Severe Constipation following surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I have already posted on this website about my ovarian cysts which were removed on Monday 3rd March. It is now day 8 since my surgery and I am suffering from severe constipation which along with the pain of recovering from my op is making me very uncomfortable. I have tried a suppository and Senna tablets during my hospital stay, Resulting in a very small amount of relief on day 5. Since returning home I have tried Senokot tablets and prune juice with no results. I am trying to eat sensibly, and am now desperate for any advice which will result in some real relief. Before leaving the hospital yesterday I was assured that they could hear bowel sounds and that my stomach should settle down, although it is still very distended (I have a large vertical scar).. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, I was the same it was worse pain than the actual scar, mine was also vertical, I necked a load of lactulose to get things moving, after that I was fine.
  • Posted

Thank you Kazreeeen they did offer me Lactulose at the hospital, but I declined it and decided on trying Senna instead. Will give it a go now and hope it works!
  • Posted

I've been taking benefibre which is a flavourless and odourless powder you can add to hot or cold food and

drink. I've been having it in tea, I had problems before my op too but it's been great. I found it in asda. Worth a try to keep things moving :-)

• Posted

Thank you Lynda for your advice. The chemist at Asda has recommended trying 8 x sachets of Laxido in the next 6 hours to get rid of any impacted stools, then Lactulose 2 x a day to keep regular while on the painkillers and to try and keep moving around, not easy when I am so tired. I will try this first. Will eat lots of fruit & vegetables too for dinner. Hoping for a quick result smile
  • Posted

Hope that helps :-) there's nothing worse. I had my op 5 days ago and the tiredness isn't great when they are suggesting moving around. All I've done is sleep!
  • Posted

I know the feeling Lynda got up for a hour to cook and eat a pre-prepared dinner and veg. Feel exhausted now, back in bed watching TV and drinking Laxido. This is the life haha!
  • Posted

Hope you get it sorted love. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water smile x
  • Posted

7 x sachets later and we have a result, like giving birth, but what a relieve wink
  • Posted

hi jenny, i had my operation on march 5 two days after yours, wink how are you now? im constipated as well before leaving the hospital but i just ate a lot of veggies and fruits especially papaya, the doc told me to avoid banana and apple. i hope all is well on you.
  • Posted

Hi Ashley I'm ok think I took too much Laxido though redface been running too the loo all night! Still very sore and so tired, resting lots. Don't feel up to going out yet. My scar is healing well, but have two weepy blisters at the bottom of it from the ster-strips. Will keep them covered for a couple more days and see the doctor on Monday if they have not healed. My tummy is getting flatter every day biggrin which is great. How are you feeling, are you getting enough rest? Hugs for you XXXX
  • Posted

Hi jenny, i hope youre well and fine now. How's your appointment with your doc? I was supposed to went to my doc as well on monday but my mom got sick whos the only person i can be with so resched it for tomorrow. My scar is healing well but i dont understand the feeling of pain at night above my scar, i feel bloated. I dont know why. Maybe its because im sleeping sideways wink
  • Posted

Hi Ashley didn't need to go in the end as the blisters have healed. Going next week instead to extend my sick note as no where ready to go back to work. I'm doing ok, a little uncomfortable at night too, sore in the incision site and as soon as my bladder starts to fill, need the loo as quite painful. I am hoping it settles. Still using Lactose twice a day, as painful to open my bowels too and it helps.. I presume its all the bruising and internal stitches. Went for a walk yesterday to the shop with my daughter, exhausted after and needed to lie down. Getting cabin fever now but still unable to do much, so resting lots. At least the weather has been nice the sunshine always cheers me up smile XXX
  • Posted

Hi jenny, good to hear that you were able to walk and doing fine. wink 3 hrs ago i just met my doc and she said that i can now uncover my scar after 2 days as its already dry, she recommend to put dermatix ultra 3 times a day to avoid keloid. Im on 2 months leave, how about you? wink kinda boring at home but just enjoying my rest everyday. The pain above my scar is normal said my doc because she said its bikini cut. Lol. wink

i hope you get well soon xx

• Posted

Hi Ashley not sure yet but I expect to be signed off for another 5-6 weeks at least, when I see my GP, the hospital only gave me an initial 2 week sick note, but from advice I have had it will be at least 8 weeks before I'm ready to return to work. I work with special needs children, so pretty physical work. Mine is a vertical cut so will take time to heal. Started to feel the effects of losing my ovaries now, night sweats have started and keep getting hot flushes during the day, so I think I'm starting the menopause sad Pretty bored now too, but need to be realistic you cant run before you can walk and I cant walk far lol wink Take care of you too X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.