Severe anxiety before and during period

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have generalized anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I've kept a diary over the last 2 months since I had to increase the dose of my anti depressants. I am 43 years old and I've noticed that 3 days before and 3 days during my cycle and also around ovulation, my anxiety and intrusive thoughts are intensified times 10. Please tell me there are others here that go through the same thing because I think I'm losing my mind sometimes.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've too have horrible anxiety just two days before my period and the day before I end it. I'm super exhausted as well and have the WORST headaches with Blood pressure dropping right before it. Mines typically on the low side so I have to constantly eat salty foods and up my water intake. I find that diet helps tremendously. I'm a Health Coach and study Health /Nutrition for a living. I learned that a lot of women struggle with hormonal imbalances that can cause PMS symptoms. One of the best advice that I can offer or tips to try is increase lean protein add small amounts of sea salt and upping your fiber intake All these support adrenals balancing cortisol and helps calms everything down. . Also I've witness first hand benefits from taking magnesium, Omega-3s fish oil and vitamin D supplements. These are great for balancing hormones , its always wise to do a little research or work with a nutritionist just to see what works best for you. Its always good to Avoid sugar, caffeine, artificial sweeteners and alcohol especially around your cycle. Foods can alter your hormones and throwing your whole mental state out of balance as well. Be gentle, breath, eat every few hours snack on protein and good quality salt and healthy fats. And rest. I think rest is really over looked at. Be good to yourself and your anxiety will be lessen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.