Severe menopausal side effects

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am suffering severe menopausal side effects. I am permanently flushing, all my primary senses have been dramatically altered and I'm having severe panic attacks

I feel so unwell that I cant function normally and cant go out or.talk to anyone on the phone I just dont know what to do. Dr has just prescribed anti-depressants which I am reluctant to take but dont know what else to do. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi there! Sorry your having such a rough time , and I know how your feeling . I’ve been through the symptoms for years and it’s not easy . I didn’t take any anti depressants though so I can’t relate to that but , I have had the bloating /weight gain and heavy periods and flushing of the face for years . I try to do things a bit different to help me manage the changes like , eating more vitamin A stuff , drinking lots of water , and doing things to keep active . I find this place is a great place to talk to other woman so I read a lot and try to talk to other woman about all this and that helps a lot too . Just know your not alone and a lot of woman are going through this horrible hormone change . I have heard it will get better and I am trying to remember that every day that it’s just a phase of our lives we have to go through . God bless ya and stay strong ! We all will get through this , one day at a time .:-) 
    • Edited

Thank you so much for your kind words and support. I feel so paranoid and panic stricken all the time that it was so very hard to post on the webpage but I just had to know if anyone else was or has suffered with such extreme symptoms!
  • Edited

I am relactant to take antidepressants too. But if you feel you can't cope perhaps you should consider. I feel so so anti-social too; don't want to talk to anyone face-to-face or on the phone except my husband and daughter. I feel cut off from the planet. But I am hoping it won't go forever. Please try to remind yourself that this won't go on forever. It will all end one day. Ypu are NOT ALONE.

• Posted

Thank you for replying to my post. I needed to know that I wasnt going mad and that someone else has or is suffering as badly as I am. I never ever expected this level of symptoms and I never realised just how many issues you could have all at once. My mother menopaused very young and she never suffered like this and she never actually gave birth. My late brother and I were adopted, not that that makes any difference. But I always thought that having kids helped with preventing this sort of thing. After being told I'd never have children due to polycystic ovaries I magically had 2 sons. I thought all my hormone troubles were over - I should be so lucky!

• Posted

It is magical that you have 2 sons with the symptoms you had! Enjoy their company and watch them grow. Stay here. Always share here. Ask for help. There is always some of us here who has time and energy to write and support each other. There are days I have nothing to offer anyone and there are days I feel sad for another lady suffering and pull myself together to give all my support. Yes, it is very important to know that we are not alone and meno is not a plain sailing for many women -unlike some lucky ones. Take good care. It will be over one day! smile
    • Edited

Hi Tina,

You are definitely not alone in these horrible feelings and symptoms. I will be 51 this April. It feels like I have been going through perimenopause forever. I have good months and horrible months. This is definitely a horrible month. The absolute worst of all my symptoms is anxiety, terror and panic attacks. I have been up for a few hours deep breathing and thinking “ yes I’m going crazy this morning or I’m literally dying”. My mornings seem to be my absolute worst for me. My doctors have given me a prescription for anti depressants, which I don’t take because of fear of dependence. They have also given me xanax in .05 mg. If I’m really struggling I cut the xanax in 4 small pieces and only take a 1/4 of the pill. That tiny bit of xanax usually does the trick and all my panic and terror go away. Which tells me my crazy hormones are playing tricks with my mind. I know all too well these symptoms are so difficult to deal with at times. You are not alone. Some day these horrible symptoms will be a distant memory and we will be living normally again. Just think of how thankful we all will be. Love and Hugs ❤️❤️

• Edited

Omg Debbie that’s exactly what I’ve done in the past! When my physical symptoms have gotten SO bad that I thought I was on the verge of a certain heart attack or stroke, my mom has given me a .05 Xanax (on 3 separate occasions) and EVERYTIME it’s worked....I don’t take them regularly because I KNOW I’d be dependent, but what it did was make me realize it wasn’t a heart attack or stroke and that anxiety from fluctuating hormones can DEFINITELY do these things to us!! 
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, thanks for that. I will ask my doc about xanax and see what he says as I'm not taking anymore sertraline thats for certain. X

• Posted

HI Tina ... yes sorry that your going through this crap, along with all us on this site, when I was younger all I throught was you just got fat and hot sweats 🤣..  omg how wrong was I, every week there seems to be a new Symptom happening... Iv been going through this for 4 years now, and still have new symptoms coming fast, so not good... I’m on antidepressants thank god..i now feel that I can  cope better with what is thrown at us, during this crap, and my doc told me it would help with hot flushes as well, and you know what for ME it did, no more hot flushes yeah, one less thing to bother with... try and take each day as it comes, and slowly and surely we will all get through this rubbish together big hug 🤗xx

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I just read your comment. So the antidepressants really helped you? Any weird side effects when you started? I have my antidepressants, I just haven’t started taking them. I’m getting to the point that I think I may really need them to be able to function normally again. Thank you, any input would be greatly appreciated ❤️

• Posted

Hi Debbie .. it’s very hard to say if you will suffer any symptoms with antidepressants..BUT even if you did, it will settle down at the longest in a few months.. when you compare it to the menopause, where from day one, to god knows how many years we have to put up with so many different symptoms... so for ME I New it was for the best, not every one wants to take meds, but why sit there and suffer day in, day out for years 🤔.... my hot flushes have gone from, really bad, to none at all now, since being on antidepressants ( Prozac ) and I’m happy again now...to beable to cope as best as I can with all the smytoms that are thrown at us, so yes for me it is a good thing.... what antidepressants are you on??? As not all give you side effects any way 🤗x

• Posted

Hi Dawn, thanks for your reply. I was given Sertraline. I took only one pill and almost immediately my symptoms worsened so much so am waiting for ambulance to come and check me over then I will be contacting my dr at opening time to organise some other treatment! X
    • Posted

Hi Tina .. bless you, how are you doing now chic? Hope it all settled down for you now, your having a rough time with things, please let us know how you are doing now big hug x
    • Posted

Just to let you know Dawn, I had a senior gp from my surgery who also happens to be a woman call me. She spent over half an hour reassuring me and urgently prescribed me low dose of hrt. Although not totally out of the woods am starting to feel a bit better. Thank you for your concern and support. Hugs and X's to you.

• Posted

Take magnesium, DIM, drop caffeine

• Posted

DIM Complex (Diindolylmethane)

Its derived from cruciferous vegtables

Do you see pattern where the dr's perscribe antidepressants?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.