Severe Disability Premium

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been awarded the enhanced rates for mobility and daily living and today I received a letter saying I might be eligible for Severe Disabilty Premium. I've never heard of this and there's a form to fill in.

It's asking me if anyone is being paid a carer's allowance for looking after me and if anyone lives with me. The answer is no to both. I've been without a carer for a long time because my personal independence payments were cut to a very low amount.

I'm getting some help to get a new carer but if I say in the form that I don't have a carer at the moment will that mean I'm not eligible for the severe disability permium?

Do you get this payment? What is it they're trying to find out? Even though I don't have a carer I'm not capable of looking after myself, I'm just surviving the best I can.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm new to all this iv just phoned jobcentre and they told me the sdp don't exist have I been fobbed off I get esa support group and enhanced pip and live alone if u have any answers or advice please let me no thank u so much

• Posted

Yes you have been fobbed off. I got a form about it through the post that I had to fill in so it exists!

I've been fobbed off in a way for 2 or 3 years since not having a carer because i didn't know about it.

• Posted

I sugest that you phone again and ask to speak to a manager if the person says it doesn't exist.

Look it up in the yougov site first as proof.

• Posted

Jen ,

I back GeorgiaS 110% on this

SEVERVE DISABILITY PREMIUM does exist £61.85 a week .....you have to have an underlying entitlement this means in receipt of a qualifying benefit usually DLA mid or high care rate or PIP monlbikity component/ enhanced mobility component ..ESA support group...CHECK YOUR ESA entitlement letter (the one with the rates and ammounts (at present its £186.20pw or there abouts per week paid every TWO weeks )

If you do not recieve the SDP amoubt you will get £124 per week PLEASE CHECK THESE AMOUNTS

• Posted

Hi yes I contacted then today and had a payment by 3 o'clock I can get it thank u

• Posted

Hi just want to say thank u so much got intouch with benefits again yes I can get it and they even put money in my account today these forums are so good with people like yourself with knowledge on benefits thank u again
    • Posted

Hi Jen

So glad you managed to get it sorted outi'm shocket at how quick .....but stranger things have happend

Theres loads of good folk on here ,

I came here looking for help and the responces where great

Theres always a reply with decent information

• Posted

That's fantastic Jen! razz I'm so glad I posted this thread. I hope a lot more people read it who don't know about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.