Severe Constipation following Laxative Abuse

Posted , 8 users are following.

i've battled an eating disorder and laxative abuse (40 Dulcolax per day). I've been diagnosed with a lazy colon but I'm now desperately constipated, bloated, thoroughly uncomfortable and miserable. Anyone out there been the same and, if so, how did you treat/solve?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I think you are going to have to change your whole lifestyle and teach your body new ways of working towards a healthier lifestyle

More fruit and Vegatables and less sugar and eventually it will become easier to go toilet without using synthetic substances to make you go.

Exercise is also great to help with underactive bowel

• Posted

Your welcome

I hope it goes well for you, I was anorexic for many years and suffered horrendously with constipation plus other related problems which have surfaced as I have aged, I hope you can find a solution that will help you to heal

• Posted

im the same its a horrible disease really struggling at the moment

• Posted

Still have a fixation with my weight and I suppose I always will have but I have come to except to a certain extent that I am not going to be healthy at 5stone 3pounds so now I hover around 9 and at 5.4 I think it suits me and everyone who I know agree I look younger now than I did at 45 so I don't worry to much.

I think depending on how old you are you have hopefully caught it in time to maybe stop and major health issues as you get older.

How's your diet now and if you don't mind me asking what age and wei you are

• Edited

I promise that it can get better with the correct advice and support

Just try to remember your body has to last you a long time so the better you look after it now the more it will help you to live a long and happy life

• Posted

thanks have been inpatient outpatient etc ,ed team have closed my case as didnt manage to get to a meeting because of my bad anxiety. my doctor is really good but have no family or friends around!!! glad you are ok

• Posted

I suggest that you have to go back to your GP and request another referral

OK so you missed y appointment but you are ill and we do things like that and you can go back, you need help to learn coping strategies otherwise you will carry your illness with you for years and it can reck relationships whether it be family or friends

• Posted

its encouraging to hear your story Alexandria.

I too still have fixation. Currently weigh 7 st 4 lbs. Finding it so hard as the constipation makes me feel so bloated so the whole cycle starts again. Already had one kidney removed and existing one in Stage 4 Disease, therefore just a matter of time until dialysis/search for transplant. Believe it or not that’s not what scares me. What scares me is the prospect of having to have a bag if bowel packs up altogether.

Sent from my iPhone

• Posted

It's like listening to my past, I am lucky that my kidneys kept working but I have fatty liver and UC of the bowel, these are problems are ones that I could have avoided.

Have you been to see a therapist, do your family know how much this is effecting you and are they supportive

My family didn't realise how bad I was, they kept believing it was something physical which in a way it is but its our minds that drive us to abuse our bodies whether it's weight control or self harm, theirs loads of mental health issues that can reck our lives

• Posted

Nobody knows except you. I’ve kept it a secret for 40 years, now 55.

Sent from my iPhone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.