretty much all day! It's unbearable -I'm desperate for a light at the end of the tunnel! Just feel so hopeless like its never going to go even though sertraline have been brilliant in the past for me - it's just taking so so long! Evenings are usually a little better but then I don't sleep very well and then I just feel horrendous the next day - it's like a vicious circle! Does anyone else struggle with nausea so much? x

• Posted

Hi Kerry, like you I have been on and off Zoloft all my adult life, at least 8 times, and like you each time I get back on I find the side effects worse. I don't know if it's because of aging. I remember reading somewhere that older people get worse side effects. 

Yes, I had terrible nausea and vomited a couple of times, and other new side effects. I am on 100mg. Hang in there. Zoloft should work for you because it had worked in the past, and not just once but all the times you got back on so this is very encouraging. I think you are very close. In 2-3 weeks you should feel much better. Stay strong. You've gotten thru this before and you will again. 

And like me, after this time, we both won't get off z. smile 

• Posted

Hi Kerry, I know exactly what you mean!! The mornings are just awful, I have the dry heaving and nausea. I've been on sertraline just over 5 weeks altogether but just over 3 weeks on 50mg. The week before last I had some improvement but felt I went back to square one the week after, I thought it was supposed to be up and down days not weeks!

I'm desperate for that light too! Here if you need to chat xx

• Posted

Thanks for replying, how are you now? I'm doing what I can to think positive and know I'll come out the other side but sometimes it's so hard it just all consuming and feels never ending!

One day at a time (sometimes one hour) but hopefully soon I'll be back to normal x

• Posted

Hi Sara thanks for replying it sounds like you're very similar to me - which although is comforting to know others feel the same - I wouldn't wish this on anyone! I hope you have had a better morning and are feeling a bit brighter! I find it incredible how much anxiety can affect your life and be so debilitating! Have you tried CBT I have had it twice in the past once for OCD which was life changing (I had no idea how much time I spent obsessing until I had the CBT) and once for anxiety which did help but I feel needs refreshing now x

• Posted

Hi Kerry, sorry your not feeling good. I'm back on sertaline, was on it a few years ago for anxiety and panic attacks and it helped me so much but then anxiety stuck again and brought along with depression so back on it again but I don't remember the side effects being so bad last time!! I've had terrible nausea, waking up with it so my dr give me some anti sickness tablets which do help but make me sleepy, heightened anxiety and low mood and negative thoughts. I was on 25mg for 6days 50mg for 19days 75mg for 6days and just started 100mg today and I feel abit sick and tired so far today hopefully it will start to settle down. How are you getting on? Xxx

• Posted

Hi, i feel for you.  Just the same, feel so horrendous and the sickness every day.  I dont know if some people are just lucky with this med and can feel better in a couple of weeks but i seem to have such severe side effects i cant cope with them. I am thinking ssris are maybe not for me and there must be something else out there.  Have you tried others?
    • Posted

Hi Ann, how long have you been on the sertraline for? I know the side effects are horrendous but please dont lose heart I have only ever used sertraline because when it works it is brilliant - completely changed my life a few years ago and brought back the old me that I had almost forgotten! You will get through even though at the minute it's a battle to get through a day (even an hour sometimes) try everything you can to distract yourself from the feelings that does help - I should really practice what I preach to be honest but it's so hard I know! Sounds like there's a few of us in the same boat but we will get there xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle hope you're ok, I had antisickess tablets (domperidon I think) when I last started sertraline and they helped. Today I have managed to not be sick or dry heave I did everything possible this morning to think positive and try not to let the feelings overwhelm me and somehow I managed! Still anxious and shaky but I find that the sertraline make me really hungry and because I'm not eating much I think that's contributing to a lot of the nausea too, so doing all I can to eat better. I'm hoping that because I feel a little better today I am making progress as I am desperate to feel better! I hope your doing ok, I get really tired with the tablets too but hopefully you will start to feel much better soon with you being a few weeks into your meds. Are you eating ok? x

• Posted

Kerry, all things considered I’m doing pretty good, with the exception of this cold/cough that hopefully will go away. I have been back on 100mg since Nov 19. I am out of my attack, not consumed by OCD thought 24/7. Thank God.

I know when you’re in the throes of it, it feels never-ending but just hang in there. It will get better. Try to take a walk (I find nature very therapeutic when I am going thru an attack) or a warm bath. Stay strong but be gentle with yourself. We are here if you need to talk.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Kerry, yes I have had a few blocks of CBT in the past and have had some recently too. I find it so hard to think positively when feeling like this. How long have you been on the sertraline now? Are you able to work?

Sending love your way xx

• Posted

Hi Ann, yes I was on citalopram (another ssri) for 8 years and it seemed to work, but came off in May as was feeling much better, the anxiety hit me again in September. How long have you been on the sertraline? X
    • Posted

Hi Kerry, glad your feeling ok today. How long have you been on meds for? I lost my appetite at the beginning just couldn't eat but forced food down. It's back to normal now thsnkfully. How you feeling this evening? Xxx

• Posted

Im a newbie to this, saw gp today who thinks i shoild go back on mirtazapine as i had less side effects and try to increase dose, gave me valium three times daily, im not sure about taking that as its addictive. Having time to rethink just now.  Want appt with psych as its better than gps thoughts but cant get one.
    • Posted

Hello Anna,

I am currently torn between Sertraline or Mirtazapine. Sleep is a major issue for me which is why the GP gave me Mirt. As far as side effects go, I only got a raging appetite however was sleeping 12-15 hours day! Did you ever get over the tiredness?

It didn't calm down and despite being well rested, I couldn't get through work while on it with the constant battle to stay awake haha. I lasted 4 weeks.

The doctors think Sertraline will be better for me and feeling positive about trying it reading the above. Expecting a rough week or three first though.

• Posted

Hi Thomas, when you due to start taking sertaline? I've been on it for a month now and it'll get worse before it gets better but hang in there xx

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words, I hope your cold is improving - it's freezing so keep warm and hydrated!

I too try and relax using a bath or a walk which sometimes is hard but it definitely helps. I feel like the last couple of days I am starting to settle, not been sick and eating a bit more! Still wake early surging with adrenaline but trying to manage that! Hoping I'm starting to get through this nightmare but still concerned that I may set back again (trying not to think about that though and stay positive) xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle thanks for your reply, I had quite a calm evening, I've woken again early full of adrenaline but trying some breakfast and do feel slightly improved on yesterday - desperately hoping this is my light at the end of the tunnel xx

• Posted

Hi Sara, I've been on the sertraline just over four weeks now and upped it to 75mg 4 days ago, I do feel slightly improved today and haven't been sick so hoping that the meds are kicking in and hopefully I'm getting through! I haven't been into work since Christmas, I've been signed off by my GP for the next three weeks in order for me to have the time to get through and hopefully go back then!

It is so hard to think positively but please try, it really will make a difference (I find it so hard but even a minute or so of positive thinking can give a little respite and hope). Hope your feeling a little better today xx

• Posted

Hi Kerry, how are you getting on? I'm on my 2nd day of 100mg, felt a little sicky this morning and very tired but got through the day at work. Seem to be getting more palpitations but anxiety is manageable at the moment xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I've felt a little better the last couple of days, still very anxious and overwhelmed but managed to get out for a walk and cup of tea with friends which was lovely! Still struggling with my appetite but it has improved. Really really hope I'm gonna come through this soon, how are you xx

• Posted

Hi Kerry, glad your feeling a little better now. What dose you on? I'm on day 5 on 100mg and no improvement as yet, just very tired and abit anxious but I know it'll take a few weeks on the higher dose. That's great you've managed to get out and see friends too. Yes me too, it's a long process isn't it?! Xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle I'm on 75mg at the moment, still feeling anxious especially in the morning but last night I felt more relaxed than I had in a while which was great! Hoping it continues as I can see small improvements each day but can't help but worry about a relapse! Keep going Michelle you will get through, I have to say in the past few weeks I have seriously doubted I would because I felt horrendous and getting through each hour was so so hard but I am definitely better than I was! Still a long way to go but you're right it's a very long process! Hope you're feeling a little better today xxxx

• Posted

Hi Kerry, how you getting on? Still not feeling great, very tired. Been on the upped dose for 6days now I know I need a few more weeks to start. It's just scary, I keep thinking it won't work and I'll be stuck like this it's so not nice xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I feel like I'm getting a little better each day, I still feel anxious but we have a few things going on at home contributing largely towards that. I am eating a little better and being able to do more! How are you? Are you feeling any relief yet, try not to panic it will work and you will definitely come through, it is hard but definitely something you will get through! I'm still feeling tired but that should subside! Keep going Michelle every day is a step closer xxxx

• Posted

Hi Kerry, I'm glad your feeling some benefit now, that's really good. How long have you been on it for again and what dose you on? I'm on day9 of 100mg, today as been abit better but been anxious last couple of hours and still very tired. I too have issues at home so that probably don't help either. I'm just trying to get through each day and hope that there will be a glimmer of hope soon xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I started on 25mg on Boxing Day and worked up to 75mg about 12 days ago, if you've felt slightly better today that is a really good sign! The improvement I feel is only small each day but it makes a difference! How long have you been on them for? Keep the faith your glimmer of hope gets close every day xx

• Posted

Hi Kerry, I started on 25mg on Boxing Day too was on that for 6days then went upto 50mg as my doctor wanted to start me on 50mg at the beginning. Was on that for 19days then doctor wanted to increase me to 100mg so I did 75mg for 6days then been on 100mg for 9days so same time as you. Will you be upping your dose? Xx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, my doctor wants me to stay at 75mg for now but I am reviewing it with him next week, I am thinking it may be worth me increasing as I just can't quite get myself back to normal, although like I said I do have a lot going on at home which is contributing hugely so it's difficult to judge! How are you doing now? I hope you are starting to feel better xx

• Posted

Hi Kerry, glad your doing ok. Yeah I would see what your doctor says about upping your dose. I'm doing ok thanks. Had a couple of good days lately thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.