Severe burning in foot 14 days after ankle surgery

Posted , 123 users are following.

Qin had ankle ligament repair surgery after severe sprain.  Had surgery 14 days ago today.  Yesterday the cast was removed and got put in the attractive black ankle boot and told I could be weight baring.  Seemed things were going well and I walked with the aid of a crutch a little around house.  Well, I went to sleep around 11:30 pm.  I have tried in vain to sleep on my back and just can't so I prompt pillows up and layer on my side and elevated foot as best I could. Got woken up at 4:00 am with excruciat BURNING all over foot.  I tell you I've never felt pain like this before and that includes giving birth. It is now 5:45 am and I found this forum.  Has anyone experienced this severe burning after surgery?  I had a block during surgery Nd foot was numb for 48 hours and then it wore off I had some tingling and burning in my heel but that went away.  Now this burning started. I tell you Imwas in tears and I'm a person that usually can handle pain.  Please respond if anyone can enlighten me.

0 likes, 378 replies

378 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Didn't get on the forum yesterday. I was determined that it is onward and upward.  Had a good day yesterday and somewhat pain free.  Taking my pain meds and the Dr gave me Flexerall for muscles and  gabapentin for the nerve pain.  The  flexeral seems to,be helping the muscle pain in the back of my calf. Not sure the gabapentin is taking care of the nerves. Seems strange that during the day the burning pain is ok but then at night when I go to sleep I get woken up around 4:00 am with the burning. Luckily the duration of the burning is not lasting as long as it has been. The internet is a good and bad thing though.  You get on the net and find a wealth of good, as finding this site but then you pop in your pain and problems and get scared out of your pants.  In my instance when I read about my severe burning pain  it said that the nerve could have been compromised during surgery and it could be permanent .  I think with ankle/foot surgery the inability to walk for what seems like an eternity is the most frustrating part.  When people have other surgeries, like shoulder, hand surgery at least you can function and get around.  Thank God I have a wonderful husband that has been the best nurse, housekeeper and chef I am a lucky woman.  I pray that all of you keep improving.   Patience is not one of my virtues as I'm a mover and shaker and trying to learn that virtuue has been difficult for me.  Well i better get to my day. Was a great day yesterday as I got to take my first shower using the shower chair we got. It felt like heaven.  
    • Posted

So happy to hear your pain is under control, that for me also is key. The net is good and bad so I just try to stick to the good. I'm working up to a shower chair so feel your glee, little more each day. What are you managing for foot wear on your injured foot Jane? 

Time me to greet the day, enjoy! 

• Posted

I'm wearing a boot with a support sock. When I take my glorious shows now I get in the shower on my shower chair with boot on. Once I get in intake the boot and sick off and shower. My stamples and stitches are out now so I'm sn get it wet but am very careful and dry it as do as I get out. Hope your steadily improving on this Saturday.  Had another rough night last night with the severe burning around 4:00 am again but so far this morning  no burning yet and only  mild tingling. Going to try to walk around yhe house in my cam a little more today. Hoping walking will help. I look like a lopsided weeble woble when walking. Lol
    • Posted

Good for you, you trooper I'm inspired by you. I'm still at the just putting my boot on the floor working up to walking. I do have my boot off each time I'm not moving around. I showered with bare foot first time this week felt glorious. As far as your burning, I use arnica cream which helps me with that. Also gentle massage with coconut oil. I've heard the burning is the nerves getting back to normal.....I'm sure your wobling is adorable, can't wait to wobble...lol 
    • Posted

I’m having the horrible skin burning and wondered where you purchased  your arnica cream ... it’s been 8 weeks and sleeping is impossible sheets even hurt ..
  • Posted

Jane I have just left a long reply on Pippie's post so I won't go into all of that again. However, following a total ankle replacement, plating & pinning of my medial malleolus and two muscle surgeries the only real pain I have after 11 weeks is from the nerve. And its excruciating at times - what you are describing sounds the same ? Mine is across the 'inside' of my foot running the whole length and into my big toe. It has a constant burning sensation but at night is so bad I cannot sleep. We've monitored it really carefully and now think that when I lie down it is aggravating the nerve - its not just a tiredness issue. Ordinary painkillers don't work on nerve pain - your gabapentin will work but you probably don't realise it. Do you know that you MUST take it, and take it regularly as it builds in the system rather than acting quickly like a paracetamol ? Also my physio works specifically on trying to stimulate the nerve each week and I have daily work to do on it to get it to release a bit Ias well as knowing how to massage it when it’s at its worst). I know its horrible - and it seems madness that after such surgery we can be in pain from the nerve ! Mine is now slowly starting to get better - only time will tell.There are other pain relief options too such as a slow release patch, and I still have to take morphine a couple of nights a week to sleep. Other than that and my nerve drug though I am meds free. Try keeping a really accurate note of when it flares up and talk to your physio so they can help isolate whats going on. Good luck - probably see you on in the wee hours again !
    • Posted

Oh Barb you'll never know how much I appreciated your reply. I was beginning to think I was the only person with the burning all over my foot. It eases my mind a bit. I'm only 17 days post surgery. It's so frustrating to have this during the day and then all night too. I'm going to start a log (good idea). It's so strange that when the burning isn't happening the foot feels super and I feel great. I am taking Gabapentin. How often are you taking Gabapentin? Mine is 300 mg twice a day. Thank you again for your reply.
    • Posted

Are you still elevating your foot when sleeping?  I'm wondering how long I have to elevate it. I just can't sleep on my back and I've tried 
    • Posted

Hi Jane

im still elevating at nite but past few night still on my back which I loathe but my leg and foot are on flat bed now, no pillow under leg. My leg is super weak so strengthening I think is helping with leg being down now - can't wait to sleep normal again....

• Posted

Hi girls, I am elevating sometimes and to some extent (sorry that sounds a bit mad !) but what's good for one thing is bad for another . . . .😋😋 I too had one of those great foam wedges which was brilliant at the start but as I've now realised that lying down with my foot up aggratevates the nerve VERY badly I've largely stooped. But I do try and keep it up most of the day when not walking.At work they have bought a really got leg raiser to go in front of my chair which is shaped and helps keep it elevated - I just take my leg down when the nerve starts to burn too badly.

I'm a 'belly sleeper' so what I am doing now (and was pre-op when my ankle was de-funct) is to use a small rolled up towel to basicaly fill in the space between the front of my ankle and the bed. When my burning is at its worst and I can't bear for my foot to touch the bed at all this really helps as it keeps the foot in the mid air not touching anything, but still supoorted. 

Although truth be told when its really bad I am a complete wriggler as I try to get comfotable.r

• Posted

Hi Jane - you've gone a bit quiet so I was hoping it was because the burning is settling down and its becoming a bit more manageable ? or at least bearable  . . . 
    • Posted

Hi Barb. Yes I've been off the forum for awhile. First I forgot my password. Probably pill induced I guess.  Then remembered it a few days ago. The burning for the majority of time has disapatted but flares up every once in awhile. I find that it's when I have the boot on. If I take it off and rest my foot on two pillows and ice it, there is no pain. Thanks for the rolled up towel idea. It works!  Called Dr a few days ago and begged to be able to take the boot off when I sleep at least. He granted the wish but said I had to put this sock foot brace in that laces up and protects sides of ankle. Finally some sleep!  I have my follow up,appointment Feb 18 to hopefully get out od this. Lucky boot and into that little sock brace and start physical therapy for 6 weeks. Ankle Agni vision mark is still swollen but not quite as bad as before surgery.  Sure hope I can get boot off on the 18th.  Still icing. My greatest joy is using my shower chair and showering.  Hoping PT goes well as we leave for the Dominican Republic to resort in Punta Cana for a nieces wedding on April 5,  So want to enjoy the beach!  How are you doing?  You have truly been a lifeline for me at my worst times. Thank you. 
  • Posted

Sorry, to hear that you are experiencing burning.  I'm 16 weeks post op and I've had burning the entire time.  I mentioned it in a post early on, but no one responded, so I thought most people didn't have it.  Do you think the gabapentin is working.  I still haven't tried it.  Mine seems good in the morning and gets worse by the end of the day.  I take Ambien so it allows me sleep.  I got some Lidocaine patches to put on the incision site and it helps a little, it kind of pads the incision.  It's hard to even have a soft sock on it.  I can only wear shoes that are cut below the ankle.  The PT told me to put my fingers on the incision and gently move the incision back and forth.  It is somewhat better at this point, but not gone.   
    • Posted

Hi Linda 

my burning is getting calmer but no, not using gabbapentin. My real issue right now is since PT started aggressively manipulating my ankle my pain is unbearable and it's putting me backwards for my home exercises and it feels like something is constantly jabbing me. It's a long weekend here and I'm going try and get into my Dr this week.  My massage and acupuncture people think for me knowing me, would be a passive approach. I'm feeling very unhappy that this has happened as it was bad enough. Sorry to have gone off, but it just seems like one thing after another. Are you walking Linda?  Are you still swelling. In regards to the incision I do a very gentle massage on it. Also I've laid aloha Vera plant on my burning foot at nite and gave me relief. I hope this helps. Happy Sunday ✨

• Posted

Linda, so glad to hear from someone else that has experienced the brutal burning pain.  Yes, the gabapentin has helped tremendously.  It is for nerve pain. The burning now is seldom and can't wait to start PT. I AM hoping yours has eased too.
    • Posted

So sorry to hear PT has made your pain worse.  I sure hope that doesn't prove to be the case when I start.   Hoping as of this response you are doing a little better. Good tip about the Aloha  Vera. Thanks 
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

Did you get any side effects from the gabapentin?  I'm senitive to meds and I'm always afraid of new meds.  The burning is a little less so it's giving me hope that it will eventually go away.  Good luck with PT, it helps get you to walking again.  

LInda

• Posted

I hope you're feeling better today Jannie. You are moving forward even though it seems like a setback.  I have to buy some aloe from the store.  That is a good idea.  I wonder if Lowe's has it.  
    • Posted

Hi Linda

hope the aloe Vera helps, it did me. Maybe just buy a plant it be cheaper...seeing surgeon tomorrow, my Dr today did not like I'm getting sharp jabbing pain pretty much steady. So I'm trying to keep my wiitts about me, until il I know more. She thought an MRI would be called for. Keep you posted, I'm discouraged but holding up as best I can.  Thanks for everything everyone' 👣

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.