Severe Disability Premium

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been awarded the enhanced rates for mobility and daily living and today I received a letter saying I might be eligible for Severe Disabilty Premium. I've never heard of this and there's a form to fill in.

It's asking me if anyone is being paid a carer's allowance for looking after me and if anyone lives with me. The answer is no to both. I've been without a carer for a long time because my personal independence payments were cut to a very low amount.

I'm getting some help to get a new carer but if I say in the form that I don't have a carer at the moment will that mean I'm not eligible for the severe disability permium?

Do you get this payment? What is it they're trying to find out? Even though I don't have a carer I'm not capable of looking after myself, I'm just surviving the best I can.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should have said the enhanced rates I'm getting are PIP.

• Posted

First I am glad you have received the correct award but I am sad that you are ill-I wish you well
  • Posted

If i'm in your city, it will be a great honor to me to be your free carer.

• Posted

Thanks but it's being arranged.

• Posted

Hi georgia, firstly congrats on your pip. severe disability premium is a part of esa if you are in the support group. if you are awarded pip esa automatically send you the is10 form for sdp. to qualify for sdp you need to be in esa support group, get the care componant of pip (any rate) live alone and no one gets carers allowance for you. if all that is the case then you are entitled to an extra £61.85 a week on your esa.

• Posted

Thank you Gill,

You explained that really well and I fit all the criteria.

• Posted

excellent, they also back date the sdp to when you became entitled. i got mine a few weeks ago and it was backdated to october 2015.

smile 

• Posted

Wow that's great! According to a Social Welfare Support worker I should have been getting it since I no longer had carers and that's a few years. If I have been getting it I wonder why they'd send me a new form since I got PIP though. It should've just carried on surely.

• Posted

well put your form in and see what they pay you, if it is years then you will be in line for a lovely pay out. 

good luck.

• Posted

Hi Gill

This happend to my partner ....DWP had her as claiming carers allowance for 5 years after her mum passed away....when in actuall fact she was obviously no longer a carer .....so reduced rate for 5+ years .......i noticed the error .....she got all the difference back dated as she was actually entitled to SDP as she is in reciept of DLA MOBILITY HIGH & CARE MIDDLE ....and ESA

But previously on income support

So split payment from IS then ESA!!!

• Posted

When my son was a teenager we weren't being paid child benefits for a few years and when it was discovered we got a nice back payment. It's like saving up without knowing it! cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.