Severe bloating

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all STILL waiting for my appointment to even get in the system for my gallbladder and its multiple stones.

Despite working with a dietician and naturopath and trying everything in the meantime, I am down to a tiny bit of coconut yogurt, not often with 3 nuts and blueberries ( dont tolerate dairy)  but cannot have this more than a few days or GERD returns and chicken with a tiny bit of rice and cooked veg, thats about it. My symptoms are mainly IBS and reflux and being diagnosed with GERD led them to my gallbladder eventually. Its full of mobile stones upto 1.5 cm.

I have lost 13kg so far since October. 

Bloat is my new symptom and has been come ALL the time, when I eat. I went out for lunch with my friend and had a burger on half a gluten free bun and sweet potato fries,  as I have been able to tolerate  this so far as long as its not more than once every 2-3 weeks or so, havent had it in ages and 30 mins later bloat, but so severe my stomach hurt and swelled and I ate it at 12.40 lunch time, couldnt eat dinner that evening as so bloated and full and was still the same by 11.30pm, woke this morning and although bloat has eased my stomach is full of gas and feels still full!

Do I need to get this rechecked? I appear to be getting worse, despite trying everything sad 

Even a cup of tea leaves me full

I have very little pain other than stomach ache with the bloating, do get niggly cramps under my rib but this isnt always and more annoying than anything and only had one attack under rib like a knife stuck,  since being diagnosed and that was with 2 lamb sausages at Xmas. I have been told to go straight to hospital if I get a severe attack with pain, so although the bloat isnt comfortable and hurts, it isnt a knife pain which would lead me to emergency!

Is bloating a normal progression as its causing me so much issues, I dread eating even more now and even drinking a full cup of tea leaves me full, its getting me down.

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Star,

?Every sympathy for you as I had that terrible bloating and discomfort for a year while awaiting my gallladder surgery for gallstones.

?The GP could only offer the antacid and antispasm meds. I researched and found out my symptoms matched small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, possibly due to the lack of stomach acid, or bile, or due to multiple antibiotics i had taken for h pylori and other infections, along with a time of great stress.

?You could look up sibo and h pylori to see if any of those conditions might be affecting you - there are tests if you have had them. I note you already are eating gluten free.

?I found probiotics, digestive enzymes (not all brands were good) and charcoal capsules then a course of oregano oil capsules have helped, but expert guidance is required for your own case and existing conditions. After the surgery, many improvements, although I also have a hiatal hernia and I think it will time to restore the bacterial balance again.

?Other than that, I ate light, low fat, little and frequent meals, very bland until surgery.

?I hope it all improves for you soon. Take care.

• Posted

Hi, I have been on the fast track diet for SIBO and no luck really, still getting worse, already tested for H pylori and negative. I was gluten free anyway as was primal/paleo most of the time for 5 yrs prior to this all starting, I rarely had bread which was organic sourdough kamut wholewheat bread and a loaf would last me more than a month, also on date night as we had indian, so nan bread or grilld, so bun on burger but I stopped all gluten not long after this all started. So not eaten gluten for 6mths or so now.

I have been on probiotics, digestive enzymes, herbal support, fermented foods, gut healing bone broth and more for several months and most of those I already took anyway for paleo/primal sad

Frequent meals make me worse, even the smallest portion makes me bloat now, so frequent meals make me want to run hahahaha I have never eaten more than twice  day usually as never been a breakfast person and adding it in hasnt helped sadly.

Thanks so much xxxx

• Posted

Bad luck that none of the usual possibilities has worked. I know it has been tough for me to find a solution and I am improved post op but still have some ways to go with this.

?Maybe it will all be down to the gallbladder in the end. I'm certain they affect us far more when they become diseased than textbooks would have us think  - good luck with finding a solution x

• Posted

I noticed you said you ate a burger and then lamb sausages at Christmas, to be honest there is alot of fat in these products so its no wonder you felt bad afterwards. The only way I can eat a burger is if I make it myself so that I know exactly whats in it, and I find sausages are a big no no as they use a higher fat ratio.

Unfortunately with gallbladder problems the symptoms do get worse over time and the more you aggravate it the quicker it seems to develop. If I've had a bad attack I find it does last a few days. 

If your symptoms are getting worse then you must go back to your doctor so they can monitor your increased symptoms as they don't know how bad things are unless you tell them. I have ibs too and I too get some bloating.

I find eating plain food a little but more often stays down much better even though I do feel sick if I over eat. Not all pain is the same for everyone, while I've read on here about those in severe pain that need to go to hospital, mine hasn't been like that but is more of an increased pain in the side going upto the shoulders as referred pain, its very very uncomfortable and debilitating but I can just about manage it. 

Go back to your doctor and let us know how you're getting on.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Thanks smile

The lamb sausages were over 7 weeks ago and made by my organic butcher and the only knife pain I have ever had and never eaten since. Symptoms have come back despite this. I eat the burger once evey 3-4 weeks as a meal out on date night usually and had ZERO issues with it, it doesnt have much fat and is grilled, I have checked the ingredients list.

I actually ate 2 pork sausages as a one off the other week with ZERO issues either from my organic butcher as was desperate for a change, havent tried again though as too scared.

I have been back to the DR yesterday, she said its perfectly normal with the gallbladder and I must stop the naturopath supliments which can cause more damage, expecially to the liver?  and use the meds for IBS she prescribed as it will help with the bloating and gas. She has also prescribed a low dose ppi which I am reluctant to take! She also said I need the gallbladder out and symptoms will increase until it comes out, so too present at emergency if I get any sharp pain. My specalist for my rare disorder is also trying to get me in quicker, through the hospital, so she was happy about that. So seems I just have to put up with it until I get that apointment.

I have never had an attack as such, other than that one inccident at Xmas, Mine is all IBS and GERD and now bloating and gas, but stll no real pain just the bloat ache and  aniggly cramp under my ribs which is more like a stitch.

• Posted

thats lucky, I can no longer eat burgers or sausages even homemade ones as you need a certain amount of fat on the meat to help it bind, but I was able to eat them initially but as the months have progressed I've had to be very careful. Everything I eat now causes pain it just a case of how much.

My consultant put me on ppi's initially but that was only when they thought I had an ulcer, they were ok to take and not really any side effects for me anyway.

Good luck and I hope you can get seen earlier, as from my  own experience it just gets worse.

• Posted

Thanks, yes it is getting worse, first it was nuts causing upset tummy, then coconut, then I couldnt stop going so diagnosed IBS! after bowel tests were performed. Then the reflux started months later, cannot eat dairy, lamb, gluten, coconut, eggs or very much chocolate, so diet became hugly limited and now I stick too chicken and rice and bone broth mostly which hasnt stopped this new blaot symptom, that is happening wth pretty much everything!

So yes getting worse and worse over the last several months, with a lump feeling most of time under my ribs now.

• Posted

Read your words: "...diet became hugly limited... hasnt stopped this new blaot symptom... getting worse... happening wth pretty much everything... lump feeling most of time under my ribs now."

There's a lot of obsession with diet and food in the gallbladder forum. IBS is triggered by specific foods. Gallstone pain is triggered by gallstones. You're describing gallstones, not IBS.

I was convinced I had IBS all the way into the operating theatre and that the pain was due to the specifics food I'd eaten or tried to eat. It pains me greatly to remember all the time and pain I wasted chasing the IBS red herring.

Your GP can't resolve this and neither can diet. The worsening and weight loss is your red flag to get into hospital and tell them what is going on. I'm passing my experience onto you because I wish someone had done this with me.

• Posted

thanks for your help, funnily my mum developed IBS with her gallbladder and still has it despite removal..
    • Posted

I have been restricting foods to stop the upset tummy and the GERD which works for a long while thens tops again sad

The Dr says its because the gallbladder is causing all the symptoms and secondary issues?

Right now GERD has taken a backseat unless I eat certain foods then it flares.

• Posted

Hi, Robax,

Unfortunately, IBS is a catch-all term, whether it's IBS-D or IBS-C.  In my experience, it mostly relates to the symptoms and not the causes. Because each person's physiology differs, some can eat foods that others cannot.  

Symptoms can be produced by various foods, but sometimes symptoms and certain conditions are related. If the gallbladder is incapable of storing or emitting the proper amounts of bile, the patient will either have too much or too little.  This can result in diarreha or constipation--one of the symptoms of gallbladder disease. Sometimes, a physician prefers not to thoroughly research a condition before pronoucing a diagnosis.   

I was also diagnosed with IBS-D before my gallbladder was removed. I had excess bile in my system.  My own research led me to find out that there is a hormone produced by the body that allows the bile secreted during digestion to be re-absorbed.  In the past two or three years, a clinic in the US has developed a blood test to find out if this hormone is present or absent.  

Of course, in my case, my gallbladder was removed in 2009.  After its removal, I still had, and have today, excess bile.  I take medication to absorb it.

I recently read on the web an article by a gastroenterologist stating that both forms of IBS aren't really diseases after all.  They're more like "conditions" rather than illnesses. I'm sure that offers no comfort to those who have to deal daily with the awful symptoms.

I hope that your gallbladder removal has finally helped you regain your health.  smile  

• Posted

also I am on a lot of health forums and they seem to think you can heal anything with the right food, obviously not lol as I have been trying!
    • Posted

Hi, Star,

Your mum may have bile salt malobsorption.  I do.  Please see my reply to Robax, below. xx

• Posted

yes thats interesting, she had hers out more than 20 yrs ago now.

She has a lot of bowel issues though and now has a bag, we have crohns and bowel disease in our family anyway. I have been suffering bouts of D since my 20s usually triggered with anxiety, however this with food started recently, nuts started causing intense cramps and running to the loo, it went from there!

• Posted

Dr has currenerly put me back on the IBS meds for bloating, spasms and gas until I get my appointment, I feel like I am just sat here waiting for either the hospital to contact me or to be rushed in from sudden pain, quite unnerving! expecially when being told on the health forum that all I need to do is flush( I think is a load of rubbish as I have read the science on it and about it actually been the oil stones !) and then i will be amazingly all good and should keep my gallbladder at all costs as I will be ill and disease ridden forever if I get it out as well as get cancer!) quite unnerving when I am deteriorating! trying to keep my brain focused as they also think coconut oil cures everything, even death i think  smile

• Posted

actually my mum has IBS C, she had to take meds to go for years until her bowel almost perforated, maybe she NEEDS bile?
    • Posted

"The Dr says its because the gallbladder is causing all the symptoms and secondary issues?"

That's basically what I'm saying as well... obviously not as a doctor, just as someone who had this. If you do have IBS as well as gallstones, then that is separate and will exist after surgery. Fingers crossed it won't.

• Posted

Hmmmm, I wonder.  Unfortunately, only some doctors make it their mission to learn all they can, and listen to and try to help their patients.  Others can't seem to be bothered.  

Perhaps a good dose of coconut oil?  smile. Sorry to learn that your mom is having to deal with all of this.  xx 

• Posted

Thanks, hopefully it wont but always had weak guts! every exam or stressful event has me running for the loo, however food never has, so this is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.