Severe disability premium ESA.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, 

Has anyone any experience of claiming the severe disability premium of ESA and if so how long it took to process from them receiving the forms back?.

Thank you.

x

1 like, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I receive it - always have done since I was placed in the support group.  I never had to apply or fill in any forms - I was given it automatically and when my ESA is reviewed/reassessed it has always continued.
    • Posted

Hi, yeah i thought i should have got it when i got placed in support group but i didn't i was just given the enhanced even though i do get pip care & mobility, so when i rang up about it they sent me the is10 form to fill in for it.. she did say it would be back dated to when i was  granted support group which although i was only informed 2 weeks ago i was awarded support group from the 5th feb.

They got the form back today and i know it takes up to 5 working days for the forms to be scanned into the system so was just wondering from it getting to the right people how long it takes to get sorted out.

x

• Posted

No idea how long it will take, but take heart, there are thousands like you that have missed out. Only recently the DWP were challenged over this and their excuse was that if the claimant didn't claim Income Related ESA, from the start then it is up to the claimant to find out later if they were entitled to it - If you didn't claim it - you weren't offered it.

Now the DWP have been told and they accept that they were wrong - it was THEIR responsibility to check every claimant that was put into the Support Group who should get it irrespective of whether they claimed it or not or claimed either Contribution/Income Related.

Seems they were of the opinion that if you don't know - they sure as hell won't tell you.

• Posted

Yeah i read that somewhere that's it up to us to find out what we're entitled to, not them to tell us. Typical DWP tactics if you ask me. Even when they sent me the form the return envelope wasn't a free post envelope it was just a normal brown one with handwritten free post esa is10 written on it, no actual adress or post code, now to someone they could have just assumed it was all it needed and posted it back. It of course would never had got there. in my mind yet another dwp trick to make sure you don't get what you should be getting. i wrote the adress on myself and sent it recorded delvery.. rolleyes 

• Posted

The DWP have a long history of not wanting to make any effort to help without first be forced into it.

I lost a fortune in benefits that thw DWP actually admit that I should have had - well in excess of £20,000!!

Why then haven't they paid me?

Maybe it had something to do with not submitting an appeal in within the 13 months allowed. My 'excuse' was that I was in seriously ill in hospital for months (Feb - April) and following that was so doped up at home that I didn't know what day it was never mind know about the decision (my wife put the unopened brown envelope in the drawer along with the rest of the post).

By the time I was in a fit state to deal with everything - 13 months had gone by.

Ironically I subsequently got the DWP to do an 'any time revison' proving that (a) the original decision was wrong and (b) that I was entitled to this money.

They refused to pay up because they didn't have a formal appeal. 

• Posted

Hi gill50535

I've herd you can claim this but not sure how to go about it and surmising it wil take a cple weeks just think of the back dated money lol gd luck xx

• Posted

Hi christina. i have since read online it's the usual 6-8 weeks to process but yeah if backdated to the 5th of feb it will be a fair amount. x

• Posted

hi Gill.

just read your post last night about severe disability premium is it.

must admit you've got me there. ive honestly never heard of it and wouldn't have a clue how to get it. is it yet another assessment you have to go through even if we get get esa income related support?

what do I do? ring jc+? or write to them. couldn't read all your post some of it missing for some reason.

anyway thanks all the same. freda.

• Posted

Hi freda. The criteria for SDP for esa is you must be in the support group and you must be claiming pip care componant and no one must be caring for you or claiming carers allowance for you. if you meat that criteria just ring esa and ask for the SDP form, i think it's an is10.

There is no assessments or anything as you must already be claiming the correct benefits so if you qualify then ring esa. x

• Posted

Hi Gill, I'm in the Esa support group Contribution base, PIP Daily Living standard and Mobility standard, Living with my parents.I am being paid £125.05 a week, am I able to claim severe disability premium?

Also do I've to pay for prescription and visiting the dentist, now that I have been put in the contribution support group?

Thanks Twiglet,

• Posted

Hi, i'm really not sure about contributuion based esa for sdp or prescriptions as i'm on income based. The best advice and can give you is to ring your local welfare rights officers (you can find the number online or through your local job center). They will be able to clarify it all for you.

Hope that helps.

x

• Posted

Hi Gill, i went to welfare officer a few weeks ago and they help fill out some forms.

I will wait for a reply first, then I will go again.

Thanks Twiglet,

• Posted

Hi Gill, i phone the Jobcentreplus this morning and they said that I should be intitled to SDP,they will send the forms out today.

Thanks Twiglet,

• Posted

That's great news. I hope they process it quick for you. Mine was done within 2 weeks and had the money and back paymemts in my bank within that time too..

• Posted

Hi Gill, I received the is10 form today and I have filled it in and sent it back to them in the post.

Why does it take them 2 weeks to sent out a letter these days?

Thanks Twiglet,

• Posted

Hi Gill, I had a call back from the jobcentre this morning and the money will be back dated up to 7th October 2016, and will be in my bank account on 10 October 2016,

Thanks Twiglet,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.