Severe bloating 7 hours after meal

Posted , 7 users are following.

It has been 7 hours since my last meal and I still feel extremely full. My stomach looks enlarged and feels heavy. When I burp I can taste food. It's so uncomfortable I can't sleep. I feel nauseated. I just had a bowel movement but it has not eased much. Does this sound like gastritis? Does anyone else experience these symptoms with gastritis? I was on Omeprazole (PPI) to help reduce stomach acid but my supply recently finished. I then switched to a milder tablet Tagamet (h2 blocker). I think I need to go back on the PPI which was stronger and more effective. I thought my stomach would have been healed by now but I guess I was wrong. Now I'm starting to wonder if I have something else like gastroparesis or hiatal hernia. We had a birthday dinner for my uncle and right after was when the bloating started. I would really like to be able to celebrate and enjoy meals with my family without suffering these effects. I've been going through this for over a year and I'm desperately seeking a solution. Please help. Give me some advice. Thanks.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would go back to GI Doctor. They scoped me and found my hiatal hernia. I can only eat very small meals, maybe 6 bites. I usually eat once per day, usually a soup or mashed potatoes. For a snack, maybe 6 goldfish crackers. I am also on PPI.

Tell your Dr. What's going on and see if he/she can help.

I find that if I put a spoon of baking soda in a glass of water, stir and add ice. It neutralizes the acid in your tummy, basic chemistry. It will allow the vomit to taste better or settle your stomachache.

Keep me posted.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry to hear you have to eat like that. Sounds rough. How is a hiatal hernia cured? Do you need surgery? What PPI are you on and does it help?

I'm definitely going back to my doctor and get more tests done. 

Thanks for the tip on the baking soda. I have a pretty good antacid that works. It usually helps to settle my upset stomach, so I don't have to throw up. The last time I threw up (about a year and 1 month ago) i remember the taste was horrible. Extremely acidic. Since then I've been taking this antacid. I was doing pretty well when I was on omeprazole, but since I came off, problems returned - bloating, gas, upset stomach...and every time my stomach gets upset I feel the urge to have a bowel movement and sometimes it's soft and runny. I feel better today though I don't have much of an appetite. 

Keep me posted on your situation too.

• Posted

Hi, you ate something your body can’t handle - maybe too fatty, too much salt etc. or you ate too much too fast. 

And you can’t heal your body with those medications - you need to change your diet and give your body the right food to heal.  As a rule of thumb - eat every that is not processed then you are fine (so cut out man made food as much as possible ) 

And if the doc didn’t test it, be careful with thinking you have too much stomach acid - you will have the same symptoms with hiatal hernia or low stomach acid. 

• Posted

Please suggest some foods that would be good for me.

I need to have an endoscopy but I may need to go overseas to get it done properly.

• Posted

If you’re not getting better, ask for an endoscopy.
    • Posted

Too much bloating recently, since I came off the omeprazole. I'm going back to my doctor and will inquire about the endoscopy. I've heard it's not done properly in my country. I may have to go overseas for it. Did you have one? Did you feel anything during the procedure?

• Posted

I didn’t have a good experience with it at all. I felt the tube going down even under sedation and felt panic although I couldn’t react because of the medication.  This upset me I developed severe depression within 24 hrs which lasted two weeks, cleared up and on the third week came back.  I react this way to any procedure involving sedation and medications prescribed by my GP often affect me badly.  I am hyper sensitive to anything medical and have had to avoid getting treatment for previous injuries I have had and so they didn’t heal properly.

However, everyone’s experience is different and some cope well with endoscopies.   I have autism which causes me to be hypersensitive or sometimes under sensitive.  My mum also had these medical sensitvities too.  My metabolism is just not very strong when I need any treatment.

The other option is a throat spray which is better if you can’t cope with sedation.  I thought I was going to get the spray instead and so I saw no risk to me in having the procedure.  I got a shock when I heard I was getting sedation.  I kidded myself on that it wouldn’t be as bad as general anaesthesia because you are awake although drowsy.  I soon realised that twilight sedation was even worse at least for me,

• Posted

I don’t know what country you’re in. I’m in the US and had an awesome experience the sedation was great lol I didn’t remember a thing and woke up right after they finished and was completely alert. After the procedure tho is uncomfortable I was really bloated and had to pass had a ton! I burped a lot after too but that because they have to fill your tummy with air in order to look at it properly. 
    • Posted

I'm in Guyana South America. I have to go check out the hospitals here. I have friends who are doctors so I'll ask their advice on the best option.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.