Severe anxiety and panic attacks before and during period?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello there I am a 20 year old female I’ve been dealing with bad anxiety for the last 11 months now. I’ve been off and off medication since. I was wondering if any other girl/women experiences worse anxiety/panic before and during your menstrual cycle? I feel i I do 😕 it gets really bad that I feel like I’m loosing it someone please help and tell me what’s going on I hate this so much I find myself okay and than the next moment suffering from an intense panic attack I feel like lately my symptoms have been wise 😢 any tips ? 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there! Yes! Myself and my daughter both have this happen. Your serotonin levels drop really low before your menstrual cycle and your hormones are all over the place. Recently we have cut out all gluten and that has helped SO MUCH! Also, try yoga and meditation when you're feeling anxious. I hope i don't offend anyone by saying this....but i will admit that i used to think meditation and yoga was weird. I got to the point that i was willing to try anything if it helped me and i can 100% honestly say it has helped tremendously. It has helped my daughter too which i am so thankful for. I'm a yoga junky now. 😊😊. They have it for everything. Try it along with cutting all gluten out and see how your anxiety is during your next cycle. Take care and good luck to you. Xoxo

• Posted

I’ve always wanted to give yoga a try but I’ve always thought it was “dumb” lol but I’ll give it a try 😕

• Posted

I’ve read up on this and it’s actually the hormone changes in your body! It’s actually really common and usually will go away once your homes balance themselves out again. 

Ive actually found my anxiety is better when I am on my period but in most cases your period increases your anxiety.

• Posted

Nooo in my case it makes things much worse 😕 especially cause I only have one ovary so my body works harder to produce the hormones 😕

• Posted

I lately realized the same but with me it's bery bad before period😢

• Posted

Yes I feel like I’m going mad 😢 I hate this time of month so much. 

• Posted

I get really bad about 10-12 days before my period. Anxiety and panic attacks are awful and sometimes I even feel really groggy and depressed. Usually by the 2nd or 3rd day after my period starts I feel a lot better. Sometimes even perfect. I hate it too. I do a lot of meditating and walking during the bad times. I have also learned the more I focus on it the worse it is. I just try to keep on doing what I always do during my “normal” days and it seems to help some. 
    • Posted

Yeah I seem to get better into my 3rd day also. And when I do I feel alot better almost like the old me but it only last so long. Walking and going outside like to the park seem to help me a lot. 
  • Posted

Thank god I’m not the only one! I get really bad panic attacks on the first day of my period, it doesn’t happen every month but im constantly afraid of it happening since they are really bad!
  • Posted

Hi Alex, I just wondered if you are still having anxiety during periods? I have looked into this a lot as I seem to have personality changing effects when I have my period, a couple of days beforehand too. I have horrible anxiety and feel down, and stressed. I have 3 children, and find it difficult to cope at this time of the month when normally I am fine. The past couple of months have been so bad that I have paid to go and see a psychiatrist. He tried to put me on an SSRI, but I don't believe that I need to be on something everyday so he has given me Lorazepam to take only when I get the symptoms.

• Posted

Hi all, I just recently start having panic attacks they wasn’t as bad as now.. I just notice they have really been Intense like a week ago. They started being intense on April 30th and I just started my period today May 9th.. it had been totally hell and scary.. did they get intense because of my period?? Again this is all new to me. I just want to feel like my normal self again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.