Severe left groin pain (female- 6+ months)

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am a 19 year old female and have had severe groin pain for six months now. The pain is indescribable and takes my breath away, it is so sharp almost like someone is viciously ripping my leg from my pelvis bone. It happens all day everyday consistently no matter if I'm resting or walking. Nothing stops the pain except for naproxen which I have been taking everyday as I have no choice, I can't live with the pain. Usually naproxen works but for some reason recently the pain won't go away even with naproxen. When I first got this pain I was constantly in a & e and the doctors office in hysterics and the only tests they did no matter how much I cried and protested were a urine test and one blood test which came back clear. Everyone kept sending me away saying nothing was wrong. Eventually one doctor just felt around the top of my thighs a bit and then told me i had a strained a muscle in my leg and then when I went back a few weeks later she changed her opinion to a bad groin strain. However i think she's wrong as it's been six months, the pain is unbearable and constant, leaving me no quality of life without strong pain killers everyday and now they don't even help. I kept going back and last month I finally got an x ray which came out clear. I'm at a loss of what to do, the doctors refuse to listen to me and send me away no matter how much I plead. I've become seriously ill with anxiety and have bad health anxiety because of this I constantly thinking I'm dying or have a serious illness, I commonly have panic attacks because of the pain and wondering what it could be. I'm afraid of having this pain for the rest of my life and I'm afraid that I will never find out what's wrong. If anyone could point me in a good direction or give me some reassurance I would be so grateful

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It sounds awful Jordan and I have stabbing sudden pain in my groin several times a day usually just when I am walking, standing - I never know what brings the pain on.  However, I am 69 and have osteoarthritis in my hip but at 19, surely you do not have that?  Maybe you should consult once with a private doctor, for which you would have to request a referral from your GP if you can.  Then you might get some answers. You should be having a scan I would say.

Good luck and best wishes

from Rosemary

• Posted

You are not alone I was wondering if you ever found out what it was.  I sit and cry because you are right it is not a quality of life for anyone to live. I went to the ER I couldn't take the pain and they gave me a cat scan, MRI x-ray etc... nothing at first they thought it was a hernia , then a groin strain and like you I thought ok but it been almost a year I quit a job where I was doing heavy lifting and the p[ain went away for a minute but now I have s very easy sit down job and I'm still always in pain no one will listen to me 

• Posted

Hi everyone 

i really hope i can help, i have this sudden horrendous pain in my left groin, as an elderly lady and you can imagine the tole it has on me and of course immediately the words hip replacement are the first thought, but my hips are fine. Like you have spent time in A&E screaming in pain and i can vouch it is far worse than childbirth. 

How every it has been found by an MRI that i have a CAM Lesion on my hip there are a few types, this is where the joint deforms often with a flattening,  sometime with excess bone growth and traps the nerve. sending this torturous pain through the groin like someone is drilling with a hammer drill. sound familiar, i have not yet seem to have found what brings it on, as i have full range of movement laying down when examined, but can be out shopping and collapse in tremendous pain or sitting in a chair, the worst is being woken from sleep. 

I suggest you push your GP hard to investigate and get referred to an orthopedic consultant, Google CAM lesion and take the information with you, mine appears to be a sper in the joint which is the hardest to treat, i am having my second injection  next week as i am virtually house bound with pain but something has to be done, 

• Posted

Omg you poor sod it must be awful for you 😞

I have had sciatica for many years now and I too have a lot of groin pain which is so debilitating that I have to go and lie down and take my concoction of drugs until it passes.

Apparently this type of groin pain is common with sciatica.

I feel because of your age they are assuming that you haven't damaged your back which is disgraceful, as an ex paramedic I have often been gobsmacked with patients conditions no matter what age they were and one should never assume anything.

Having a daughter your age I know how you can pester the hell outta people, go see your GP and ask to be referred to go see orthopaedic surgeon.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi everyone. Thankyou for your responses. I had the pain for an entire year and was non stop on strong pain meds- it was absolutely the most awful thing I've ever felt, I would not wish it on anyone. Doctors could not give me a correct diagnosis, barely gave me the time of day. So to this day I don't know what happened or what is was. I must admitt I still feel very let down and sad about how I was treated by medical staff and the whole situation. I would advise anyone who can afford it to follow their intuition and to use a private doctor- unfortunately I myself couldn't, but hey, all I know is that I haven't had any pain in about 1 or 2 years so happy days 😊 I now hit the gym, in my head I feel the exercise helps against pain. P.s. for all those suffering, try using the law of attraction- 'the secret' is a great read. Sending love and prayers x

• Posted

Jordan, How are you doing? Long story short, I woke up in the middle of the night with sharp stabbing groin pain. Right side first, then left. Debilitating. I was put on Topimax, which is a drug used to decrease nerve impulses coming from the brain. It is also used for seizures. No side effects and it works wonders. I was finally able to get off the narcotics and pain patches I was using every day. I suffered for several years but finally feel human again. Please let me know how you are doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.