Severe Constipation following Laxative Abuse

Posted , 8 users are following.

i've battled an eating disorder and laxative abuse (40 Dulcolax per day). I've been diagnosed with a lazy colon but I'm now desperately constipated, bloated, thoroughly uncomfortable and miserable. Anyone out there been the same and, if so, how did you treat/solve?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Kay, I struggled with an eating disorder since I was in my teens and started abusing Exlax around age 20. I recovered from my eating disorder in my late 20s but continued using laxatives every day because my body was so dependent on them. I turned 30 last month and finally decided to stop taking laxatives after hearing stories from many women who also abused laxatives and ended up with serious health problems. I was very anxious about the process of coming off of laxatives, but the solution ended up being simpler than I expected.

This is what works for me: I eat oatmeal every morning with a scoop of psyllium husk (any fiber supplement would probably work) and drink an apple cider vinegar drink (1.5 tbsp apple cider, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and a little stevia) and coffee. I eat mostly plant based, try to get in some activity (walking or weight training/HIIT) every day, and drink a lot of water. And in the evening I eat a couple prunes. I was really skeptical about diet and exercise being effective after 10 years of abuse, and it did take a week or two for my bowel movements to become regular, but be patient and trust the process!

• Posted

your question is you battled an eating disorder and laxative abuse (40 Dulcolax per day). I've been diagnosed with a lazy colon but I'm now desperately constipated, bloated, thoroughly uncomfortable and miserable. Anyone out there been the same and, if so, how did you treat/solve? so i think you search on google

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.