Severe menopausal side effects

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am suffering severe menopausal side effects. I am permanently flushing, all my primary senses have been dramatically altered and I'm having severe panic attacks

I feel so unwell that I cant function normally and cant go out or.talk to anyone on the phone I just dont know what to do. Dr has just prescribed anti-depressants which I am reluctant to take but dont know what else to do. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry about all this Tina.  Isn't this transition fun?  (TOTALLY NOT)  

All of our hormone systems work together and after menopause our adrenal glands attempt to help out. They will over produce some hormones.  Which will explain your panic attacks.  (Flight or fight hormones)  

Many doctors prescribe anti depressants at this time.  Some women think they help, others don't.  Your body is just trying to adjust to a lack of estrogen/testo/progesterone.  Until your system adjusts to this new normal, many women have symptoms and feel like they are going nuts.  

Hope this helps.  

• Posted

Hi Gailannie, yes your reply does help alot. I justv dont understand the fact that I have always had low hormone levels due to polycystic ovaries so dont see why I should be suffering with such severe symptoms. X
    • Posted

Hi Gailannie,

I found your post very informative and helpful.  I’m really struggling with anxiety myself.  I wonder do you know if and when your hormones settle down (please God) this awful flight or flight symptom will ease off ? I’m praying it does but somehow I can’t imagine it.  Absolute nightmare.

Hugs Deb x

• Posted

Tina, every woman has her own unique chemistry.  While your levels may have been smaller than other women's, the lack there of, is still enough for your body to create symptoms.  Your adjustment may be harder, because of other hormone systems and the havoc it's playing with them.  

That's the best I can offer.  Obviously your chemistry is changing.  

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I wish there was a patterned time line for all this, but unfortunately there isn't.  Each women is very unique.  Many women say it will take a year, of slowly lessening symptoms.  There are women who even in their late 70s and early 80s who will still have hot flashes, but most don't.  

Try to do everything you can to be good to your body.  Sleep, whole foods, a good multivitamin, some quality time for yourself.  Hopefully you'll adjust soon.   

• Posted

Thanks Gailannie,

Very grateful for your reply.  I hope so to.

take care x

• Posted

Hi Debbie, the panic attacks can stop if you can find a treatment suitable for you. I had a call from a female gp who is a senior dr at my surgery and she spent half an hour reassuring me then made out an urgent prescription for a low dose hrt. I have only taken it for 3 days but am feeling better. Try a menopause vitamin supplement or talk to your gp about what might suit you. Hope this helps. Hugs and x's.

• Posted

Oh Tina...i feel for you! I also have days where I want to stay under the duvet. Anxiety itself is exhausting, and then when you add in the other peri symptoms it can be a real struggle some days. Things that work for me: get up in the mornings! laying in bed when my anxiety can be at its worse, makes it even worse. Getting up and starting the day (as hard as that is sometimes) helps. Don't drink too much alcohol, makes it worse the following day for me. Get enough sleep- tiredness and anxiety are not good bed partners.

I have chosen to take sertraline to help with the anxiety. it really has helped (although be warned, the first couple of weeks can worsen the anxiety/poor sleeping etc). Many people have strong views on both sides of medicating - my own view is that everybody is free to make their own choice! Do what you need to. Hugs

• Posted

Hi Rachael, thank you for your response. I o nly had to take one pill and all my symptoms worsened immediately. No more of them thank you very much. Waiting for ambulance crew to check me over as had really bad flushes and panic. attacks for hours, so bad I got chest pains so going to call surgery when it opens to get some hrt as cant take this. Hugs back to you X
  • Posted

Tina,

Hi! Have you had your thyroid checked? I felt this way too and found out that I had Hashimotos Disease. My dr put me on thyroid meds and I felt like a whole new person. Then I started feeling bad again and was on the verge of losing my mind, but my thyroid was in Normal range. I made an appt with my GYN and she found me very low on progesterone. She put me on a compounded cream of low dose estrogen and high dose progesterone, and guess what?? I feel great! I go back on the 22nd, just had my blood drawn, and she will read my results and adjust me as needed.

I hope this helps!

If I can answer any questions for you, I would be willing to try. I know what its like to feel like your losing it, with the severe anxiety and panic attacks, pacing the floor, holding your head just pleading for help.   

I hope you find peace,

Laura

• Posted

Also, I would like to add that I am 45 and I strongly believe that I have been going through the menopause game since I was 35. My mother’s family ALL started going through it in their mid 30’s. I say this simply because, this is when my anxiety, panic attacks and unusual periods started.  Now, at 45, my list of symptoms is a long one, but I have learned how to manage most of them. I went through very short bouts of depression, but thankfully it went away before I had to go on antidepressants. But I was put on Lorazepam for my anxiety in 2006 and I am on the same exact dose now, that I was I 2006. If my anxiety flares up, I take Rescue Remedy all natural gummies, and that usually does the trick. Only if it is really bad, will I take an extra Lorazepam. I know that benzodiazepine’s are horrible for you, but they tried to wean me off of them and my body didn’t respond nicely and I almost had to be hospitalized. So I will stay on it for now, and maybe once this menopause is over, I will try again. Until then, I will be comfortable in managing my anxiety and panic attacks.

• Posted

Hi Laura, just wanted to say took one sertraline pill at 6pm last night and within 2 hours my hot flushes were much worse so was anxiety attacks. Waiting for ambulance to arrive and check me over and take me to hospital if necessary as have had some bad chest pain.Will also be contacting my surgery to get my dr to come out and see me.
    • Posted

Hope you are feeling better and its not nice to find someone with similar issues because its terrifying but it is reassuring.  I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression for over a year and only realised yesterday that it is strongly linked to my monthly cycle! And thats only because the GP asked me to do a diary.  I've had the most awful week running up to my period (left sided chest, shoulder, neck, jaw, face pain) and did end up in A&E on Saturday night, much to my shame, with it.  Everything was fine and they just look at you like you are wasting their time, which I was because everything was clear. I feel so generally unwell too with hot and cold, achy everywhere, headaches, retching, sensitivity to light, I could go on! I'm also on sertriline and it did make me much more anxious but the depression is less severe now, I was also very nauseous for a couple of weeks when first started but that settled. They say these ADs are not addictive but I would be scared to stop taking mine now incase the depression got any worse. Oh and I also use meditation app which really does help me calm down when panicking, and would strongly recommend as gives you 10 minutes peace from your mind which is lovely. I darent go to see GP for a while, went three times last week with chest pain!  Has anyone got any recommendations for anything herbal or over the counter that will ease symptoms?

• Posted

Hi Rachel, good to know I'm not the only one who feels the need to use the emergency s ervices. I had an ambulance out this morning then after they had gone I contacted my surgery had a long talk with one of the senior gps also a woman who has put me on low dose hrt as my symptoms are so extreme. I cant toletate the problems getting worse before they get better on the sertraline so I'm taking the hrt route it seems to be the best option for me. Good luck and hope you feel better. By the way my own gp doesnt recommend herbal remedies as they are not licenced and can clash with prescription medicines. Look on NHS Choices website as they have alot of information on alternative treatments for the menopause. X

• Posted

Hi! I am so sorry, that you are going through all this. Drinking hot water and doing some meditation in morning might help through it. You can also take "Menopause Ease" 100% organic supplement. It helped my elder sister alot through mood swings and joint pain she had during menopause. It has no side-effect and is better option to try rather going on anti-depressants. You can buy them online. If you are willing to give it a try let me know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.